Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I haven't watched enough of Reinbacher, Michkov and Demidov to have a very good opinion.

Still I believe if we drafted Michkov instead of Reinbacher, Michkov would be our #1 prospect in rankings today, even above Demidov.

You guys make good arguments when you say you need to draft your top Ds or that Reinbacher wasn't a reach. But like I said earlier in the thread, we've been craving for offense since I've started watching hockey. I think it was the wrong pick but I hope that I'm wrong.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
He was 5th on Bobs list. It wasn't even close to what you're saying.

Kotkaniemi was ranked 5th in McKenzie's poll, which is probably the best insight we have for where a player is "projected to go". He was arguably less of a reach than Reinbacher was.
Really?? Why do I have a distinct memory that he was considered quite a reach when drafting him at 3OA then. If he was predicted at 5, it's not that bad. In fact considering the need at centre it would make effing sense.

Reactions: Chr1s97

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Really?? Why do I have a distinct memory that he was considered quite a reach when drafting him at 3OA then. If he was predicted at 5, it's not that bad. In fact considering the need at centre it would make effing sense.

I feel like any reach in the top 3 range will be amplified because you need to get it right, you only get so many chances to draft that early.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
But why though ? Why not just go BPA every year ? We have seen with KK that drafting for needs is a terrible idea.

Take the best players and make trades later. Imagine we draft both Michkov and Demidov and they both become better than Caufield and Suzuki. Now you have a lot of possibilities for a trade. Could be Michkov if he's the problem everyone says he is. Could also be Caufield or Dach.

Anyway you get my point. Nothing against Reinbacher, I truly hope he becomes an important piece.
because you'll end up with a bunch of high skilled smurfs like buffalo and their trade value around the league isn't that high (hint: savoie), especially when teams around the league know you have to sell.

Last edited:

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
because you'll end up with a bunch of high skilled smurfs like buffalo and their trade value around the league isn't that high (hint: savoie), especially when teams around the league know you have to sell.

Michkov today would top our prospect list. He will play with the Flyers 1 year after being drafted. Probably will be contending for the Calder. He was compared to Bedard in terms of talent ffs.

Savoie was drafted a year before Michkov and has played 1 game so far. I believe he has stagnated as well IIRC. Not comparable at all.

I think he would have eventually become our best forward and Caufield would've been the one who's traded if need be. Caufield has a LOT more value than Savoie.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Michkov today would top our prospect list. He will play with the Flyers 1 year after being drafted. Probably will be contending for the Calder. He was compared to Bedard in terms of talent ffs.

Savoie was drafted a year before Michkov and has played 1 game so far. I believe he has stagnated as well IIRC. Not comparable at all.

I think he would have eventually become our best forward and Caufield would've been the one who's traded if need be. Caufield has a LOT more value than Savoie.
Taking the BPA without thinking about the roster construction is typically Bergevin move. At one point, you need to pick players to build your team. I don’t want to be the next maples leafs or oilers with all offense and no D personnally. We need a balance between offence and Defence, especially on a cap era.
The last 1st Right D availlable we could have Free was Pietrangelo. We had 1 chance on 31 to grab him.
On trade Market, the last one was Seth Jones.. but it’s only because Nashville had a big surplus of D. This is rare situation.
And Columbus needed to give their 1st centerman in Johansen to grab Seth who put 11 points the season they got him.
Im not sure you would like to trade Suzuki for a young D

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Taking the BPA without thinking about the roster construction is typically Bergevin move. At one point, you need to pick players to build your team. I don’t want to be the next maples leafs or oilers with all offense and no D personnally. We need a balance between offence and Defence, especially on a cap era.
The last 1st Right D availlable we could have Free was Pietrangelo. We had 1 chance on 31 to grab him.
On trade Market, the last one was Seth Jones.. but it’s only because Nashville had a big surplus of D. This is rare situation.
And Columbus needed to give their 1st centerman in Johansen to grab Seth who put 11 points the season they got him.

How is taking BPA a Bergevin thing ? He got Galchenyuk and KK because we needed centers. Tell me how did that go ? He admitted Tkachuk was the "flavour of the draft", but he went with KK because we needed centers.

I'll be the first to apologize if Reinbacher is better than Michkov, but in the long run, I think we will look back at this draft and tell ourselves that we should have picked him up.

As for trades, different opportunities, different years. We don't know what will happen, but we already have Guhle, hutson and Mailloux. We coukd have gone like the hurricanes and roll 4-6 really solid D, without a real #1.

I'll stick to get the best players you can and play your cards after. Michkov was compared to Bedard and would be our top prospect right now. On top of that, he's ready to start next year. I'd be thrilled if he were with us, all of us would be.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Lache donc Michkov sacrament. Les Flyers ont un board k bye.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Great point...I am sure the Flyers board is discussing him at nauseum.
I don’t get the point of the M. posts… It keeps bumping the thread… Like hf posters never heard if him? That we turn on Reinbacher as though they were related somehow? That we share the hate for Hab management? It’s so lame.

Reactions: Heffyhoof and 417

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
How is taking BPA a Bergevin thing ? He got Galchenyuk and KK because we needed centers. Tell me how did that go ? He admitted Tkachuk was the "flavour of the draft", but he went with KK because we needed centers.

I'll be the first to apologize if Reinbacher is better than Michkov, but in the long run, I think we will look back at this draft and tell ourselves that we should have picked him up.

As for trades, different opportunities, different years. We don't know what will happen, but we already have Guhle, hutson and Mailloux. We coukd have gone like the hurricanes and roll 4-6 really solid D, without a real #1.

I'll stick to get the best players you can and play your cards after. Michkov was compared to Bedard and would be our top prospect right now. On top of that, he's ready to start next year. I'd be thrilled if he were with us, all of us would be.
Brent Burns is a first Dman. Scoring 61 points last year. He is what we had in Weber during his last stretch. slavin is also a first D. Scoring around 35 points/season, playing around 20 minutes vs first line. He never had negative ratio(+\-) since the beginning his NHL career. He is considerer onenof the best D defender. This is not a second pairing D sorry.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Lache donc Michkov sacrament. Les Flyers ont un board k bye.

Very intelligent reply, post of the year. I am just replying to an ongoing discussion woth someone who quoted, you don't even have anything to do with this.

Ça se peut qui ait du monde qui ont pas le même point de vue que toi, c'est un peu le point d'un forum. C'est toi je pense qui est pas à bonne place.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Very intelligent reply, post of the year. I am just replying to an ongoing discussion woth someone who quoted, you don't even have anything to do with this.

Ça se peut qui ait du monde qui ont pas le même point de vue que toi, c'est un peu le point d'un forum. C'est toi je pense qui est pas à bonne place.
T’as pas de point de vue tu repetes des trucs inutiles sur le 7e choix des Flyers d’un repechage de vla 2 ans dans le thread d’un joueur des Canadiens.

I’ll just hit ignore, all good.

Reactions: Heffyhoof and bcv

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Brent Burns is a first Dman. Scoring 61 points last year. He is what we had in Weber during his last stretch. slavin is also a first D. Scoring around 35 points/season, playing around 20 minutes vs first line. He never had negative ratio(+\-) since the beginning his NHL career. He is considerer onenof the best D defender. This is not a second pairing D sorry.

Burns was acquired for Peanuts by the Canes, which is one proof that it's possible to acquire them. I don't agree he's a #1D at this point, though a really solid one foe his age. For Slavin, I agree I'm a big fan of his, but he isn't your typical #1D who does it all ala Josi for exampke. IMO Guhle can become close to what Slavin is.

And just to be clear, I'm really happy to have Reinbacher and think he will be very good. I just said I would have went full offense, but I'll stop sharing my opinion, because people start cursing even though I have the feeling I haven't been disrespectful by any means...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

It just, doesn't matter anymore tho, does it?
Like, why do we have to continue focusing on this?

If it was before the Draft, and you said
'Michkov 'could' top our prospects list', I'd obviously wouldn't say anything

But it's the "Michkov 'would' top our prospects list" after the fact that's the problem
That 'would', would of, would a, would, would

Just masking complaining about something not going your way, and still dwelling on it feels like

I just can't be bothered worrying about a Flyers prospect anymore,
I won't lol

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Burns was acquired for Peanuts by the Canes, which is one proof that it's possible to acquire them. I don't agree he's a #1D at this point, though a really solid one foe his age. For Slavin, I agree I'm a big fan of his, but he isn't your typical #1D who does it all ala Josi for exampke. IMO Guhle can become close to what Slavin is.

And just to be clear, I'm really happy to have Reinbacher and think he will be very good. I just said I would have went full offense, but I'll stop sharing my opinion, because people start cursing even though I have the feeling I haven't been disrespectful by any means...
Reinbacher will scoring around 40 points, playing top minutes against top line. The puck will exit rapidly of D the zone. He will score less than Michkov but the 4 others guys onnthe ice will take advantage of solid play of Reinbacher. Great locker room guy
Or you give me a 40-50 goalscorer with bad attitude, probably asking the max salary, and bad defensively. As a player, as a coach and as a GM, Im taking Reinbacher. Michkov will produce, but can’t wait to see how many stanley cup he is gonna win

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
It just, doesn't matter anymore tho, does it?
Like, why do we have to continue focusing on this?

It's July, nothing else to talk about. I just said earlier in the thread that I would have gone for more offense, since we haven't had that in forever, as much as I like Reinbacher. People replied and the conversation kept going on in a civilized way, I don't get why some people get so pissed.

It's a bit like OV saying he would have beat the record if not for lockouts. It doesn't really matter anymore, yet people are discussing it, because why not ?

Funny thing is if Reinbacher becomes a legit top pair D and Michkov becomes the next Yakupov, people here will then happily bring Michkov back. (I hope it happens btw) To me it's just interesting to compare both guys because it's a what if scenario.

And btw I appreciate those who came back with very reasonable points such as "you need to draft the good d-men" or "Reinbacher's IQ and character are top-notch". I honestly can't wait to have more answers when they both play in the NHL.

Reinbacher will scoring around 40 points, playing top minutes against top line. The puck will exit rapidly of D the zone. He will score less than Michkov but the 4 others guys onnthe ice will take advantage of solid play of Reinbacher. Great locker room guy
Or you give me a 40-50 goalscorer with bad attitude, probably asking the max salary, and bad defensively. As a player, as a coach and as a GM, Im taking Reinbacher. Michkov will produce, but can’t wait to see how many stanley cup he is gonna win

Honestly if Reinbacher becomes that, I'll be ecstatic, I hope you're right.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We have no idea what we have in Reinbacher. This will play out over the next 3-4 years before we can definitively say we dropped the ball by not grabbing Michkov.

One thing is for sure. Without Reinbacher we would have a massive hole in our RD pipeline.
Based on how well he skates, his hockey IQ, his size and the fact that he is a RD taken 5th overall I believe we will be ecstatic in a year or two that he is anchoring our blueline.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
It's July, nothing else to talk about. I just said earlier in the thread that I would have gone for more offense, since we haven't had that in forever, as much as I like Reinbacher. People replied and the conversation kept going on in a civilized way, I don't get why some people get so pissed.

It's a bit like OV saying he would have beat the record if not for lockouts. It doesn't really matter anymore, yet people are discussing it, because why not ?

Funny thing is if Reinbacher becomes a legit top pair D and Michkov becomes the next Yakupov, people here will then happily bring Michkov back. (I hope it happens btw) To me it's just interesting to compare both guys because it's a what if scenario.

And btw I appreciate those who came back with very reasonable points such as "you need to draft the good d-men" or "Reinbacher's IQ and character are top-notch". I honestly can't wait to have more answers when they both play in the NHL.

Honestly if Reinbacher becomes that, I'll be ecstatic, I hope you're right.
At the end, I personnally prefer well rounded player a la Barkov, Tkachuk, Vergaheghe, Stone, pietrangelo, ekblad. Over unidimensionnal player. I believe to win a stanley you need a lot of well rounded player and few uni dimensionnal a la caufield, Mithckov, Marchessault etc. Thats why im taking the Big Rd in Reinbacher over Michkovv

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
No you don't. Players can be traded, and unless you have a working crystal ball, nobody knows what needs the team will have even 2-3 years down the line.

Drafting by need is EXACTLY how you miss out on stars, and contrary to your claim, THAT is the Bergevin move

Out of all our drafted players recently, how many of them turned out to be centerpiece 1st liners and 1D's? Don't you realize that with how much of a hit or miss hockey prospects are, planning around prospects with little NHL experience is a fools errand?

Imagine if we drafted based on need when a tiny winger was available at 15 several years ago? Or if we picked Wright? Or maybe if we picked Tkatchuk instead of Bustkaniemi? OUR OWN TEAM'S RECENT HISTORY SCREAMS THAT BPA IS THE WAY!

It's all a probabilities game, and i'll take the prospect that has the better odds to turn into something regardless of the position rather than chase low odds for a perfect fit.

What do you think the odds would be of Michkov making it into the HHOF one day vs Reinbacher? As a gambler no way i'd put a dime on our guy.

Reactions: HabsQC

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No you don't. Players can be traded, and unless you have a working crystal ball, nobody knows what needs the team will have even 2-3 years down the line.

Drafting by need is EXACTLY how you miss out on stars, and contrary to your claim, THAT is the Bergevin move

Out of all our drafted players recently, how many of them turned out to be centerpiece 1st liners and 1D's? Don't you realize that with how much of a hit or miss hockey prospects are, planning around prospects with little NHL experience is a fools errand?

Imagine if we drafted based on need when a tiny winger was available at 15 several years ago? Or if we picked Wright? Or maybe if we picked Tkatchuk instead of Bustkaniemi? OUR OWN TEAM'S RECENT HISTORY SCREAMS THAT BPA IS THE WAY!

It's all a probabilities game, and i'll take the prospect that has the better odds to turn into something regardless of the position rather than chase low odds for a perfect fit.

What do you think the odds would be of Michkov making it into the HHOF one day vs Reinbacher? As a gambler no way i'd put a dime on our guy.

BPA isn't just who scores the most points, though. Reinbacher could very well play a very big and more important role in winning the stanley cup than Michkov.

Would you rather have Patrice Bergeron or Mitch Marner? Mitch Marner has consistently scored higher than Bergeron's best years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad