Former Bruins David Krejci announces retirement.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think you're being sarcastic, but given his comment after the game today I'm thinking that Cassidy definitely had a hand in the timing of it. If Cassidy hadn't been here last year I'm thinking maybe Krejci would have gone year-to-year with the Bruins and saved his Czech return for the very end of his career. I am starting to suspect that it was never really the plan to leave for a year and come back to the NHL after, but that maybe his dissatisfaction with the coach might have pushed him in that direction.

The point being: yes he was always going to go home to play in Czechia, but maybe the coach situation had an effect on the when.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think you're being sarcastic, but given his comment after the game today I'm thinking that Cassidy definitely had a hand in the timing of it. If Cassidy hadn't been here last year I'm thinking maybe Krejci would have gone year-to-year with the Bruins and saved his Czech return for the very end of his career. I am starting to suspect that it was never really the plan to leave for a year and come back to the NHL after, but that maybe his dissatisfaction with the coach might have pushed him in that direction.

The point being: yes he was always going to go home to play in Czechia, but maybe the coach situation had an effect on the when.
I’m not being sarcastic at all. I don’t think Krejci goes home until the end if it weren’t for Cassidy

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
man, one thing that keeps coming to mind when watching Krejci with Pasta this year: There is a very, very good chance they win the Cup in 2019 if Cassidy takes Pasta off the Bergeron line during that run instead of waiting 2 frigging years to do it later. In fact I'm almost convinced if he had even waited all the way til game 7 to make that switch then it would have won them the series.

The Bergeron line was getting smothered by the Blues top pair and ROR line and the Krejci line was stuck with either Backes or Kuhlman. I really think dropping Pasta to the 2nd line would have changed the entire matchup equation in that series and at least given the 1st & 2nd lines 2 elite pairings (63/37 and 46/88). It would have given Pasta a lot more room to work with and likely would have gotten more out of Debrusk too. Backes easily could have played with Marchand & Bergeron and probably would have helped them simplify and break through the checking of the ROR line anyway.

It's no wonder Krejci to this day is so frustrated with Cassidy. I really do think his stubbornness cost them that Cup.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
man, one thing that keeps coming to mind when watching Krejci with Pasta this year: There is a very, very good chance they win the Cup in 2019 if Cassidy takes Pasta off the Bergeron line during that run instead of waiting 2 frigging years to do it later. In fact I'm almost convinced if he had even waited all the way til game 7 to make that switch then it would have won them the series.

The Bergeron line was getting smothered by the Blues top pair and ROR line and the Krejci line was stuck with either Backes or Kuhlman. I really think dropping Pasta to the 2nd line would have changed the entire matchup equation in that series and at least given the 1st & 2nd lines 2 elite pairings (63/37 and 46/88). It would have given Pasta a lot more room to work with and likely would have gotten more out of Debrusk too. Backes easily could have played with Marchand & Bergeron and probably would have helped them simplify and break through the checking of the ROR line anyway.

It's no wonder Krejci to this day is so frustrated with Cassidy. I really do think his stubbornness cost them that Cup.
Good take. Cassidy is a good coach, but was never good at making adjustments.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Good take. Cassidy is a good coach, but was never good at making adjustments.
I truly believe any coach has a shelf life. Doesn’t matter how good they are. It’s clear this group needed a change for the future and for today.

Bruce had a lot of great years here, as did Claude, but Monty fits this scheme really well. If we do end up going into a rebuild, really happy to have him here to develop some of our younger players like he has with JD and Freddy. Tough to name a forward Cassidy developed full stop other than JD, and he ended up requesting a trade seemingly because of him.

Bruce is a good coach and will be for a long time, but it was time for both parties to move on. Really happy they made the right choice and I’m sure Vegas is, too.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I’m not being sarcastic at all. I don’t think Krejci goes home until the end if it weren’t for Cassidy
It is certainly easy to draw that line, especially with his comment after the game.

I have learned over the years that players tend to be more honest in their second language.

Reactions: DKH

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
94C21959-A830-4F81-9870-6E301F74D028.jpeg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

It clearly did. The same is true of Bergeron.

If Cassidy had stayed, I'm fairly certain DK#46 would not have returned, even for a single season. I could be wrong, but I believe Patrice would have retired as well.

Not sure if either or both would have returned if the B's had hired, say, that Quinn guy (sic), which would have been a safe, boring and ultimately fruitless enterprise.

The fact that Jim Montgomery coaches as he does, appears to communicate very well with players (rookies, veterans, everyone), and his outgoing, enthusiastic personality had a lot do with The Revenge Tour, too.

It's all good. Very, very good.

What happens going forward this season is another matter.

In the meantime,

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Via email, NESN announced that David Krejci at 1,000 will air on January 25th.

full

Yesterday, David Krejci played in his 1,000th NHL game and became just the 7th Bruin to reach the milestone. NESN will honor his historic career with a 1-hour special, Krejci at 1,000, premiering on Wednesday, January 25th at 8 p.m. Relive his early days on skates directly from his parents from his hometown, to his journey to the NHL from teammates to hoisting the 2011 Stanley Cup.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I do think this is true, but I also think Covid was a factor, as Krejci himself has said. It quite possibly made him realize that he couldn't take it for granted that his parents and any other family would simply be there wherever he wanted to go back, or that he could travel and play in his native land whenever he wanted. In that sense I think it probably motivated him to do it sooner rather than later.

My sense therefore is that the situation with Cassidy was more impactful on him coming back than his original departure. Relevant to both, but merely an influence in one case and an absolute necessity in the other.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
Here's a picture I took of Special K (Krejci Kalus Karsums) back around 2006 2007ish at a meet the pbruins event at Dave and busters. Amazing how long krejci has been a part of the Bruins organization

And another, here is krejci in his #23 providence jersey (which he doubled to #46 when he came to boston)

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 8

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Here's a picture I took of Special K (Krejci Kalus Karsums) back around 2006 2007ish at a meet the pbruins event at Dave and busters. Amazing how long krejci has been a part of the Bruins organization

And another, here is krejci in his #23 providence jersey (which he doubled to #46 when he came to boston)
You know where that Krejci jersey is today ? In my daughters closet- actually one of those that year

We got Krejci and Sobotka game used out of pro Shop rack

The biggie was Marchand’s game worn was there and she was harping away for it and I didn’t feel like paying $100 or whatever
Really really dumb on my part

Krejci was super impressed when she had it back around 2008 or whenever he came up - they bonded over it 14 years ago

He’s an absolute gem

Attachments

• 7E0A2B2C-4FA0-441F-9E61-704812B57598.jpeg
    7E0A2B2C-4FA0-441F-9E61-704812B57598.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Great show. DK is such a special player it will be a sad day when he finally hangs up his skates.

Also loved seeing Boychuk, Lucic, Thomas, Ference & Seidenberg again! And of course, Claude.
I hope to get to see it sometime

Reactions: BMC

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
You know where that Krejci jersey is today ? In my daughters closet- actually one of those that year

We got Krejci and Sobotka game used out of pro Shop rack

The biggie was Marchand’s game worn was there and she was harping away for it and I didn’t feel like paying $100 or whatever
Really really dumb on my part

Krejci was super impressed when she had it back around 2008 or whenever he came up - they bonded over it 14 years ago

He’s an absolute gem
Wow that's awesome Dan!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
When Krejci got smoked by Adam Mair
Wow that's awesome Dan!
Alex next time you see her show her the picture and tell her would have been great if you got Marchand’s as well and watch the glare I get

It was just hanging in a rack game worn among Knackstedt, Levi Nelson, Bodnarchik - he was just a guy no nhl goals and I didn’t grab unfortunately

Someone here should have told me he’s a future NHL HOF player

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
43 points in 49 games
He will never get his due but I appreciate his game a tonne. Just makes players around him better.
Despite only one Cup, it's been an amazing era of Bruins hockey and he's been a huge part of that.
So happy he came back this season. Hopefully a few more.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Like the documentary NESN produced for Patrice Bergeron’s 1,000th game, “Krejci at 1,000″ is well worth the watch for any Bruins fan.

David Krejci understands this. Many of his friends have told him so. But right now, it’s too much of a look back for his taste.

“No, I haven’t watched it,” he said after practice recently. “I’m not a big guy with these things. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely going to watch it. I don’t think I’m going to watch it this year, or this hockey season. Just going to get it over with and focus on this season.”

It would make sense that he would not cue it up until he hangs up his skates for good.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said. “Definitely after this season, for sure. Whatever happens next season, whether I play or not, I’ll definitely watch after the season, sit back, probably watch with my family and make a nice little evening out of it.”

Krejci rarely telegraphs his intentions — not with the puck on his stick, certainly not on the topic of his future plans — but there is little doubt that we are nearing the end of an all-time great Bruins career. Krejci, who turns 37 in April, could return on another one-year deal. Maybe follow that with another. Or he could call it quits and return to South Carolina, where his wife and two children have been living this season.

He was not asked about that recently, because he has made it clear that he isn’t interested in the topic.

Most players like to discuss their craft, and this conversation with Krejci began with a question about passing detail.

“I think it’s the chemistry you have,” Krejci said. “Obviously the Sedin brothers, they had probably the best chemistry in hockey, right? It’s all about chemistry. Me, if anything, I try to take the spin off as much as I can, so that way the player can just catch it and shoot it right away. He doesn’t have to slow down the spin.”

A pass with a lot of spin, Krejci explained, can jump off a stick haywire no matter if it’s “favorable” or not.

“For a one-timer, I could see it, so you get a little help, a little more power,” he said. “I could see that. Other than that, I hate when you receive a pass when it’s spinning. It goes up the wall, it’s deflected and it’s spinning, you get it and it hits the blade and just moves. You have to take a half a second — and I like to take a half a second to keep my head up.”

His chemistry with Pastrnak and Pavel Zacha, his Czech mates, has been one of the most entertaining parts of this highly watchable Bruins team.

Zacha had a run of seven goals in 11 games, from Jan. 16 against Philadelphia to last Tuesday in Dallas. Krejci had the primary assist on five of them, delivering silky feeds. Eight of Krejci’s assists have been direct setups to Pastrnak, including four one-time rockets and an ankle-busting breakaway on Colorado netminder Pavel Francouz.

How does Pastrnak want the puck to arrive?

“He’s a special shooter, special player, right?” Krejci said. “He can shoot it from anywhere. He likes to shoot from the toe. His blade helps him. He can shoot from his heel, from anywhere. His wheelhouse is so big, so wide. You always want to put it in that spot where he can shoot it, but if not, he can still get it off pretty hard.”

Krejci and Pastrnak have mastered the fake-a-shot-and-slide-it-over technique.

“Because I’m a righty, it’s easier for me to look away and give a pass to Pasta,” Krejci said. “With Pasta, I’m already looking this way, my stick’s this way. With [a lefty] on the right, I have to turn back, and give that half a second. You don’t have the momentum of surprise.

“That’s why I always like a righthanded guy on my line, especially if they have a good one-timer. A lefthanded shot or a guy who doesn’t have a one-timer, he stops it, and then the momentum that I’m trying to create, take the goalie out this way, then the guy stops it and the goalie has enough time to get over.”

“I don’t look too much at the positives or the negatives,” Krejci said. “I’ve learned over the years to block out the outside noise. It’s kind of harder now with social media, there’s so much out there. It’s hard to escape from, and I don’t have any social media.

“It’s too out there. I grew up in a different world.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad