Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
And all four of them were the most important players on their teams despite being cherry pickers.

Duncan Keith was the most important piece on the blackhawks. I've had this opinion for a while now. Forwards are the least important piece in the playoffs. Your D core and goaltending is what gets you through. Chicago won 3 cups with Jonathan Toews and a bunch of bums at centre. But everyone remembers their amazing D core in 2010 and the infamous Keith Seabrook hjarmalson trio

Reactions: Gustave and Licou

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Duncan Keith was the most important piece on the blackhawks. I've had this opinion for a while now. Forwards are the least important piece in the playoffs. Your D core and goaltending is what gets you through. Chicago won 3 cups with Jonathan Toews and a bunch of bums at centre. But everyone remembers their amazing D core in 2010 and the infamous Keith Seabrook hjarmalson trio
You're contradicting yourself. No one remembers Keith, they remember the team defense.

No one remembers Keith or Toews for the offense, or even Hossa, it's Kane that lead the bus. He's called prime time for a reason.

Reactions: Benning and HabsQC

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
So we should've picked Levshunov ahead of Demidov had he been there ?

No.

Its not as simple as that.

Just like picking Reinbacher over Michkov may be a blunder.

Its just to highlights the fact that top pair RHD are as scarce as 1C and extremely hard to acquire, very seldom available.

Its why teams will go for top pairing RHD often at a great, immense opportunity cost. Its the only way to get a top pairing RHD. Like i highlighted in the comps you cited, Larsson VS Hall is another example of the market price of top pair RHD(due to extremely scarce "offer").

My main point was simply that when debating the Reinbacher picks, we are focusing a lot on specifics but ignoring more macro things like profile scarcity and it would be lying to ignore how much weight it holds in this particular case.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
You're contradicting yourself. No one remembers Keith, they remember the team defense.

No one remembers Keith or Toews for the offense, or even Hossa, it's Kane that lead the bus. He's called prime time for a reason.

Yes casuals remember that. People who actually understand the complexities of hockey know that Kane was not the most important piece. If you believe that to be the case, you must not realize how playoff hockey is played. It's a game of mitigating mistakes. Whoever creates the most mistakes lose. A perfect example of this is game 5 of the 2021 final. What lost the Habs the game, the forwards or the mistake that Staal and chiarot made in theie own zone?

Kane won 1 conn symthe out of 3. That's telling. Also telling that in Tampa's wins, the great kucherov lost the xonn symthes to a D and a goalie. Now normally they will go to forwards for point totals but it's the D men and goalie who control the games outcome

Reactions: Walksss and Licou

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
No.

Its just to highlights the fact that top pair RHD are as scarce as 1C and extremely hard to acquire, very seldom available.

Its why teams will go for top pairing RHD often at a great, immense opportunity cost. Its the only way to get a top pairing RHD. Like i highlighted in the comps you cited, Larsson VS Hall is another example of the market price of top pair RHD(due to extremely scarce "offer").

My main point was simply that when debating the Reinbacher picks, we are focusing a lot on specifics but ignoring more macro things like profile scarcity and it would be lying to ignore how much weight it holds in this particular case.
Profile scarcity doesn't matter whatsoever for players who fail to become 1st pairing RHD though.

Kotkaniemi was a tall, rangy Center with alleged elite 2 way potential. Very valuable profile. How did it work out for us? What do you think the chances are that we might of ended up with a better player if these weren't taken into account as much when making the pick? Right now he's using his amazing positional value to center the Canes 4th line.

I believe in drafting for need in round 2 and beyond, as those are lottery tickets anyway and if they hit they hit, if they don't oh well. But it should be a damn crime to apply the same philosophy on top 10 picks, they are too valuable and we absolutely cannot miss with them.

Reactions: HabsQC

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Hughes made lunatics angry when he said that Reinbacher being a RD played an important part in their decision, and that if he was a LD they may have considered something else but man, is he f***ing right and does it hold a lot of weight that he is a RHD. Go figure.

Yeah, even stranger is I’ve seen a lot of people say he made the fans even angrier when he said they saw him as a second pairing D. Not what he said, he said 2D, which is a first pairing D, but he was basically saying not bonafide #1. Someone who’s going to eat a ton of minutes but probably not on PP1. Like you said those just simply aren’t enough of.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No.

Why did we pick Slaf over two RD and two potential 1Cs?

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Whether or not Michkov was BPA, Reinbacher surely wasn't.

Toronto would be a pretty amazing team if they had any heart in the playoffs.
Yikes, so now in your opinion multiple players picked after Reinbacher were better. Let me guess, Leonard because he's become a favoured flavour? Maybe Benson because he got NHL time and has scored? Any way the wind blows I suppose.

Profile scarcity doesn't matter whatsoever for players who fail to become 1st pairing RHD though.

At least you out yourself as utterly disingenuous, posting the worst possible outcomes like he'll never be a 1st pair and constantly downplaying everything about him, but earlier declaring Michkov's potential career to be superstar HOF worthy. Again, really easy to argue when your primary assumptions by default lead to your desired conclusion.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Yikes, so now in your opinion multiple players picked after Reinbacher were better. Let me guess, Leonard because he's become a favoured flavour? Maybe Benson because he got NHL time and has scored? Any way the wind blows I suppose.

At least you out yourself as utterly disingenuous, posting the worst possible outcomes like he'll never be a 1st pair and constantly downplaying everything about him, but earlier declaring Michkov's potential career to be superstar HOF worthy. Again, really easy to argue when your primary assumptions by default lead to your desired conclusion.
So the WORST outcome is him NOT being first pair? And i'm the disingenuous one? What do you think the odds are of him being a quality 1st pairing D vs him being anything but?

Your entire 2nd paragraph is all either sophistry or (mod) because i've never said any of what you claim i did.

What i did say was i believe Michkov has better odds than Reinbacher. To be an impact player, an elite player, or a HOFer.

Really easy to argue when you just make shit up lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
It’s a discussion board to reflect on the choices Habs management has made. We don’t have to love/agree with every pick. It doesn’t mean we won’t root for the player.

I didn’t want Slaf and now I’m a huge fan. I think some of you take yourselves too seriously. If all we did was get Pom poms out for every managerial decision it would be a pretty boring place.

It’s a discussion board to reflect on the choices Habs management has made. We don’t have to love/agree with every pick. It doesn’t mean we won’t root for the player.

I didn’t want Slaf and now I’m a huge fan. I think some of you take yourselves too seriously. If all we did was get Pom poms out for every managerial decision it would be a pretty boring place.

Nonsense.
there are threads about managerial choices and drafts. This is a thread about a hab player. Or it could have been if not polluted by incessant posts about a Flyer. A completely unrelated one at that.

Tell you what, I’ll start making 25 posts a day about Dalibor Dvorsky in here since people get kicks out of derailing threads.

How the eff would we “reflect” on players yet to touch nhl ice anyways… the M posts are about people trying to come off as know it alls, not a single one taught me anything about Reinbacher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
When did Reinbacher show he could be a top pairing RHD? Certainly not last season...

Michkov right now absolutely gets you Reinbacher. And the odds are in favor of it staying that way.
he shattered every single rookie record in the nla, just like mičkov did in the khl. plus, he is rhd with size, skill and skating.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb

Kotkaniemi was a tall, rangy Center with alleged elite 2 way potential. Very valuable profile. How did it work out for us? What do you think the chances are that we might of ended up with a better player if these weren't taken into account as much when making the pick? Right now he's using his amazing positional value to center the Canes 4th line.

I believe in drafting for need in round 2 and beyond, as those are lottery tickets anyway and if they hit they hit, if they don't oh well. But it should be a damn crime to apply the same philosophy on top 10 picks, they are too valuable and we absolutely cannot miss with them.
it matters a lot. yes, we missed on kk, but it was reasonable pick at the time, you guys acting like anyone knows who the bpa really is. kk was #5 on bob's list, it's not like it was a huge reach. you have to take a risk on size+skill combo at the top of the draft, since it's easier to find top end small or average sized player later in the draft (kucherov, pastrnak, kaprizov, point etc). thats why you don't take cooley before slaf, even if you think that cooley has a higher chance to be a bit better point producer. if its close in terms of talent, go with the size.

btw, would you trade slafkovsky for mičkov right now?

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
he shattered every single rookie record in the nla, just like mičkov did in the khl. plus, he is rhd with size, skill and skating.
Care to tell me which records he broke exactly? I can't find anything besides his whooping 3 goals and 19 assists in 2022-23.

And more importantly, who held the records prior to him?

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
it matters a lot. yes, we missed on kk, but it was reasonable pick at the time, you guys acting like anyone knows who the bpa really is. kk was #5 on bob's list, it's not like it was a huge reach. you have to take a risk on size+skill combo at the top of the draft, since it's easier to find top end small or average sized player later in the draft (kucherov, pastrnak, kaprizov, point etc). thats why you don't take cooley before slaf, even if you think that cooley has a higher chance to be a bit better point producer. if its close in terms of talent, go with the size.

btw, would you trade slafkovsky for mičkov right now?
You can also find great D later in the draft (Keith, Josi, Petry, Vlasic etc...)

I respect your thought process about taking a risk on skill+size combo at the top of the draft, even if i disagree for the most part.

I wouldn't trade Slaf for 2 Michkov's at this point, since he's shown us what he can do and in my opinion he's not a scratch ticket anymore, even if he hasn't reached his apex yet. If Michkov was part of the same draft as his, i probably would have picked Michkov instead and might be regretting it right about now.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Care to tell me which records he broke exactly? I can't find anything besides his whooping 3 goals and 19 assists in 2022-23.

And more importantly, who held the records prior to him?
at 17yo, no one came close to play that kind of minutes or having production like rb in the nla.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
You can also find great D later in the draft (Keith, Josi, Petry, Vlasic etc...)

I respect your thought process about taking a risk on skill+size combo at the top of the draft, even if i disagree for the most part.

I wouldn't trade Slaf for 2 Michkov's at this point, since he's shown us what he can do and in my opinion he's not a scratch ticket anymore, even if he hasn't reached his apex yet. If Michkov was part of the same draft as his, i probably would have picked Michkov instead and might be regretting it right about now.
yeah, you are right about d-men in general, but a rhd with size, skating and skill is still a premium. if reinbacher shows slafkovsky like growth next year, you'd be against mičkov - reinbacher trade as well :)

Last edited:

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
So the WORST outcome is him NOT being first pair? And i'm the disingenuous one? What do you think the odds are of him being a quality 1st pairing D vs him being anything but?

Your entire 2nd paragraph is all either sophistry or you being an idiot because i've never said any of what you claim i did.

What i did say was i believe Michkov has better odds than Reinbacher. To be an impact player, an elite player, or a HOFer.

Really easy to argue when you just make shit up lmao.
Good job not talking about my first paragraph, then using 5 more to address my 2nd. Anyhow :laugh:.

You didn't say he was guaranteed superstar HOF, I was wrong. You actually said you'd happily bet he was over Reinbacher. Just like any Habs fan would. So that's ~33% of the only paragraph you responded too. Again, anyhow :laugh:, none of that matters because this entire discussion was about Habs management and drafting and how your BS assumptions of which player has the better future are your continued weapon on who's the smarter poster.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
there are threads about managerial choices and drafts. This is a thread about a hab player. Or it could have been if not polluted by incessant posts about a Flyer. A completely unrelated one at that.

Tell you what, I’ll start making 25 posts a day about Dalibor Dvorsky in here since people get kicks out of derailing threads.

How the eff would we “reflect” on players yet to touch nhl ice anyways… the M posts are about people trying to come off as know it alls, not a single one taught me anything about Reinbacher.
You can post about whoever you want. Am I supposed to be upset by the fact you’ll post about Dvorsky.

Like I said, get over yourself.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad