Prospect Info: David Reinbacher - Get Well Soon Edition

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
After watching this team in the defensive zone the first 4 games it shows how much we need help defensively and why picking him made tons of sense. Aside from Guhle, we don't have someone else who can log lots of tough minutes and be trusted enough defensively to help hold a lead late in a game.
100% , need a freaking defensive breakup/stop here and there , the merry go round around our net needs to end!

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not saying you are wrong but curious to know what tools you think he don't have?
He is big but not overly physical, big shot but not great at walking the blue line to use it or get open, he is poised with the puck and move it efficiently but doesn’t have great stick handling or creativity. He was drafted because he was a RD and is floor was higher his celling was also high but he isn’t a impact player he his doing the small / right thing which is also very valuable but still it isn’t a slam dunk that he is the next Slavin, maybe he just above avg. #4.
Dobson, Pietrangelo and some other name I read were dominating everything everywhere, Reinbacher showed flashes but I have never considered him to be dominating, those D year numbers were very misleading.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is big but not overly physical, big shot but not great at walking the blue line to use it or get open, he is poised with the puck and move it efficiently but doesn’t have great stick handling or creativity. He was drafted because he was a RD and is floor was higher his celling was also high but he isn’t a impact player he his doing the small / right thing which is also very valuable but still it isn’t a slam dunk that he is the next Slavin, maybe he just above avg. #4.
Dobson, Pietrangelo and some other name I read were dominating everything everywhere, Reinbacher showed flashes but I have never considered him to be dominating, those D year numbers were very misleading.

I tend to agree with all of this. That was my gut feeling when we drafted Reinbacher as well. I think he's more of a stable top 4D than a top pairing stud. I have H Lindholm on my mind (at best).

Hope he gets healthy and surprises us. If he is at least a work horse that chews up min's for the coach and is trusted, we will be fine with this pick. We do need stable guys on D that get the job done

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
I truly do hope I’m wrong with my assessment of Reinbacher. I hope he succeeds and has a long career with Montreal.

I just don’t see any elite traits in his game and view him as a depth defenseman at best. I will be glad to eat crow in a few years if I’m wrong.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I truly do hope I’m wrong with my assessment of Reinbacher. I hope he succeeds and has a long career with Montreal.

I just don’t see any elite traits in his game and view him as a depth defenseman at best. I will be glad to eat crow in a few years if I’m wrong.

You will absolutely eat crow if all you think is he's a depth defenseman.

Ryan Suter doesn't have elite traits. Ryan McDonagh doesn't have elite traits. You can be a very good defenseman if you have size, skating, poise, and IQ in all 3 zones which Reinbacher has.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I tend to agree with all of this. That was my gut feeling when we drafted Reinbacher as well. I think he's more of a stable top 4D than a top pairing stud. I have H Lindholm on my mind (at best).

Hope he gets healthy and surprises us. If he is at least a work horse that chews up min's for the coach and is trusted, we will be fine with this pick. We do need stable guys on D that get the job done
A minute eating right D, sign me up.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
My boy did really f*** his shit up real good. Full leg brace.

Gahd damn
Good for him for going. Pretty tough for the kid. And I’ve said before. Lots of swimming for cardio and all muscles. It’s a no brainer.

I just don't have the energy to argue tonight, you are not wrong on talent, I think RM was really well liked and a more of a team guy personally. Talent wise, PK of course.. except maybe in his own zone?

Hey I didn't bring up Michkov yet, proud of me?
You just brought him up.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Carey price was a very unpopular pick on draft day but that quickly changed.

I wonder if that 2005 draft thread is still archived here somewhere.
Hated the price pick. Love price but at 5 that was stupid. Habs missed on kopitar if I remember. No one drafts goalies at 5 anymore for good reasons.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I think the reality is that Reinbacher was seen as the best prospect not named Michkov after the top 4 and that was seen by majority of the NHL hence the action around the pick and what we know about the teams trying to get the pick.

And that our scouting and management team aren't idiots that are surprised Michkov is a talented offensive player that scores in the NHL. Nobody is surprised Michkov is a good offensive player. It's the easiest call to make.

All of Reinbacher being seen as the next best pick after Michkov, the rarity of tall, smooth skating, right shot defenseman with high upside on the D side of the puck and great transition skills, coupled with the size of the potential forward group, the KHL contract and the fact Michkov wanted Philly and not San Jose, Montreal or Arizona, makes the calculus so that the management group decided that Reinbacher was the pick.

Everyone knew we weren't picking Michkov and they still acted like baboons when the selection happened. Even after the fact, it's all about us passing on Michkov and nothing about San Jose. We know Michkov is a better prospect than Will Smith. So if San Jose, Montreal and Arizona went in a different direction, maybe there's some massive truth to how Michkov played the process. Which he has every right to do. I much prefer what he did to Gauthier who told Philly he wanted to be a Flyer and then made them trade him at a massive loss.

The reason why we don't discuss the merit of Reinbacher is that the other side of the fence won't hear it or have a logical discussion about it. Every time Michkov does something, the worse Reinbacher becomes, I had a guy on Twitter say Reinbacher will never even play for the Habs now. It's so sensationalist.

It's pretty demeaning that people think that the scouting staff and management team are so stupid that they didn't know Michkov was an elite offensive talent. Everyone knew. That isn't a scouting masterclass.

They just looked at everything and made the decision to take Reinbacher. Which is a completely reasonable decision to make when you consider the talent, the rarity of the prospect and what Michkov wanted. Management teams don't generally invest a 5th overall pick on a guy that isn't all in on being a Hab. The reality is if that's the case you absolutely don't want a Gauthier situation where a few years later you have to sell him at a loss because he threatens to extend in the KHL.

It isn't a coincidence that they used the term culture with Reinbacher. It wasn't an attack on Michkovs character. It was a statement that Reinbacher wanted to be a Hab and Michkov wanted to be a Flyer.
Omg wall of words.

• Haha
Reactions: River Meadow

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hated the price pick. Love price but at 5 that was stupid. Habs missed on kopitar if I remember. No one drafts goalies at 5 anymore for good reasons.

The conventional pick at #5 was Gilbert Brule.

Kopitar would have been off the wall, but price was off the wall too. From what I recall, the decision at the table actually came down to Marc staal and price.

Anyways. You get a Hall of fame guy at #5.... We are really splitting hairs for still calling the pick stupid.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
And yet Price was far more valuable than even Kopitar.

Kopitar would have been extremely valuable for montreal too. He would have addressed a hole that montreal has had in their lineup for decades.

All I'm saying though is when you hit on a Hall of famer, there should be no complaints. Both of them will be in.

Reactions: Miller Time

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
And yet Price was far more valuable than even Kopitar.
Uh no. Kopitar won 2 cups with kings as a monster first center. Great offensively and defensively. You can always draft a good goalie in round 2. You can’t draft kopitar there. Habs fd up. Face it. Stupid to draft price that high.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Uh no. Kopitar won 2 cups with kings as a monster first center. Great offensively and defensively. You can always draft a good goalie in round 2. You can’t draft kopitar there. Habs fd up. Face it. Stupid to draft price that high.
Kings DID draft a good goalie in round 2. Jon Quick. Who arguably had a higher peak than Price.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's actually the depth of defensive prospects that people are excited about.

the depth on the roster in the context of winning hockey games today is another story.

Weird how obvious this is and yet too hard to grasp for some

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

You make it sound like they are just sitting there and our scouting is so top notch we could just grab them any year we wanted. Who have we drafted after Halak/Price that was a difference making goalie in the NHL??

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think the reality is that Reinbacher was seen as the best prospect not named Michkov after the top 4 and that was seen by majority of the NHL hence the action around the pick and what we know about the teams trying to get the pick.

And that our scouting and management team aren't idiots that are surprised Michkov is a talented offensive player that scores in the NHL. Nobody is surprised Michkov is a good offensive player. It's the easiest call to make.

All of Reinbacher being seen as the next best pick after Michkov, the rarity of tall, smooth skating, right shot defenseman with high upside on the D side of the puck and great transition skills, coupled with the size of the potential forward group, the KHL contract and the fact Michkov wanted Philly and not San Jose, Montreal or Arizona, makes the calculus so that the management group decided that Reinbacher was the pick.

Everyone knew we weren't picking Michkov and they still acted like baboons when the selection happened. Even after the fact, it's all about us passing on Michkov and nothing about San Jose. We know Michkov is a better prospect than Will Smith. So if San Jose, Montreal and Arizona went in a different direction, maybe there's some massive truth to how Michkov played the process. Which he has every right to do. I much prefer what he did to Gauthier who told Philly he wanted to be a Flyer and then made them trade him at a massive loss.

The reason why we don't discuss the merit of Reinbacher is that the other side of the fence won't hear it or have a logical discussion about it. Every time Michkov does something, the worse Reinbacher becomes, I had a guy on Twitter say Reinbacher will never even play for the Habs now. It's so sensationalist.

It's pretty demeaning that people think that the scouting staff and management team are so stupid that they didn't know Michkov was an elite offensive talent. Everyone knew. That isn't a scouting masterclass.

They just looked at everything and made the decision to take Reinbacher. Which is a completely reasonable decision to make when you consider the talent, the rarity of the prospect and what Michkov wanted. Management teams don't generally invest a 5th overall pick on a guy that isn't all in on being a Hab. The reality is if that's the case you absolutely don't want a Gauthier situation where a few years later you have to sell him at a loss because he threatens to extend in the KHL.

It isn't a coincidence that they used the term culture with Reinbacher. It wasn't an attack on Michkovs character. It was a statement that Reinbacher wanted to be a Hab and Michkov wanted to be a Flyer.
Here's the thing...whether it's through stupidity or the job is tough to predict, they all make mistakes. But tell me this....right d-man is STILL a necessity. Frankly, it will always be. For us, who do we have at right? So tell me this....why Demidov instead of Yakemchuck? a Big d-man with tons of potential? Why Slaf instead of Nemec? 'Cause in the end, they prefer the non RD player than the RD player. Well that's what they did there. Prefered the RD thinking he was a better prospect. Over Michkov, Leonard or whoever.

But you know my take on the subject, when they said if he wouldn't have been picked RD...they would have probably go in a different direction, I think it's bogus.

This year...Tomas Lavoie is a righty with huge potential too....but we went Logan Sawyer. And frankly, I'm fine as, to me, it sounds more like they went BPA than needs. Yet you are advocating that NEEDS NEEDED to be front and center of that pick. I will not understand.

I do not see what Reinbacher did pre-draft that made him a top 5 pick. I will always believe that you don't go solely Defensive if you got top 5. You have to project offense. People will talk about how he had an interesting season in NL...1 season...with 3 goals. But NL isn't exactly a top end NHL providers. There were a few players that we know....but it's still rare.

I don't doubt he will help. The kid has indeed some fine defensive fundamentals. To me it just sounds more No4. And to me, that's not my understanding of a top 5 prospect.

One thing he better be though 'cause THAT will be the end of it....he better be the best RD of his draft year. Willander, Bonk and Sandin-Pelikka better not top him....'cause that will be the end of the argument...

Reactions: mdk

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Kings DID draft a good goalie in round 2. Jon Quick. Who arguably had a higher peak than Price.

I think quick was a great goalie. But you have a better argument to say that his career in total was better than price than to say that his peak was better than price.

Actually, Price's peak is the strength of his greatness argument rather than his weakness.

Also. not to discredit quick, but the kings were such a finely tuned machine back then that they were able to plug in goalies like scrivens and budaj, and they were also able to spit out some really good numbers too.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Briere said they (PHI team) had a strong debate and ended up leaning Michkov if they had choice of Michkov vs. Reinbacher.

So it was close for them.

It was still a mistake to not take Michkov at 5 though.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Briere said they (PHI team) had a strong debate and ended up leaning Michkov if they had choice of Michkov vs. Reinbacher.

So it was close for them.

It was still a mistake to not take Michkov at 5 though.
Curious, when did he say that ? Do you have a link ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad