Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think everyone wanted Wright in 2022, the hype of Wright was there since 15 years old.

But my final ranking have been:

1 - Wright.
2 - Slafkovsky.
3 - Cooley.

Before the draft, I always said that I wanted one of Wright, Cooley or Slafkovsky. When Hughes have said on conference they will go between these 3 forwards and going with the highest upside. I'm always thinking about Cooley or Slafkovsky.

I still believe that Slafkovsky and Cooley have the highest upside in 2022 draft in forwards. But Slafkovsky unreal package, will make him the best player in this draft!

I wanted Cooley. Wright in the playoffs was a massive red flag.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I wanted Cooley. Wright in the playoffs was a massive red flag.

Yes, I remember your hype with Cooley and me too, I was always high on him aswell.

I agree with you, Wright redflags have been see in his draft year. But before that, the season he got at 15 years old in OHL have been very very good and everyone seeing a future 40 goalscorer at NHL level. I still think he can become a really good top 6 C, but Cooley and Slafkovsky will always have much more in them.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You wanted Wright in 2022.

Why isnt it highlighted in your particular attempt to bash the Reinbacher pick based on a couple of good wish from yours that aged well?

And let's be honest, how bold was it ever to want Hutson, Caufield, Svechnikov (lol) or Carlsson/Fantilli (double lol).

I'm surprised he didn't say he wanted Matthews in 2016.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
For all the defensive teams we had since 2000. For all the below ppg forwards we had. For all these lack of offense teams I wanted Michkov. I still would have taken Michkov-Demidov as of today.

BUT I reallly hope I'm wrong. I will cheer hard for Reinbacher.

Prove me wrong kid. Become an important member of this team.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
For all the defensive teams we had since 2000. For all the below ppg forwards we had. For all these lack of offense teams I wanted Michkov. I still would have taken Michkov-Demidov as of today.

BUT I reallly hope I'm wrong. I will cheer hard for Reinbacher.

Prove me wrong kid. Become an important member of this team.
I hear you on the first part of the sentence (I'm an offense-starved fan myself), but in the bolded part, the Habs would never have done this. If they take Michkov last year, there's no way we could take Demi this year. They probably go Buium or Silayev or something.

The Demidov pick has cooled any and all resentment I had about last year's draft. I'm not going to sit here and defend the Reinbacher picked like I liked it or that it's what I would have done, but I'm not rattled about it either anymore.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I couldn't believe we didn't take Wright. I knew there were some red flags but he had such a track record. I'm looking very wrong there. Wanted Michkov... felt we needed that big scorer. I calmed down within a day and understood why we took RB but wasn't happy at the time. I'm just fine with Demidov.

I don't really watch the minors though. Maybe a bit here or there and I might follow a player who interests me but nowhere near what some of the folks here watch. So I always tell folks that my opinions on this are really based off research on what analysts have said. I am in no way an authority on anything prospect related. Once they're drafted by us then I follow more closely. Hutson's a good example of that.

Looking back now, our picks make a lot of sense. Slaf looks incredible. Beck and Hutson look great too. RB is the big RD we needed. Demidov is the scorer. We've stockpiled so many picks and amazing prospects... Not all will pan out but how can you not be excited?

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I couldn't believe we didn't take Wright. I knew there were some red flags but he had such a track record. I'm looking very wrong there. Wanted Michkov... felt we needed that big scorer. I calmed down within a day and understood why we took RB but wasn't happy at the time. I'm just fine with Demidov.

I don't really watch the minors though. Maybe a bit here or there and I might follow a player who interests me but nowhere near what some of the folks here watch. So I always tell folks that my opinions on this are really based off research on what analysts have said. I am in no way an authority on anything prospect related. Once they're drafted by us then I follow more closely. Hutson's a good example of that.

Looking back now, our picks make a lot of sense. Slaf looks incredible. Beck and Hutson look great too. RB is the big RD we needed. Demidov is the scorer. We've stockpiled so many picks and amazing prospects... Not all will pan out but how can you not be excited?
Trust da plan :laugh:. This GM actually has one :highclap:.

I was kinda bummed about the Reinbacher choice but a number 1 RD is harder to find than a sniper or a skilled player like Michkov. I guess that was their main priority. Hopefully they made the right choice. I'm super excited about Demidov.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Trust da plan :laugh:. This GM actually has one :highclap:.

I was kinda bummed about the Reinbacher choice but a number 1 RD is harder to find than a sniper or a skilled player like Michkov. I guess that was their main priority. Hopefully they made the right choice. I'm super excited about Demidov.

Top premiere RD are selected very very soon in draft. Nemec = #2. Levshunov = #2.

Everyone said that Nemec and Levshunov are great picks at 2. Reinbacher show that he have the potential to become good like them, if not, very not far behind and we grab him at #5.

So yes, I understand now the pick of Reinbacher and More I watch about him, more I see a stud two-way D-man. He is going to put good offensive numbers, he have great passing ability, first pass and good shot aswell.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Interesting video on Tyler Wotherspoon, sounds like he was a really important part of Nemec’s development plan. One has to think he was brought on board to play alongside Reinbacher in the AHL and provide the same mentorship.

I think you are spot on right there. They knew it that about him and Nemec, so they want to bring to Reinbacher a guy like that to help him!

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Out of all the RHD defensemen available with our picks since 2022, is Reinbacher the best of them all in defensive play?

Last edited:

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
It’s kinda funny looking back how teams tried to trade up aggressively for both our #5 pick.

I remember all the reports of teams trying to acquire #5 from Montreal specifically to draft Reinbacher. Philly and Nashville had some serious offers to get him.

Then couple weeks ago how many of us thought we lost Demidov? How many time in the last 48 hours did we read all the stuff about Columbus trading #4?

Carolina with a package around Necas.

Philly with #12+TOR 25’ 1st+young roster(probably Farabee or Frost) or their own 25’ 1st?

And then Chicago offering their 2025 unprotected 1st :loony:

And after the draft, reports coming out that all those teams were trying to get ahead of Montreal since everyone knew we were taking Demidov.

Thank you Columbus 🙏

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles and Redux91

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I hear you on the first part of the sentence (I'm an offense-starved fan myself), but in the bolded part, the Habs would never have done this. If they take Michkov last year, there's no way we could take Demi this year. They probably go Buium or Silayev or something.

The Demidov pick has cooled any and all resentment I had about last year's draft. I'm not going to sit here and defend the Reinbacher picked like I liked it or that it's what I would have done, but I'm not rattled about it either anymore.

But why though ? Why not just go BPA every year ? We have seen with KK that drafting for needs is a terrible idea.

Take the best players and make trades later. Imagine we draft both Michkov and Demidov and they both become better than Caufield and Suzuki. Now you have a lot of possibilities for a trade. Could be Michkov if he's the problem everyone says he is. Could also be Caufield or Dach.

Anyway you get my point. Nothing against Reinbacher, I truly hope he becomes an important piece.

Reactions: themilosh

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
But why though ? Why not just go BPA every year ? We have seen with KK that drafting for needs is a terrible idea.

Take the best players and make trades later. Imagine we draft both Michkov and Demidov and they both become better than Caufield and Suzuki. Now you have a lot of possibilities for a trade. Could be Michkov if he's the problem everyone says he is. Could also be Caufield or Dach.

Anyway you get my point. Nothing against Reinbacher, I truly hope he becomes an important piece.
They did…. Redenbacher was the Best Player Available at 5OA in the eyes of the Habs org, just as Demigod was this past draft

As Arpon Basu’s article stated:

Kent Hughes mentioned Friday night that the Canadiens had Demidov on their radar last year when they took David Reinbacher at No. 5 instead of a forward, that was only part of the story. Bobrov’s father, Sergei, has been a scout for SKA Saint Petersburg for 15 years. He had insight on Matvei Michkov most other teams did not have, and he also had insight on Demidov.

Habs simply were not as high on Michkov, for their own reasons - that’s the reality

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

And how do you get the first RD you need? Cause teams don’t trade those when they have it. Pretty sure Toronto is looking for a first Right Dman since 10 years and since 10 years, none of them are availlable. Trades are not that easy, sometimes you better of just to select it at the draft when you can

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Out of all the RHD defensemen available with our picks since 2022, is Reinbacher the best of them all in defensive play?
I think so , then again we just default to him and Engstrom as being good defensively since they are out there playing actual grown ass men every night. Reinbacher definitely has the most solid tools defensively

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

While I agree in general with the BPA idea, using KK as an example for "DFNeed strategy is terrible" is wrong IMO. In KK's case they went something like 17 ranks higher than he was projected. That was completely crazy and dumb. I don't see anything wrong when choosing to go DFN if the guy that is really needed is only a few ranks lower, like Rainmaker was.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
While I agree in general with the BPA idea, using KK as an example for "DFNeed strategy is terrible" is wrong IMO. In KK's case they went something like 17 ranks higher than he was projected. That was completely crazy and dumb. I don't see anything wrong when choosing to go DFN if the guy that is really needed is only a few ranks lower, like Rainmaker was.

He was 5th on Bobs list. It wasn't even close to what you're saying.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It’s kinda funny looking back how teams tried to trade up aggressively for both our #5 pick.

I remember all the reports of teams trying to acquire #5 from Montreal specifically to draft Reinbacher. Philly and Nashville had some serious offers to get him.

Then couple weeks ago how many of us thought we lost Demidov? How many time in the last 48 hours did we read all the stuff about Columbus trading #4?

Carolina with a package around Necas.

Philly with #12+TOR 25’ 1st+young roster(probably Farabee or Frost) or their own 25’ 1st?

And then Chicago offering their 2025 unprotected 1st :loony:

And after the draft, reports coming out that all those teams were trying to get ahead of Montreal since everyone knew we were taking Demidov.

Thank you Columbus 🙏
We don’t know if they wanted Reinbacher. That part of the story was a complete fabrication.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Kotkaniemi was ranked 5th in McKenzie's poll, which is probably the best insight we have for where a player is "projected to go". He was arguably less of a reach than Reinbacher was.

A better argument against "DFNeed strategy is terrible" is that Montreal also needed a Markov replacement in 2018 (especially after trading Sergachev) and the top 3 D on McKenzie's list after Dahlin were Dobson, Bouchard and Hughes. Each is arguably a top-20 D in the NHL right now. Had Montreal "reached" for any of them then no one would be complaining right now.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
In more than 95% of the draft in the history of the NHL, there was at least one defenseman picked top 5. Often picked before 5, and often two or more in the top 5.

So lets make it clear again if it wasnt obvious already.

Reinbacher at 5 is not a reach.

Even if in our own opinion he is nothing more than a 2nd pairing defensive dman and Michkov is already a perennial 100 points player.

By every objective metrics, Reinbacher was picked at his spot. I would even argue that a top RD like him is seldom available at 5 overall. (2021 no top RD available, 2022 Nemec 2nd OV, 2024 Levshunov 2nd OV, 2018-2019-2020 no top RD available in the top 5.)

***Notice how scarce the competent, top 4 RHD are relative to the LHD?****

It could be a blunder, if Michkov is a top 10 player in the NHL. There is an inherent risk with skipping a prospect like Michkov. But the fact remains that Reinbacher was picked at his spot at the draft.

Reactions: ReHabs

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
In more than 95% of the draft in the history of the NHL, there was at least one defenseman picked top 5. Often picked before 5, and often two or more in the top 5.

So lets make it clear again if it wasnt obvious already.

Reinbacher at 5 is not a reach.

Even if in our own opinion he is nothing more than a 2nd pairing defensive dman and Michkov is already a perennial 100 points player.

By every objective metrics, Reinbacher was picked at his spot. I would even argue that a top RD like him is seldom available at 5 overall. (2021 no top RD available, 2022 Nemec 2nd OV, 2024 Levshunov 2nd OV, 2018-2019-2020 no top RD available in the top 5.)

***Notice how scarce the competent, top 4 RHD are relative to the LHD?****

It could be a blunder, if Michkov is a top 10 player in the NHL. There is an inherent risk with skipping a prospect like Michkov. But the fact remains that Reinbacher was picked at his spot at the draft.

If Michkov become a top 10 player in NHL, but Reinbacher still have a impact like Dobson//Seider, I'm still very happy with the D.

It's cool to have a top 10 player, but when playoffs times, we need more than that.

The best thing right now with the pick Reinbacher, it's that we have 2 young forwards with potential to become at the top of the league with Slafkovsky and Demidov. They have the skillset, attitude to become that.

90-100 pts per season are top of the league and I don't see why Slaf and Demidov can't do that. I see 30-35 goalscorers with 55-65a in them.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If Michkov become a top 10 player in NHL, but Reinbacher still have a Dobson//Seider, I'm still very happy with the D.

It's cool to have a top 10 player, but when playoffs times, we need more than that.

The best thing right now with the pick Reinbacher, it's that we have 2 young forwards with potential to become at the top of the league with Slafkovsky and Demidov. They have the skillset, attitude to become that.

90-100 pts per season are top of the league and I don't see why Slaf and Demidov can't do that. I see in both 30-35 goalscorers with 55-65a in them.

Agree on everything.

If Reinbacher ends up similar to Seider/Dobson, it would mean Reinbacher is top 10 at his position which would be an absolutely stellar pick too. He certainly has the potential.

Reactions: Pickles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad