Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
This guy has been sleeping good since we picked Demidov eh
I was about to write something similar.

Reinbacher's biggest challenge at the NHL level will be the attention a high draft pick gets in Montréal. Now add the Michkov comparison. Having Demidov (and a buch of other prospects coming too) will help insulate him from the attention.

He did a good, steady and impressive job in Laval and not much was said about it in the medias. Just like he would have liked I'm sure.

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
In hindsight, i don't think this was a "grand slam" at #30oa, more like a ground rule double. If the backlash was predicted (it wasn't) the main reason MB had to reach was bc he was god awful at drafting and developing talent.
MB had his limitations, you can't deny that. But you can't contest his loyalty towards les Canadiens de Montréal. He took one for team like a true warrior.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I am so happy for David
- Slaf's rise has put ton of faith on our development
- Drafting Demidov put much more faith to our scouting, who cares about Michkov
This is a huge pressure relief and will allow David to progress steadily.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
In hindsight, i don't think this was a "grand slam" at #30oa, more like a ground rule double. If the backlash was predicted (it wasn't) the main reason MB had to reach was bc he was god awful at drafting and developing talent.
Ah semantics. That size and offensive skill is a top 10 pick all day long.

Don’t agree with the 2nd half necessarily but even for argument sake, it was ballsy and they gambled on talent.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
MB had his limitations, you can't deny that. But you can't contest his loyalty towards les Canadiens de Montréal. He took one for team like a true warrior.
I don’t know. The 2021 summer he was completely all over the place. No direction

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
First few years of his tenure, i'd agree with your assessment... but MB was not taking one for the "team", it was a desperate move by a ship captain who knew the hull was breached..
Make no mistake, the ego that overwhelmed his persona clouded any vision he may have had when he arrived.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
When did that happen?
It's a strange turn of phrase but I interpret "mortgage [against] the future" as "taking assets from the future to spend in the present". The thing is: future assets are replenished every year... draft picks are magic beans, for a playoff team they are hardly precious at all.

So on one hand, he rarely traded futures (1st round picks, 2nd round picks, etc). On the other hand: he pretty much never added high-value futures either, prospects were busting left and right, his AHL team was moved to Mordor (Newfoundland), he retained coaches who were not known for their ability to help young players thrive (Therrien and Lefebvre in particular), he didn't have a suitable development staff, he had a bare-bones analytics staff... that's all working against the future!

So never adding either young or peak players to the core was actually in effect 'mortgaging the future'. He retained futures in order to be able to use them at another time... a time that never came and the futures turned out to be bums because of bad scouting and development, in the end.

He had Carey Price and never added a suitable forward, or more specifically first line centreman, to the roster. He didn't INVEST in his team because he wanted to be able to so at a later date, a date that never came. He swapped but he couldn't add. He swapped 3OA Galchenyuk for Domi for Anderson, Subban for an older Weber, he swapped the young Sergachev (in a position of need, PMD) for Drouin, and he sold Pacioretty for assets. At no point did he straight-up add additional or excess talent to the team long-term... and at no-point did he actually sell multiple present assets to secure more futures.

So both squandering the present and also not selling assets for a rebuild... that's mortgaging against the future.

Reactions: Andy

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Just the fact that I like Reinbacher more than any of D's in 2024 draft, that's make the selection of him at 5, a huge win for Habs.

Nemec was been selected #2.
Levshunov was beeen selected #2.

Sometimes, you need to take high that type of D, steady two-way RD.

I really think that Reinbacher is in the same tier of Nemec and not far by Levshunov. Levshunov looks better at offense, but Reinbacher looks better at defense with really really good offensive upside aswell.

If NJ and CHI are happy with their RD selected #2, we certainly need to be very happy aswell with Reinbacher at #5.

Montrealcowboys

Jan 7, 2020
I kinda see Mailloux similar to Connelly.. both dropped considerably wirh questionable off ice distractions.

It's taken a long while, but Mailloux has definately earned his way onto the Habs, and in many respects his reputation back..

With Connelly i dont think his "character" is fixable.. but hopefully he can turn it around like Mailloux did. Both were def top 10 talent.
He probably isn't welcome in Sweden and pre incident he was a fringe 1st round pick by most every reputable scouting services (not online bloggers/youtubers). Not sure why hab fan always has to overhype the players before they play a full couple of seasons, but been watching it for over 30 years.

Reactions: themilosh

Montrealcowboys

Jan 7, 2020
I am so happy for David
- Slaf's rise has put ton of faith on our development
- Drafting Demidov put much more faith to our scouting, who cares about Michkov
This is a huge pressure relief and will allow David to progress steadily.
We are going to find out just how talented Michkov is soon enough (guess he isn't staying in Russia like many hab fan thought). He is the best Russian prospect since Ovie/Malkin. He outplayed Wright and Bedard and won MVP the last time he competed in an international tournament. What else can hab fan say other than "who cares about Michkov?"

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
We are going to find out just how talented Michkov is soon enough (guess he isn't staying in Russia like many hab fan thought). He is the best Russian prospect since Ovie/Malkin. He outplayed Wright and Bedard and won MVP the last time he competed in an international tournament. What else can hab fan say other than "who cares about Michkov?"

The best russian prospect since Ovy and Malkin is Demidov. 😉

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That's easy ol' chap :
"Philly board is that way -->"

There isn't a Duo from 2023+2024 involving Michkov+this years Draft D I would take over Reinbacher+Demidov as it fortunately turned out for us
No joke

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
That's easy ol' chap :
"Philly board is that way -->"

There isn't a Duo from 2023+2024 involving Michkov+this years Draft D I would take over Reinbacher+Demidov as it fortunately turned out for us
No joke

Me too. I just imagine Demidov is available at 2023 draft and I would take him over Michkov, Leonard and Benson.

If Reinbacher have been available at 2024, I would take him over Iginla, Dickinson, Parekh, for sure.

The duo Demidov - Reinbacher is better than Michkov - Parekh or Yakemchuk (I put only RD's), 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad