Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Ok so do the exercise with the defenseman who are projected to go in the 2-4 range of this draft.

Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson.

Are they Makar-level skater? No.
IQ insanely off the charts? No.
Huge and a beast defensively? Silayev is huge, I guess but he's not intimidating.
Super offensively gifted? No.

You're asking for the Habs to pick someone at 5 who would basically go at 2 behind Bedard last year.

Picking at 5 does not guarantee a superstar player.
I like how you cherry picked Parekh and Buium out of there for skating/IQ/Dynamic purposes.

If you're 6'7 you're intimidating. Full stop. Going in corners with those guys sucks ass no matter what.

Dickinson has a great IQ and is pretty good offensively and is a way better all around pick than Reinbacher.

Reinbacher in this draft isn't the first D taken. Maybe like the 4th or 5th.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like how you cherry picked Parekh and Buium out of there for skating/IQ/Dynamic purposes.

If you're 6'7 you're intimidating. Full stop. Going in corners with those guys sucks ass no matter what.

Dickinson has a great IQ and is pretty good offensively and is a way better all around pick than Reinbacher.

I didn't cherry pick them out - nobody mentions them as the defenseman going in the top 5. If you want to include them, OK, Parekh doesn't have the skating like Makar, he has an elite shot but the compete and defensive IQ is a massive question mark.

Same with Buium, his edges might be Hutson level, but the skating has mechanical issues and the defending is okay at best.

At 6'7 you're not intimidating if you don't throw hits. No one is intimidated by a tall beanpole skating around with no physical game.

Dickinson's IQ was legitimately just questioned today on The Athletic pod.

Reinbacher is still likely the first defenseman taken this year.

Reactions: nicehiss

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I didn't cherry pick them out - nobody mentions them as the defenseman going in the top 5. If you want to include them, OK, Parekh doesn't have the skating like Makar, he has an elite shot but the compete and defensive IQ is a massive question mark.

Same with Buium, his edges might be Hutson level, but the skating has mechanical issues and the defending is okay at best.

At 6'7 you're not intimidating if you don't throw hits. No one is intimidated by a tall beanpole skating around with no physical game.

My point wasn't that Reinbacher isn't a superstar player, it's that there is no part of his game that excites me or makes me think him worthy of 5th overall at all. All of the D sniffing around the 5th selection this year actually have qualities to their game that are intriguing, even if they may not be as well-rounded.

I made a point earlier in the thread that most likely NHL teams wanted Reinbacher because they needed D and he was a D, not because he wowed them on paper with his skills.

Reactions: Habs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My point wasn't that Reinbacher isn't a superstar player, it's that there is no part of his game that excites me or makes me think him worthy of 5th overall at all. All of the D sniffing around the 5th selection this year actually have qualities to their game that are intriguing, even if they may not be as well-rounded.

I made a point earlier in the thread that most likely NHL teams wanted Reinbacher because they needed D and he was a D, not because he wowed them on paper with his skills.

And my point is that at 5 you aren't looking at superstars, sure they happen, but that's not a realistic view of how 5th overalls work. Morgan Rielly was a 5th overall, he's not a superstar defenseman, he's not really a 1D either but he's still a valuable defenseman, his issue is that he HAS to be a 1D on that roster because they are so top heavy on forwards.

The Habs and the league identified a pretty high floor defenseman on a steep upward trajectory and whether you value it or not, teams love right shot defenseman with advanced defensive game and the ability to transition the puck under pressure with tremendous poise.

No other defenseman, specifically right shot D, in this class, give you that package.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

It's fine, that its one flaw. He's a boring pick that will go underappreciated for years by the fanbase.

His 2nd problem is the same fanbase convinced themselves they were getting a generational talent at #5, but that's another story.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

And Michkov would probably not make the top 10 this year.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Is there a link to this very bold statement?

That draft was that draft and this draft is this draft. Should’ve picked that player or this player and comparing drafts and because where we are we should’ve picked this or that guy like holy f*** lol

First, you don’t where you’ll be picking from year to year so saying Reinbacher wouldn’t be worthy of THIS years 5th overall is silly. You didn’t even know last year how this years picks would rank. You got risers and fallers and then you don’t even know where you’ll be picking 365 days from now.

Plus you can’t say definitely that this player is better then the other as they haven’t developed yet and we haven’t seen any of these players on the big stage not named Bedard/Fantilli.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's wild to say
He was 7th last year. I'm not talking about 19 and a half years old Michkov i'm talking about 18 years old Michkov. It's a quality top 10 and there's a couple of guys without too many question marks.

This is as wild as taking a shot at Reinbacher for not being top 4 dman in a dmen heavy draft while Michkov would not be top 3 forwards this year in a dmen heavy draft.

Michkov is an interesting prospect but people act like he's Ovechkin or Malkin. Like guys come back on earth please. He might develop to be as good as them but as a prospect he's not there.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
He was 7th last year. I'm not talking about 19 and a half years old Michkov i'm talking about 18 years old Michkov. It's a quality top 10 and there's a couple of guys without too many question marks.

This is as wild as taking a shot at Reinbacher for not being top 4 dman in a dmen heavy draft while Michkov would not be top 3 forwards this year in a dmen heavy draft.

Michkov is an interesting prospect but people act like he's Ovechkin or Malkin. Like guys come back on earth please. He might develop to be as good as them but as a prospect he's not there.
You know why he ended up #7 . Let's be honest. He's also burning a men league at 18 idk. Id rather have him than the 3-10 in this draft

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

My take as well, the only other one I have as equal as Reinbacher is Dickinson but being a LD he'd come second.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
And Michkov would probably not make the top 10 this year.

Not really my forte but does Reinbacher goes to Laval or in europe next season? (I don't see him in the NHL next year)

That's wild to say
Wild to say and wrong.

People put Michkov's talent-level on par with Bedard, and Bedard > Celebrini. Not saying Michkov is going 1st overall at all because Demidov is considered a more complete player by some people but he would definitely go top 10.

Reactions: Habs and Mrb1p

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Is there a link to this very bold statement?

That draft was that draft and this draft is this draft. Should’ve picked that player or this player and comparing drafts and because where we are we should’ve picked this or that guy like holy f*** lol

First, you don’t where you’ll be picking from year to year so saying Reinbacher wouldn’t be worthy of THIS years 5th overall is silly. You didn’t even know last year how this years picks would rank. You got risers and fallers and then you don’t even know where you’ll be picking 365 days from now.

Plus you can’t say definitely that this player is better then the other as they haven’t developed yet and we haven’t seen any of these players on the big stage not named Bedard/Fantilli.
There's a lot of anger in here for nothing that I said at all. For the statement I bolded above, I never once said that "we should have picked a forward because this year is a D heavy draft". Never said to base your draft strategy off of the next year's draft, so settle down a little.

I can definitely say this player is better than another RIGHT NOW or at the same age. Why can't I? They're apples to apples comparisons. They're both 18, both D, both draft eligible. I also never said that Reinbacher won't be good or isn't good or won't develop to be good, not once. I just said I hated the pick because it was the room-temperature water of picks.

You literally made up a scenario in your head and got mad at me for saying it.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Wild to say and wrong.

People put Michkov's talent-level on par with Bedard, and Bedard > Celebrini. Not saying Michkov is going 1st overall at all because Demidov is considered a more complete player by some people but he would definitely go top 10.
I'd have it:

Bedard
Celebrini
Michkov
Demidov

All on the same tier, with Michkov and Demidov probably the closest together in terms of talent.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wild to say and wrong.

Not sure where i said Michkov is not skilled. Listen for one i said probably and not surely. For two it was mostly a way to describe how it is silly to take down Reinbacher by saying he would not be top 4 in a dmen heavy draft. I've seen nothing of Reinbacher telling me it's a bad pick so far and Michkov still got the same red flags he had before. There might be a reason SKA did not want a near ppg player in their lineup.

I'd have it:

Bedard
Celebrini
Michkov
Demidov

All on the same tier, with Michkov and Demidov probably the closest together in terms of talent.
None of those guys are on the same tier as Bedard. Bedard was a near ppg player at 18 in the NHL playing for a team with no top 6 talent. The 2nd best offensive player of the Hawks was Kurashev and i've seen enough of Kurashev in Quebec to tell you he's no top 6 player.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Not sure where i said Michkov is not skilled. Listen for one i said probably and not surely. For two it was mostly a way to describe how it is silly to take down Reinbacher by saying he would not be top 4 in a dmen heavy draft. I've seen nothing of Reinbacher telling me it's a bad pick so far and Michkov still got the same red flags he had before. There might be a reason SKA did not want a near ppg player in their lineup.

None of those guys are on the same tier as Bedard. Bedard was a near ppg player at 18 in the NHL playing for a team with no top 6 talent. The 2nd best offensive player of the Hawks was Kurashev and i've seen enough of Kurashev in Quebec to tell you he's no top 6 player.
Jeez, people are sensitive today. How am I trying to "take down Reinbacher"? He's a Hab, I want him to be the next Victor Hedman. I'm not trying to take him down. It's my honest assessment looking at the D available in this draft compared to last year's. 18 year old Reinbacher doesn't get taken 2-3-4 in this year's draft like Levshunov or any of the other D that are being talked about in that spot.

He's fine. That's my problem with the pick, it was just fine. That's it. And at fifth overall, I'm not a fan of going with just fine.

Reactions: LaP

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Jeez, people are sensitive today. How am I trying to "take down Reinbacher"? He's a Hab, I want him to be the next Victor Hedman. I'm not trying to take him down. It's my honest assessment looking at the D available in this draft compared to last year's. 18 year old Reinbacher doesn't get taken 2-3-4 in this year's draft like Levshunov or any of the other D that are being talked about in that spot.

He's fine. That's my problem with the pick, it was just fine. That's it. And at fifth overall, I'm not a fan of going with just fine.
I think you'll be surprised to see Celebrini especially in the NHL. Won't have the same offense as Bedard but Bedard's defense also isn't in the same league as Celebrini's.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The why he was drafted 7th is still present and would still be an issue. Zherdev was highly skilled too. Guy was a monster.
GMs and scouts are afraid of drafting the next Filatov. Michkov could be an improved version of Kovalchuk or he could be Filatov.

Even if he has things that can’t be taught, he has a lot to learn and he might not learn them… so people go for the safer pick.

The only problem for the Habs with all this…is that without a Michkov lvl offensive talent, they are destined to go the stl-Louis model, which tries to capitalize on the occasional Cinderella run.

That’s what the Habs have been trying for 30 years. The current management might be structuring it a little better then past GMs but it still the same path IMO. And that is why I find it unbelievable that they were unanimous in the decision. Tunnel vision. Everyone sees it the same way.

Some people seem to think it is easy to find and create a Patrice Bergeron. That is completely insane. I like Suzuki but building a plan on hope that he becomes on the Patrice Bergeron level is crazy. That is why you need to take the chance when a guy like Michkov drops to 5.

But that is over now. We are stuck in the stl-louis model unless we get lucky. So might as well add more and more well rounded guys and hope for the goalie to get hot.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
GMs and scouts are afraid of drafting the next Filatov. Michlov could be an improved version of Kovalchuk or he could be Filatov.

Even if he has things that can’t be taught, he has a lot to learn and he might not learn them… so people go for the safer pick.

The only problem for the Habs with all this…is that without a Michkov lvl offensive talent, they are destined to go the stl-Louis model, which tries to capitalize on the occasional Cinderella run.

That’s what the Habs have been trying for 30 years. The current management might be structuring it a little better then past GMs but it still the same path IMO. And that is why I find it unbelievable that they were unanimous in the decision. Tunnel vision. Everyone sees it the same way.

Some people seem to think it is easy to find and create a Patrice Bergeron. That is completely insane. I like Suzuki but building a plan on hope that he becomes on the Patrice Bergeron level is crazy. That is why you need to take the chance when a guy like Michkov drops to 5.

But that is over now. We are stuck in the stl-louis model unless we get lucky. So might as well add more and more well rounded guys and hope for the goalie to get hot.
I think i have more faith in Slafkovsky than you. I think he'll be a special player and better than any forwards Stl had. I might be wrong though. I think management probably believe in Slaf to become the elite player they need too and are confident they can get a good enough forward to surround him this year and did not like the remaining forwards last year. If Dach can remain healthy Slaf and Dach will be a hard duo to face in a few years imo.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
GMs and scouts are afraid of drafting the next Filatov. Michlov could be an improved version of Kovalchuk or he could be Filatov.

Basically this. I'm so tired of bland, conservative pie in the sky Karakter/Kulture teams that don't have the talent to ever be elite.

It's insufferable.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's not what he has shown in the AHL. His hands seemed fine. He's clearly not Makar but Matvichuk is a gross undervaluation. After what Rainbacher has shown in the AHL last year even if the sample size was small it makes the overly negative predictions look like people trying to be negative just for the sake of it. Svoboda would probably be a better comparable.
Bigger and better defensive than Svoboda. He was safe pick, but not top pairing on cup team. Doesn't have the hands. Reminds me a lot of young Pesce. He'll score around 35-40 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad