Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Now that michkov is coming over in a few months there will be a lot of attention on reinbacher. A little unfair as they are totally different players and play a different position but it will be there. A lot wanted michkov to be the pick at 5 for mtl
Wasn’t Michkov picked 7th?

When it become a story that the Habs were the only team to pass on him?

Honestly, it’s a ridiculous narrative.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
We have Reinbacher now and I beleive he will be solid on D for a long time. Let’s support the kid and move on from not picking Michkov.

There’s another young talent that will be added in a little over a month from now.

Lots of things to look forward to.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I really don't like this argument because it can excuse any pick ever made. What's the point of having a scouting team if every bad pick can be excused with "well other teams didn't draft this player either"?

Habs have had more issues than any other team in the league finding elite forwards, you'd think they would be the ones taking more risks to draft elite talents compared to the other teams.

I want to make it clear that Reinbacher can still be a more valuable/better player and that nothing is proven yet, but yes the Habs should rightfully recieve a ton of criticism if Michkov pans out and Reinbacher does not as much.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I really don't like this argument because it can excuse any pick ever made. What's the point of having a scouting team if every bad pick can be excused with "well other teams didn't draft this player either"?
You don’t like the argument that 6 teams passed on Michkov and not exclusively the Habs?

That is a fact.

I guaranteee you, this is only a storyline in Montreal and with their media/fans, for some odd reason, we tend to think everything is about us.

Furthermore, who said the player they picked instead was a bad pick?
Habs have had more issues than any other team in the league finding elite forwards, you'd think they would be the ones taking more risks to draft elite talents compared to the other teams.
Didn’t they take one the year before with the guy they drafted 1st overall?
I want to make it clear that Reinbacher can still be a more valuable/better player and that nothing is proven yet, but yes the Habs should rightfully recieve a ton of criticism if Michkov pans out and Reinbacher does not as much.
EVERY single team that passed on Michkov should receive a ton of criticism if he ends up being better than the player’s their own team selected.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You don’t like the argument that 6 teams passed on Michkov and not exclusively the Habs?
I don't like the argument that "well other teams passed up on him" when it comes to prospects. My point here is that using this argument is not only for Michkov, it's for every prospect that doesn't work out and it's not a good argument to use for every pick. As I said, this line of thinking can excuse any disappointing pick ever. Of course, you can't expect to hit on every single pick, but using this argument for every pick that didn't pan out is making excuses. For instance, if we swapped teams with Dallas right now, I don't think there would be an outrage that we passed up on Tage Thompson for Riley Tufte in 2016 given that we have made so many other great picks.

Not to mention, ever thought about how Bedard/Carlsson/Fantilli/Smith were projected to be 1st line players and were seen as safer than Michkov? So that leaves us and Arizona who aren't exactly the model of a successful franchise as the teams that passed on him.
I guaranteee you, this is only a storyline in Montreal and with their media/fans, for some odd reason, we tend to think everything is about us.
Probably because we have had the hardest time drafting high end forwards compared to other teams. Also the other teams that passed up on him include teams who got a forward prospect excelling as well, and Arizona who have like 5 fans and are notorious for making odd selections.
Furthermore, who said the player they picked instead was a bad pick?
Not me, in fact, I made this very clear in the last part of my post.
Didn’t they take one the year before with the guy they drafted 1st overall?
I must have missed Slaf's PPG season in the NHL. Not to mention, using a 1st overall pick isn't exactly a way to evaluate drafting ability.
EVERY single team that passed on Michkov should receive a ton of criticism if he ends up being better than the player’s their own team selected.
Especially the Habs, the only team to not have drafted a player that hit 70 points in a season since 2003.

Again, Reinbacher can definitely pan out and be more valuable than Michkov or even make us forget about Michkov, but my point here is that I just don't like your argument of "well other teams passed up on him" because if you use it this high up in the draft, it could also be used for all the later picks where drafting becomes harder. And if you use this argument for every pick, when do you stop using the argument and acknowledge that maybe the issue is your scouting team that consistently fails to draft elite players?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Habs fans out here acting like Michkov was the Montreal Canadiens anointed pick and they shunned him for another.

Stop it
For one reason only. Out of the picks that were made BEFORE the Habs, the very 1st pick that made people say WTF was our pick. Nobody thought Mickhov would have surpassed Bedard. Nor were people surprised by Carlsson and Fantilli. Now, maybe you could state Will Smith. But him again in some listing was seen ahead. And yes, Phoenix is another one. So Habs and Phoenix, big questions marks. Happens we picked 1st out of those 2 teams.

Also, the idea is that the first 4 picks, you could have an argument for the fact that they chose BPA. When for us, through Hughes comment, we decided to go position. Reason why you also have to add that into consideration.

Also we sucked at drafting and developing offensive forwards. At one point, enough is enough.

In the end, yeah...no matter how Michkov does....it's what REinbacher does that is important.

Frankly though...they better be right.

Last edited:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Habs fans out here acting like Michkov was the Montreal Canadiens anointed pick and they shunned him for another.

Stop it
He obviously wasn't the "anointed pick" . . . but he should have been the pick. I don't care that four other teams that could have picked him also chose not to.,

Reactions: Talik Sanis

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The "other teams" had legit reasons to pass...Michkov told Arizona that he's not interested to play there and all the teams ahead of Montreal picked a potential 1C.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I feel bad for Reinbacher, he will have a lot of pressure on him early that he really doesn't deserve and that Habs management inadvertently foisted on him but it is what it is. He better be good, and soon . . . for his own mental health and happiness.
Yea he looks like a good kid and doesn't deserve any comparison to Michkov.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I feel bad for Reinbacher, he will have a lot of pressure on him early that he really doesn't deserve and that Habs management inadvertently foisted on him but it is what it is. He better be good, and soon . . . for his own well-being and happiness.
He seems like a tough kid, Slaf handled all the Wright/Cooley comments well and it's something that management looks into when drafting.

This will be a good test for the new management. If Michkov comes in and becomes a superstar, it'll be a big mistake considering they're going to ignore potential top pairing defensemen just to find someone to fill the role Michkov will.
If Demidov somehow falls to us it would soften the blow big time.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
When you look at the drafts of the last 10 years. The first def being picked pretty much always become a good to great def in the league. A big RD, minutes munching def is more valuable IMO than a winger. Unless Michkov become a superstar in the league (which I dont think he will) we made the right pick. Of course Reinbacher will have pressure but thats part of the job. The management group seems to be good judge of characters so Im not worry about Reinbacher handling the pressure of Montreal.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I know this is going to sound crazy but two or three things can be true at the same time, for example;
- I wanted Michkov at 5
- I didn’t want to go with Reinbacher while a lot of forwards seemed high quality (Leonard Benson etc) and thus had options to not go Michkov if the risks were too big (turns out a major one wasn’t true (contract issues)
- Now that we have Rein and I’ve seen him play, I’ll cheer for him and my expectations are the same as Hugo that he won’t be a #1 , no PP Qb on the horizon but will be expected to be a puck mover/ distributor.
- And in my viewings his D side wasn’t all that swell but he’s young and can improve in the new environment.

So I feel like that’s all true and not in contradiction at all. Why does a “criticism” need to be construed as anything else but a legit thought on the precise matter at hand? Does that make me for example (nobody said that) a hater or a booster??

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Technically, one other team passed on Michkov, if it comes down to that. There was mostly consensus on who the top 4 players to leave the board would be and it played out exactly in that manner.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
The "other teams" had legit reasons to pass...Michkov told Arizona that he's not interested to play there and all the teams ahead of Montreal picked a potential 1C.
one more interesting question, why did ska pass on two more years of michkov? they just terminated a contract of the next great thing? there is some catch with michkov nobody talks about, but i guess the time will tell.

Reactions: montreal

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I know this is going to sound crazy but two or three things can be true at the same time, for example;
- I wanted Michkov at 5
- I didn’t want to go with Reinbacher while a lot of forwards seemed high quality (Leonard Benson etc) and thus had options to not go Michkov if the risks were too big (turns out a major one wasn’t true (contract issues)
- Now that we have Rein and I’ve seen him play, I’ll cheer for him and my expectations are the same as Hugo that he won’t be a #1 , no PP Qb on the horizon but will be expected to be a puck mover/ distributor.
- And in my viewings his D side wasn’t all that swell but he’s young and can improve in the new environment.

So I feel like that’s all true and not in contradiction at all. Why does a “criticism” need to be construed as anything else but a legit thought on the precise matter at hand? Does that make me for example (nobody said that) a hater or a booster??
I thought hutson is your guys PP qb of the future?
Reinbacher was never going to get that role no?

Reactions: Gustave

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
one more interesting question, why did ska pass on two more years of michkov? they just terminated a contract of the next great thing? there is some catch with michkov nobody talks about, but i guess the time will tell.
Because they know he wants to leave? Because they've treated him like shit exactly for that reason?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I thought hutson is your guys PP qb of the future?
Reinbacher was never going to get that role no?
When the guy who just drafted you makes a point of it to SAY outright that he’s not expecting you to be a PP Qb, you can bet that you are not going to that org for that aspect of your game.

You are correct, sir.

Curious guys................do you think Reinbacher can become a Dman, like Evan Bouchard of the Oilers?
Does he possess that type of shot for our PP??
No. He’s not that kind of d-man. Bouch is all O no D.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad