Olympics: Datsyuk says this medal means more than the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
The guy played against maybe 3 nhl level players all tournament lmao. I'm happy the NHL didn't go, but it would have been hilarious to see Russia get rolled by Canada, Sweden or the US again.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
The guy played against maybe 3 nhl level players all tournament lmao. I'm happy the NHL didn't go, but it would have been hilarious to see Russia get rolled by Canada, Sweden or the US again.
You Right. With NHL Russia probably not win this tournament and play like garbage . This happen because Russia dont have good coach. Not because Russian players overrated.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If ever put in the position I've rather win the Stanley Cup than the Olympic Gold.

But I get where the players who choose an Olympic Gold over the Cup are coming from. Representing their country means way more to them than representing a city.

Reactions: felixpettersson

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I dont get why a lot of posters in this thread feel like they have any right what so ever to tell anyone what they should value the most. A lot of europeans and russians value international medals over the cup, period.

As a North American, it's always been engrained that the Cup is the epitome of hockey glory.

Then I see the Finns, Swedes, Czechs and Russians. And over time, I have gotten it. Why wouldn't an Olympic Gold mean more to them? It's their country. They've all played for their national team. Why in the world would a championship for a North American city mean more to them than national glory? Would they rather celebrate in a U.S. city, or in front of the people of their home country?

I think of someone like Draisaitl. The amount of pride he'd feel for his countrymen if they pulled off the most impossible feat. But also likely disappointment not being in that position to enjoy such a moment. If he was there, that may have been his "Stanley Cup" moment.

When I say I'd rather choose the Stanley Cup than an Olympic Gold, it's because the Stanley Cup is so much harder to win. A number of years in which you play 82 games a season plus 16 to 28 playoff games, versus a two-week tournament every four years. One to me sees much more harder to accomplish. But I'll never fault a player to suggest playing for their country with the hopes of hearing/singing their national anthem at the end of it all is more important.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for him but if given the choice I'd rather a Stanley Cup than an Olympic medal but it's different strokes for different folks.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
An Olympic gold on a unified olympics team would only be fun for the moment for me because we won but quite frankly, representing your country and succeeding is very special, this no flag medal would mean nothing for me long term, at least in a team sport.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In the heat of the moment and the days immediately following, you're still riding a high from representing your country and bringing them a gold medal. It means so much to these guys.

If you really believe Datsyuk doesn't realize that the competition was inferior, you're fooling yourself. He knows this wasn't best on best. But it still means a lot to him, just like a World Championship would.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Well, this thread is quite salty.

From the perspective of any player outside Canada and the United States, it should absolutely mean more.

Reactions: dukeofjive

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
For Russian and many European players, winning the Stanley Cup is just a nice work related achievement. Winning Olympic gold is winning medal for your whole country. The players won't be calculating some "expected challenge formula" on how they should feel about it.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I mean, I could see if it was against the best...but that was some terrible, terrible quality Hockey.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
How is it a surprise that a lot of people still value winning something for their home country over winning it for a company?

Stanley Cup = your job
Olympics = national pride

I'm not saying national pride is inherently a good or bad thing but it still very much exists.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Lol. Yeah and Canada lost a full roster, America lost a full roster. Players who can win and not whine. Look at team Russia. It's always filled with KHL players because they lack depth of top end talent. Simple facts.

It's obvious which team was hurt by far the least. The team that lacked depth, that lacked winning pedigree. The Russians.

The attempts by Russian posters to claim every nation was equally hurt by NHL players not participating is a joke. Expected but still a hilarious read. I guess you have to rewrite history to make a nothingburger win seem important and equally valuable....and people mocking you are insecure? LOL.

I'm not claiming every team was hurt equally, I'm claiming Russia was hurt the most, which is backed by the seasons the players they were denied are having in the NHL. If the NHL went Canada and the US could well have benefited more due to having Babcock or Laviolette as a coach vs the moron Russia keeps trotting out, but Russia was denied the best actual talent.

It's obvious you're beyond insecure by dwelling on Datsyuk's sentiments shared with fellow Russians, and it's hilarious too. Please spew some more moronic shit for us to laugh at, Canadians may not be good for beating Germany and such but at least they're good for that after every single tournament they don't win. Maybe accuse Datsyuk of being a despot or some shit, that would be amazing.

redfire11

Jun 22, 2016
And what if a US or Canadian player playing in the KHL said The Olympic gold metal means more to them than winning the Gagarin Cup in the KHL.
It would mean NOTHING equal to what Datsyuk said!!!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm not claiming every team was hurt equally, I'm claiming Russia was hurt the most, which is backed by the seasons the players they were denied are having in the NHL. If the NHL went Canada and the US could well have benefited more due to having Babcock or Laviolette as a coach vs the moron Russia keeps trotting out, but Russia was denied the best actual talent.

It's obvious you're beyond insecure by dwelling on Datsyuk's sentiments shared with fellow Russians, and it's hilarious too. Please spew some more moronic **** for us to laugh at, Canadians may not be good for beating Germany and such but at least they're good for that after every single tournament they don't win. Maybe accuse Datsyuk of being a despot or some ****, that would be amazing.
When was the last time Russia beat Canada when the two countries brought there best? Like the 1981 Canada Cup? Try actually beating Canada's best before talking a bunch of nonsense next time. Only some 35 years in the making I am sure one day though don't worry!

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Best on best or not, it's still Olympics.

I am extremely happy for Pav and I fully understand why he values Olympic Gold more than any other trophy he's won.

Reactions: Vladnyc

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
When was the last time Russia beat Canada when the two countries brought there best? Like the 1981 Canada Cup? Try actually beating Canada's best before talking a bunch of nonsense next time. Only some 35 years in the making I am sure one day though don't worry!

Canada should have brought their best, then maybe all the f***ing whining by Canadians would be about something else. Hardly Russia's fault a Canadian-American hockey league ****blocked Canada, America and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad