Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Should be a fireable offence to that from Montréal's side(assuming Bach=Reinbacher).
If Demidov were on the board at 3, it would be pretty sweet to get him. Then at 5 you replace one of the dmen going out the door. So it's really replace one of Reinbacher or Guhle with Levshunov or Dickinson, and then trade the other for Demidov. I.e. trade firm a position if strength (defense) for a position of need (gamebreaking forward).

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
If Demidov were on the board at 3, it would be pretty sweet to get him. Then at 5 you replace one of the dmen going out the door. So it's really replace one of Reinbacher or Guhle with Levshunov or Dickinson, and then trade the other for Demidov. I.e. trade firm a position if strength (defense) for a position of need (gamebreaking forward).

You’re looking at this like it’s Monopoly money being traded. They’re not gonna trade Guhle or Rein for more picks and trading either of them for Zegras (+ whatever ANA wants on top) makes little sense for the rebuild.

I know we’re missing talented forwards but the D playing better without killing the offense in the process is what is needed to leave the bottom rankings. Easier to add offense with $ then find good defencemen.

7roy

Apr 18, 2024
My comment was a bit hyperbole but I just don't think trading both of them moves the rebuild forward. Levshunov is likely gone at 3 or 5(Chicago wants him at 2 apparently) so the likely situation is we end up with 18yo Demidov, Dickinson, Zegras, and no solid RHD prospect. Suddenly the team's defense isn't much of a strength, only high-end player that will be a part of the future is Dickinson, as opposed to having both of Guhle/Reinbacher. The rest of the guys are 2nd/3rd pairing potential. The team basically ends up with Mailloux as its top pairing RD if I'm not missing anybody. Maybe there's some possible vet UFA signing or other trade to bring in a top RHD but there's a reason we drafted a (possible) top RHD last year: it's not easy to find.

I don't think the team's offense would be a strength in that situation either. I'm not a fan of Zegras, really feels like the kind of player that will just play himself out of a top6 role(he basically just did in Anaheim). Having Demidov would be sweet, but I don't think adding him makes the Canadiens' offense as one of the best in the league in a few years, while a Dcore with Guhle/Reinbacher will likely be one of the best Dcore in the future. Basically traded from having a strength to being mediocre in both, unless Demidov makes this forward group elite.

I think a trade 1 for 1 for the 3rd pick could be cool. I don't think the Ducks do it though. Maybe a trade built around Guhle+ for the 3rd OA, and then we don't leave a massive hole on the right side while still acquiring Demidov and Dickinson. And if the Ducks don't pick Demidov, there's always the possibility of trading with Columbus(who might be more open to getting Guhle). But I'd rather keep Guhle, I really like him.

If we do trade then the team might look like this. Replace anyone who doesn't pan out with vets. Or replace any of the depth, move players around, doesn't really matter. That Dcore looks bad. I don't keep up with UFAs so maybe in a few years there's a good RD UFA signing available, but if not, this looks bad. Don't have Matheson, Savard, Anderson etc... because in ~4-5 years they're all gone. This just doesn't look like a winning team, and vet signings won't fix it.

If the team doesn't acquire Zegras or Demidov, then whatever we pick this year replaces 1 of them in top 6(hopefully) and a vet signing fills a winger spot(much easier to find than RD). We then have Guhle/Reinbacher that we could split across 2 pairings, providing stability that a lot of playoff teams wish they had. I prefer that outcome so I wouldn't do the trade. But maybe I'm really wrong and adding Zegras/Demidov moves this forward group into elite territory and they can outscore whatever issues that Dcore has.

possible_future_if_trade_guhle_bach.png

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
You’re looking at this like it’s Monopoly money being traded. They’re not gonna trade Guhle or Rein for more picks and trading either of them for Zegras (+ whatever ANA wants on top) makes little sense for the rebuild.

I know we’re missing talented forwards but the D playing better without killing the offense in the process is what is needed to leave the bottom rankings. Easier to add offense with $ then find good defencemen.
LOL no. Last 80 points season was Kovalev, last ppg I don't even remember, probably was 1993!

Meanwhile we've had plenty of very good defensemen.

I'm not saying I'd do the trade proposed, but if we can get a real gamebreaking offensively talented forward through a trade, we HAVE to consider it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My comment was a bit hyperbole but I just don't think trading both of them moves the rebuild forward. Levshunov is likely gone at 3 or 5(Chicago wants him at 2 apparently) so the likely situation is we end up with 18yo Demidov, Dickinson, Zegras, and no solid RHD prospect. Suddenly the team's defense isn't much of a strength, only high-end player that will be a part of the future is Dickinson, as opposed to having both of Guhle/Reinbacher. The rest of the guys are 2nd/3rd pairing potential. The team basically ends up with Mailloux as its top pairing RD if I'm not missing anybody. Maybe there's some possible vet UFA signing or other trade to bring in a top RHD but there's a reason we drafted a (possible) top RHD last year: it's not easy to find.

I don't think the team's offense would be a strength in that situation either. I'm not a fan of Zegras, really feels like the kind of player that will just play himself out of a top6 role(he basically just did in Anaheim). Having Demidov would be sweet, but I don't think adding him makes the Canadiens' offense as one of the best in the league in a few years, while a Dcore with Guhle/Reinbacher will likely be one of the best Dcore in the future. Basically traded from having a strength to being mediocre in both, unless Demidov makes this forward group elite.

I think a trade 1 for 1 for the 3rd pick could be cool. I don't think the Ducks do it though. Maybe a trade built around Guhle+ for the 3rd OA, and then we don't leave a massive hole on the right side while still acquiring Demidov and Dickinson. And if the Ducks don't pick Demidov, there's always the possibility of trading with Columbus(who might be more open to getting Guhle). But I'd rather keep Guhle, I really like him.

If we do trade then the team might look like this. Replace anyone who doesn't pan out with vets. Or replace any of the depth, move players around, doesn't really matter. That Dcore looks bad. I don't keep up with UFAs so maybe in a few years there's a good RD UFA signing available, but if not, this looks bad. Don't have Matheson, Savard, Anderson etc... because in ~4-5 years they're all gone. This just doesn't look like a winning team, and vet signings won't fix it.

If the team doesn't acquire Zegras or Demidov, then whatever we pick this year replaces 1 of them in top 6(hopefully) and a vet signing fills a winger spot(much easier to find than RD). We then have Guhle/Reinbacher that we could split across 2 pairings, providing stability that a lot of playoff teams wish they had. I prefer that outcome so I wouldn't do the trade. But maybe I'm really wrong and adding Zegras/Demidov moves this forward group into elite territory and they can outscore whatever issues that Dcore has.

View attachment 880884

I'm ok with moving the rebuild timeline back to get a player like Demidov - assuming the scouts think he's a gamebreaker. I want to do the rebuild right long term.

But yes, we would be an unbalanced team with good offensive players (something we haven't had in ages) but without that defensive backbone. And, a lot of our forwards would be undersized. Could Matheson be dealt for a good young defensive dman with size and good skating?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

View attachment 880884
Solid post! Thanks man✌️

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

This makes sense. But its not monopoly money. Tough decisions will have to be made. Look at Florida's cup contending team. They only have 3 players they drafted. They had to trade a lot of good players and prospects to build their team.

I'd I'm more in favor of a rebuild done right than speeding up the timeline. But for sure I can see the "no" side of that kind of sacrifice to get Demidov, even if you think he's a gamebreaker.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
LOL no. Last 80 points season was Kovalev, last ppg I don't even remember, probably was 1993!

Meanwhile we've had plenty of very good defensemen.

I'm not saying I'd do the trade proposed, but if we can get a real gamebreaking offensively talented forward through a trade, we HAVE to consider it.

Through a trade yeah but picking Demidov doesn’t mean we’ll 100% get an 80pts player

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Through a trade yeah but picking Demidov doesn’t mean we’ll 100% get an 80pts player
Never said so. I'm saying we need to find gamebreaking forwards. Not every try will bring one.

Dach might get to 70 points, even 80, but I don't see him dominating games by himself. I don't think Newhook is that guy. Need to keep looking, and we have to give to get

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Glad we got this guy last year. He’s a MUCH better fit than the other 2 RHD (Yakemchuk, Parekh) that we could have picked IF we wanted to go for need. I still think he’s better than Levshunov. And he’ll be ready sooner than later. These other RHD could be years away and we saw from Reinbacher play in the AHL that he’s already knocking on the door.

He’s also an absolute perfect fit with Hutson. The 3 RHD in this year draft are all turnstiles defensively.

Demidov+Reinbacher >> Michkov+this year RHD

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Glad we got this guy last year. He’s a MUCH better fit than the other 2 RHD (Yakemchuk, Parekh) that we could have picked IF we wanted to go for need. I still think he’s better than Levshunov. And he’ll be ready sooner than later. These other RHD could be years away and we saw from Reinbacher play in the AHL that he’s already knocking on the door.

He’s also an absolute perfect fit with Hutson. The 3 RHD in this year draft are all turnstiles defensively.

Demidov+Reinbacher >> Michkov+this year RHD

The other D in this draft never really impressed me. Buium was nice to see in the frozen four. Levshunov was good but not 2nd OA worthy as even Blackhawks fans on their board are not too happy. But yeah team building wise, having a Reinbacher to pair with Hutson and then being lucky enough to land Demidov is great.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
The other D in this draft never really impressed me. Buium was nice to see in the frozen four. Levshunov was good but not 2nd OA worthy as even Blackhawks fans on their board are not too happy. But yeah team building wise, having a Reinbacher to pair with Hutson and then being lucky enough to land Demidov is great.
Personally I think the 2 LD in this year draft are legit. Buium/Dickinson are for real.

The RHD tho...:huh:

Levshunov I’m not a fan of.

Parekh I liked. One of the biggest boom or bust prospects I’ve ever seen. He’s either never gonna be strong enough and good enough defensively to last in the NHL or he’s the next Karlsson.

Yakemchuk is already a bust. Ottawa are clowns for wasting #7 OA on this guy. Parekh and Levshunov at least try on the defensive end. This guy can barely skate backwards. Straight up a turnstile. 17-18 years old forwards were playing matador with him. And he was an over ager.

When skating and hockey IQ are your weaknesses, you ain’t gonna last in the NHL.

The gap between Reinbacher and Yakemchuk is absurd. We shouldn’t even compare them.

We should be comparing Mailloux and Yakemchuk. And even then Mailloux clears easily.

Yakemchuk floor is out of the league in 5 years. His ceiling is third pairing that get sent to the press box during the playoffs because he’s a defensive liability.

Yeah I’m good with David combo of skating+size+reach+positioning+breakout ability. Other teams can roll the dice on those projects.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I'd reckon he would have been ranked 5th in this draft behind mack demidov linds and lev. I could have seen him 3rd

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
where would Bustbacher rank this year? 7-10 range?

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Personally I think the 2 LD in this year draft are legit. Buium/Dickinson are for real.

The RHD tho...:huh:

Levshunov I’m not a fan of.

Parekh I liked. One of the biggest boom or bust prospects I’ve ever seen. He’s either never gonna be strong enough and good enough defensively to last in the NHL or he’s the next Karlsson.

Yakemchuk is already a bust. Ottawa are clowns for wasting #7 OA on this guy. Parekh and Levshunov at least try on the defensive end. This guy can barely skate backwards. Straight up a turnstile. 17-18 years old forwards were playing matador with him. And he was an over ager.

When skating and hockey IQ are your weaknesses, you ain’t gonna last in the NHL.

The gap between Reinbacher and Yakemchuk is absurd. We shouldn’t even compare them.

We should be comparing Mailloux and Yakemchuk. And even then Mailloux clears easily.

Yakemchuk floor is out of the league in 5 years. His ceiling is third pairing that get sent to the press box during the playoffs because he’s a defensive liability.

Yeah I’m good with David combo of skating+size+reach+positioning+breakout ability. Other teams can roll the dice on those projects.

Yeah if you told me prior to last draft, Habs will take Reinbacher to pair and perfectly complement Hutson and then a year later will pick demidov who is basically the same as michkov but different, I'd be ecstatic. Reinbacher and demidov are way better than michkov and any of the RD in this draft. Not because of michkov, because of the RD. They're all flawed and not particular high IQ like you eluded to

where would Bustbacher rank this year? 7-10 range?
2 because he's better than levshunov lol. But in all seriousness, he would battle with levshunov over the top D. Probably should be around 4/5

Reactions: Habs

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Rob Ramage said he showed Reinbacher footage of Shea Weber playing defense. Positioning, zone exits, using his reach, keeping his game simple. Over in Europe last season he had 3 different coaches. All Playing a different style. Got into Reinbacher head, mixed him up. When he got to Laval better defense man.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I have a good feeling about what he can do this season. The Michkov noise will be gone so he won’t face additional pressure the fans, he’ll be playing in a much better system than last year and he’ll have another summer filling into his frame. He could potentially make the team out of camp but I’d like to see him get some time in Laval to adjust to the NA ice and work on his offense.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
I'd love to see him as a #1D for Laval for the start of the season until he forces his way onto the big team. I think Lane and Mailloux start with the big team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd love to see him as a #1D for Laval for the start of the season until he forces his way onto the big team. I think Lane and Mailloux start with the big team.

Mailloux seems very close. Even if he has to be sent down, I think he'll have a lot to learn in the AHL, to fine tune various aspects of his game, both defensively and offensively.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What impressed me about Mailloux was how well his defensive game improved from game 1 to game 72. Very promising

If Mailloux beats out Barron, Struble, and Harris for that last spot, it may be hard for them to send him down.

But, he will most likely really have to beat them out. Because keeping Mailoux (assuming Hutson makes it) means sending Struble down and still keeping 8 dmen. Meaning two young dmen that need to be playing are sititng in the press box every night.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Harris/Struble/Barron/Mailloux

Who knows, maybe one or two young dmen (Barron and Struble) will be packaged for Laine.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If Mailloux beats out Barron, Struble, and Harris for that last spot, it may be hard for them to send him down.

But, he will most likely really have to beat them out. Because keeping Mailoux (assuming Hutson makes it) means sending Struble down and still keeping 8 dmen. Meaning two young dmen that need to be playing are sititng in the press box every night.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Harris/Struble/Barron/Mailloux

Who knows, maybe one or two young dmen (Barron and Struble) will be packaged for Laine.

I hope that for Mailloux, Hutson, & RB, the Habs take an NHL "top 4" (overall ice time) or AHL approach.

For Hutson, that could mean 3rd pair es but with PP1 minutes. For the other 3, it probably means earning top 4 ES role. Until they are ready to take that and run with it, seems like prominent role in AHL would be better.

That said, they took a different approach with Slaf and it worked out beautifully. Good reason to trust that they will find the right balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad