Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
it will be interesting to see if in a few years stuff leaks about Michkov and the draft as I thought something really odd was going on there and then you had Price go up and make our pick but then didn't even know his name.

So far I haven't been overly impressed with Leonard at BC, I think Perreault has looked better and while Smith has been pretty good I thought he would look better but I'm also not focused on them since I'm only there to watch Fowler.
Do you know why Perreault has drafted so low? I has expecting him to be drafted in the top 17.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Yes and no. The ceiling of Michkov is pretty high. But the risk something fail with Mich is so high. At the end, Rein is a safe pick and was projected to be gone soon around 5 or 6. At 7 he was gone 100% sure. The picture of perfect duos in D makes me dream as much as a good forward or even more. If Reinbacher become the player we dream of, retrospectly that was a good pick. Having a great forward is very helpfull, as long as he become the player expected. A lot of promising prospect never make it. This year after Bedard or after #3, it wasn't that much a good year with forwards.
Odd post.
what is the so high risk something fails with Michkov besides the 3 year wait? You think Russians will not be allowed to play in NHL anymore?

how about: Having a great DMAN is very helpful, as long as he becomes the player expected. A lot of promising prospects never make it.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
What is his upside? Is he in the calibre of Jiricek or Nemec?
A very good question. I looked through looking their pre-draft reports (post-draft is meaningless) over summer because I had the same query, based on the reports the answer is no. Nemec especially had a lot more consistent praise and the rankings reflected it.

I think Reinbacher coming from a lesser league worked against his draft rank big time because he really did smoke the league (relatively speaking). There are criticisms for his game that are less pronounced with Nemec and Jiricek — whether scouts and analysts were more forgiving of them two because of their more typical background, I dunno.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Odd post.
what is the so high risk something fails with Michkov besides the 3 year wait? You think Russians will not be allowed to play in NHL anymore?

how about: Having a great DMAN is very helpful, as long as he becomes the player expected. A lot of promising prospects never make it.
Many scouts and management would say Reinbacher is less risky. The expected ceiling of Michkov, not gone at 4, there's a signal there. Not even the Yotes took him. He's tagged risky player around nhl teams. Now go figure their reasons.

What I meant is more nhl teams were predicting Reinbacher would reach his potential, more chances than other prospects. It's not really my opinion but what the scouts said after the draft or the reading of this after hindsight.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Odd post.

There are other risks with Michkov as he could be a contractual nightmare, locker room cancer, primadonna/coach killer. Hughes and Gorton rightfully put a lot of stock into culture and he may have been considered too much of a risk. He may turn out to be a great kid but there is no doubt that there was plenty of smoke about attitude issues and Bobrov would know if that is true or not so I have no choice but to side with their decision here.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A very good question. I looked through looking their pre-draft reports (post-draft is meaningless) over summer because I had the same query, based on the reports the answer is no. Nemec especially had a lot more consistent praise and the rankings reflected it.

I think Reinbacher coming from a lesser league worked against his draft rank big time because he really did smoke the league (relatively speaking). There are criticisms for his game that are less pronounced with Nemec and Jiricek — whether scouts and analysts were more forgiving of them two because of their more typical background, I dunno.

I definitely preferred Nemec, Jiricek, Mintyukov and Korchinski over Reinbacher in their respective draft years as I just don't see the same level of hands/puck skill with Reinbacher. That being said, even though I still prefer those four I would not rule out Reinbacher ending up as the best of the bunch as Dmen typically take longer than forwards to reach their potential and each of these players has plenty of runway and are not even close to being finished products. I just wouldn't bet on him becoming better than any of those four.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Many scouts and management would say Reinbacher is less risky. The expected ceiling of Michkov, not gone at 4, there's a signal there. Not even the Yotes took him. He's tagged risky player around nhl teams. Now go figure their reasons.

What I meant is more nhl teams were predicting Reinbacher would reach his potential, more chances than other prospects. It's not really my opinion but what the scouts said after the draft or the reading of this after hindsight.
Top 4 forwards were all first-class prospects. Nothing wrong there.
Doesnt say anything about Michkov. Signal???

The Yotes should have taken him at 5 instead of Simashev. Pretty obvious take, even for Yotes fans!

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
There are other risks with Michkov as he could be a contractual nightmare, locker room cancer, primadonna/coach killer. Hughes and Gorton rightfully put a lot of stock into culture and he may have been considered too much of a risk. He may turn out to be a great kid but there is no doubt that there was plenty of smoke about attitude issues and Bobrov would know if that is true or not so I have no choice but to side with their decision here.
I made peace with the Michkov snub on account of known unknowns such as the intangibles to which you refer.

Let’s hope the Habs scouted well and their unanimous pick wasn’t just an echo chamber.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Yikes. End of the world type i see. No choice.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Top 4 forwards were all first-class prospects. Nothing wrong there.
Doesnt say anything about Michkov. Signal???

The Yotes should have taken him at 5 instead of Simashev. Pretty obvious take, even for Yotes fans!

There is nothing obvious about that assertion.

How many times have you interviewed these players? How many times have you watched them play live? How many insiders/contacts do you have that have actually worked with these players? You, like anyone else are entitled to your opinion but you should remember that you only have a fraction of the data that NHL teams and their scouting staffs have on these players. Any of our preferences that we may fight tooth and nail for on these boards are not based on nearly enough to make an adequately informed opinion. Claiming that your take is/was the "obvious" correct path to take is extremely arrogant and far more dependant on blind luck than the professionals with the required data to actual reach an informed decision.

You may very well be correct, but if you are don't confuse this small victory with you having "out scouted" anyone.

Yikes. End of the world type i see. No choice.

???????

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Father was murdered, I imagine it was stressful for him. Not really fair to judge Michkov attitude

ginomini

May 25, 2014

Not sure I understand the "lesser league" because the swiss league is for sure a step above the czech and especially the slovak league

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would have much rather had Jiricek/Nemec + Michkov than our picks, especially with next year's draft being D heavy and our need for goal scoring top 6 players.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong!

For me, the forward I wanted was Leonard before Michkov.

But I wasn't a no-Michkov guy. I wouldn't have minded if they took him.

But I'm also excited for Reinbacher.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
There is nothing obvious about that assertion.

How many times have you interviewed these players? How many times have you watched them play live? How many insiders/contacts do you have that have actually worked with these players? You, like anyone else are entitled to your opinion but you should remember that you only have a fraction of the data that NHL teams and their scouting staffs have on these players. Any of our preferences that we may fight tooth and nail for on these boards are not based on nearly enough to make an adequately informed opinion. Claiming that your take is/was the "obvious" correct path to take is extremely arrogant and far more dependant on blind luck than the professionals with the required data to actual reach an informed decision.

You may very well be correct, but if you are don't confuse this small victory with you having "out scouted" anyone.

???????
Just like getting takes from selected scouts is. Unless i’m talking to a pro scout, your 3 questions are waste of time.

I didnt outscout anyone, not sure where you get that. Was pretty unanimous right there at the draft. Michkov’s year does nothing to back from that fact. The guy misses a couple of games for illness and the docs in here call for life-threatening career-ending virus. Yet nobody is worried about Simashev. Should give you a clue.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Watching the WJC last year, DR actually outshone those guys on a horrendous team. The kid will be a stud
Exactly. I 100% didn't want the Habs to draft him at that point in time but those WJCs showed me he was an elite talent worthy of a top pick.

I was hoping for michkov all the way but I understand the direction and I am on board. Get the elite defense/transition going and the possession/scoring will follow.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad