Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I didn't cherry pick them out - nobody mentions them as the defenseman going in the top 5. If you want to include them, OK, Parekh doesn't have the skating like Makar, he has an elite shot but the compete and defensive IQ is a massive question mark.

Same with Buium, his edges might be Hutson level, but the skating has mechanical issues and the defending is okay at best.

At 6'7 you're not intimidating if you don't throw hits. No one is intimidated by a tall beanpole skating around with no physical game.

Dickinson's IQ was legitimately just questioned today on The Athletic pod.

Reinbacher is still likely the first defenseman taken this year.
I'd be careful trying to evaluate how mean a 17 year old kid is playing in a mens league.

Reactions: Miller Time

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Replace Reinbacher with Slafkovsky and Michkov with Cooley and this thread is an exact copy of the Slaf thread last summer.

It f***ing sucks.
A lot of the exact same posters too. It's hilarious to read the pompous paragraph posters these days, they don't realize nobody cares or takes their opinions seriously now.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
In what sense?

Do you mean that he'll be underappreciated by Habs fans?
He's a minutes-murching defenseman with size and skating who play a simple but very effective game and who will be a backbone of the d corp. With the habs Hamrlik played a lot of though minutes that otherwise Markov would have endure. He wasn't as offensively giften, but people always undervalue the importance of that type of players who are just good a executing the simple play, steadily all game long against pro forecheck, until he's in your lineup (or isn't anymore).

He won't wow anyone but I don't think fans will underappreciate him, they just need to see him play and get comfortable with him. I don't think it's going to take long before he's playing with the big club.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
My point wasn't that Reinbacher isn't a superstar player, it's that there is no part of his game that excites me or makes me think him worthy of 5th overall at all. All of the D sniffing around the 5th selection this year actually have qualities to their game that are intriguing, even if they may not be as well-rounded.

I made a point earlier in the thread that most likely NHL teams wanted Reinbacher because they needed D and he was a D, not because he wowed them on paper with his skills.

Of course he may turn out to be a dud and for sure some players picked after him will have a better career.

That said he looks like a guy that has all the tools required to perform in the NHL and HuGo probably determined that he has a good upside that can be unlocked by them (not Bergevin's version where it's just hoping the kid figures it out on his own).

This quote from MSL (before being hired) probably sums up the current Habs management thinking.

Martin St.Louis when he was asked “what were you the best at that made you such a great NHL player?” MSL: “I was really good at getting better

They're all in on their development focus (including "hockey IQ can be taught"), they'll soar or sink on whether or not they pull it off. Slaf's second half was encouraging for all this but need more time to see the results including for Reinbacher.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Redux91

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
What? I'm trying to understand the person's argument because on the surface it's exactly what you're complaining about: it is a clearly subjective and slanted, not-scientific bit of demagoguery. Aaaaand it's completely unnecessary!

Don't you see what's happened?

Reinbacher is our man... nothing has changed, neither has played a game in the NHL. There is absolutely zero need to fight so hard to defend the pick.

Michkov is coming over earlier than thought -- so what? Some fans are upset that one argument against Michkov fell apart (but we all should've known he wouldn't stay in Russia the full 3 years after the draft)... but in response to this minor grumbling other fans are doubling down on the other arguments against Michkov... but It's completely unnecessary, there is no debate to be had!
Michkov coming soon in NA; maybe too soon if he didn't learn enough in his sub russian league. He wasn't in the khl, and is a lower league than the nhl and he skip directly to the nhl next year, good luck for him, he's gonna need it.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
My point wasn't that Reinbacher isn't a superstar player, it's that there is no part of his game that excites me or makes me think him worthy of 5th overall at all. All of the D sniffing around the 5th selection this year actually have qualities to their game that are intriguing, even if they may not be as well-rounded.

I made a point earlier in the thread that most likely NHL teams wanted Reinbacher because they needed D and he was a D, not because he wowed them on paper with his skills.

Not bad for his 1st goal in his 1st game with Laval.

There's more offence to his game than he's shown, he just needs to cook.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Not a lot of Reinbacher talk in here.
Not a lot of mod activity either. Please make a Michkov thread mods.

I would love some news on Reinbacher!

For what it is worth, it is too early to tell how good he will be. I thought he played fairly well for Laval. It will take him time to adjust to the ice size, but I can see him competing this year. If he doesn’t start with the habs, he will at least get a call up.

Fairly sure 1-3 of our current D gets traded before the 1st month of the season is over.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Michkov coming soon in NA; maybe too soon if he didn't learn enough in his sub russian league. He wasn't in the khl, and is a lower league than the nhl and he skip directly to the nhl next year, good luck for him, he's gonna need it.
He played in the KHL last season and the one before. You should try to be more scientific and factual yourself sometimes.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
10 points in 31 Liiga games or whatever!!!!! I'm sure your opinion this time is as right as the last time because you are just as smug.
Is it my opinion that Michkov played in the KHL last season or is it a simple fact our other commentator here got wrong?

Speaking of smug, don’t you think it’s pathetic for someone to demand “scientific” level dialogue from others but then get basic information completely wrong?

In case it hasn’t been clear enough for people like you: I’ve been perfectly supportive of Reinbacher and the decision to pick him over Michkov. But I think you should agree there is no need to smear Michkov’s character or that of any other young player the Habs didn’t pick. It’s a stinky thing to do and a stinky thing for the rest of us to have to read. It makes us look pathetic. Likewise we should aspire to not be in a situation where fans openly lie about basic facts to win arguments (in their head).

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Is it my opinion that Michkov played in the KHL last season or is it a simple fact our other commentator here got wrong?

Speaking of smug, don’t you think it’s pathetic for someone to demand “scientific” level dialogue from others but then get basic information completely wrong?

In case it hasn’t been clear enough for people like you: I’ve been perfectly supportive of Reinbacher and the decision to pick him over Michkov. But I think you should agree there is no need to smear Michkov’s character or that of any other young player the Habs didn’t pick. It’s a stinky thing to do and a stinky thing for the rest of us to have to read. It makes us look pathetic. Likewise we should aspire to not be in a situation where fans openly lie about basic facts to win arguments (in their head).
We can discuss as fans about many aspects of players like we always do. We had trouble in the past with players having a bad attitude and the results was a splitted locker room and overall disfunctional team. Ribeiro and Galchenyuk comes to mind. If there are players with similar problems, we can discuss. The proofs behind those blabla have to be accurate or to take with a grain of salt, the wait and see applies. We have to aknowledge there can be machine of rumours and propaganda. Both exists. But that doesn't make us pathetic to discuss about it. If someone doesn't like reading that, he can always skip the reading.

In trust the actual management of the Habs more than all the Button, Basu and the experts in medias covering hockey. The new management have a good team of scouts now and especially for the russian prospects they have the network to access all the informations needed.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Are the Habs in the NHL or AHL? Please be as scientific as possible while you ponder this question.
He doesn't have to care care of the 200 feet game, he just skate on the blue or red line to get a pass, the entire team is about -21, he's -6, not too bad. So yes he's in the khl but he doesn't need to fill the duty of the players playing in top teams. I'm just repeating hockey experts who quote he wasn't really in khl. A quote like this is 50% scientific, lol, I'm quoting a journalist.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Not a lot of mod activity either. Please make a Michkov thread mods.

I would love some news on Reinbacher!

For what it is worth, it is too early to tell how good he will be. I thought he played fairly well for Laval. It will take him time to adjust to the ice size, but I can see him competing this year. If he doesn’t start with the habs, he will at least get a call up.

Fairly sure 1-3 of our current D gets traded before the 1st month of the season is over.
Yeah I addressed this in another post just earlier. He showed a lot more offensive flair than I expected of him in Laval, and I think Kloten being garbage this year had him on his heels feeling like he had to defend a lot.

I don't expect him to start with the Habs, which is fine. Positive progression is all I need to see.

Reactions: Bacchus1

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yeah I addressed this in another post just earlier. He showed a lot more offensive flair than I expected of him in Laval, and I think Kloten being garbage this year had him on his heels feeling like he had to defend a lot.

I don't expect him to start with the Habs, which is fine. Positive progression is all I need to see.
He showed alot of good things in his 11 game AHL stint. Exciting prospect

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He was loaned to Sochi, technicly a khl team but such a lower range of team. He didn't make the SKA team, aka the big team.

There's a lot of politics on KHL teams apparently. So I'm not sure why he didn't "make" the team and/or why he was loaned out.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Dude. You obsessively and disingenuously bashed, ridiculed and made fun of OUR OWN #1 overall pick daily for over 1.5 years when he was 18 years old and brand new to North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad