Olympics: Datsyuk says this medal means more than the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Canada should have brought their best, then maybe all the ****ing whining by Canadians would be about something else. Hardly Russia's fault a Canadian-American hockey league ****blocked Canada, America and everyone else.
You do realize the NHL is a business right? It has absolutely nothing to with international hockey lol. Until you knock off Canada in a best on best, you have absolutely nothing to talk about. Get in line.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I'm not claiming every team was hurt equally, I'm claiming Russia was hurt the most, which is backed by the seasons the players they were denied are having in the NHL. If the NHL went Canada and the US could well have benefited more due to having Babcock or Laviolette as a coach vs the moron Russia keeps trotting out, but Russia was denied the best actual talent.

It's obvious you're beyond insecure by dwelling on Datsyuk's sentiments shared with fellow Russians, and it's hilarious too. Please spew some more moronic **** for us to laugh at, Canadians may not be good for beating Germany and such but at least they're good for that after every single tournament they don't win. Maybe accuse Datsyuk of being a despot or some ****, that would be amazing.

How does that make any logical sense? I'm genuinely curious to understand your thought process. The Russians were still able to trot out a respectable team without NHL players. No other team had players like Kovalchuk, Datsyuk and Gusev on their rosters. Russia absolutely benefitted the MOST from the NHL not going to the Olympics because of their back-up options.

This was a glorified Spengler cup. Congrats on the gold medal*.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
What a joke. You win a medal where NHL players aren't allowed to participate and claim it means more than a SC?

Perception is reality I guess.....

I've learned a lot from reading these boards. A month ago I would have agreed with Datsyuk, but now I realize how idiotic his statement is. The Olympic gold medal used to mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. Only gold medals won between 1998 and 2014 should be recognized. All others need an asterisk next to them.

We know better than Pavel Datsyuk about what he should be proud of.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Just as much gold in the 2018 medals as the 2010 ones

Fun fact, that amount is vert little. Bronze Medals are made with like 97% copper 3% other stuff including nickel. Silver Medals are made from sterling silver which is .925 fine, and gold medals are made by taking a silver medal and plating it in about 6 grams of gold which is still worth 250 dollars, with the silver cost in those medals being worth around $275 in melt.

I've learned a lot from reading these boards. A month ago I would have agreed with Datsyuk, but now I realize how idiotic his statement is. The Olympic gold medal used to mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. Only gold medals won between 1998 and 2014 should be recognized. All others need an asterisk next to them.

We know better than Pavel Datsyuk about what he should be proud of.

Well its funny, because The USSR used to dominate the olympic tournament because only amateurs could play so they would send some of the best players in the world that were "army officers".

Last edited:

member 297479

It is sad to read some of the belittling comments on here. It's understandable that people were dissapointed about NHL players not going, but it's even more dissapointing to read how people here are reacting to Datsyuk's comment. If you really didn't care about these Olympics why even bother to come here to comment.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
You do realize the NHL is a business right? It has absolutely nothing to with international hockey lol. Until you knock off Canada in a best on best, you have absolutely nothing to talk about. Get in line.

It's all the salty canadians doing the talking lol, just like every time someone else wins any tournament.

Russia beat the best the rest were able to muster, they have no reason to second guess themselves because your stupid business that has "nothing to do with international hockey" handcuffed your team (and them even moreso). What were they supposed to do, send special forces to abduct Crosby and force him to play the tournament? lol

I guess people aren't allowed to celebrate things because NHL did stuff and we all know Canaduh and da NHL are da center of da world.

Reactions: Vladnyc

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Apparently Canada only cares now if they have a stacked NHL roster of superstars.

Until then, the Olympics are invalid.

> Unless you beat us best on best you're not allowed to celebrate winning a gold medal haha

> Haha we're never sending our best again, sucks for you, Wacanaduh forever!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's all the salty canadians doing the talking lol, just like every time someone else wins any tournament.

Russia beat the best the rest were able to muster, they have no reason to second guess themselves because your stupid business that has "nothing to do with international hockey" handcuffed your team (and them even moreso). What were they supposed to do, send special forces to abduct Crosby and force him to play the tournament? lol

I guess people aren't allowed to celebrate things because NHL did stuff and we all know Canaduh and da NHL are da center of da world.
I didn't say anything about not celebrating it lol I do not care what people celebrate. But if anyone thinks this actually means anything in regards to which nation is above and stands internationally Canada has still yet to be beaten when the top players show up. That is a fact plain and simple. I was responding to you going on about how Russia was hurt more by the NHL not going then Canada which is absolutely laughable.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I didn't say anything about not celebrating it lol I do not care what people celebrate. But if anyone thinks this actually means anything in regards to which nation is above and stands internationally Canada has still yet to be beaten when the top players show up. That is a fact plain and simple. I was responding to you going on about how Russia was hurt more by the NHL not going then Canada which is absolutely laughable.

Yeah no if Canada beat Germany and then beat Russia in the finals this would be pumped as Canada's Miracle on Ice and greatest Canadian victory of all time, we'd never hear the end of it.

But since Russia won it's a shitty Spegler cup how dare it mean anything to you.

Your argument is with this year's statistically backed level of play by top Russian NHLers vs top Canadian NHLers, not with me.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah no if Canada beat Germany and then beat Russia in the finals this would be pumped as Canada's Miracle on Ice and greatest Canadian victory of all time, we'd never hear the end of it.

But since Russia won it's a ****ty Spegler cup how dare it mean anything to you.

Your argument is with this year's statistically backed level of play by top Russian NHLers vs top Canadian NHLers, not with me.
Trust me....If Canada had of won it would have been a cool story. It wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar compared to when the NHL player's are there and win. I mean you can act like this attitude changed because Canada lost...but it didn't. It was lightly followed and we obviously hoped the team won but there wasn't even close to the same emotional attachment to the result....because at the end of the day while yes the Gold Medal is obviously a big achievement it really doesn't affect Canada's place in hockey. The meltdown in Turin that was big. This is nothing. As for the statistically better Russian players....Canada has toyed with this generation of Russians for years now. Until Russia actually beats Canada they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Trust me....If Canada had of won it would have been a cool story. It wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar compared to when the NHL player's are there and win. I mean you can act like this attitude changed because Canada lost...but it didn't. It was lightly followed and we obviously hoped the team won but there wasn't even close to the same emotional attachment to the result....because at the end of the day while yes the Gold Medal is obviously a big achievement it really doesn't affect Canada's place in hockey. The meltdown in Turin that was big. This is nothing. As for the statistically better Russian players....Canada has toyed with this generation of Russians for years now. Until Russia actually beats Canada they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

No one in Russia cares about getting the benefit of the doubt from Canadians when Canadians are the ones stopping it from being best on best, that's the whole point. That would be like Russia holding out Ovechkin the last 2 Olympics and saying they don't care about Canadian wins because they were without their best player. I'm sure plenty of Russians would jump on that excuse but Canadians would care less.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No one in Russia cares about getting the benefit of the doubt from Canadians when Canadians are the ones stopping it from being best on best, that's the whole point. That would be like Russia holding out Ovechkin the last 2 Olympics and saying they don't care about Canadian wins because they were without their best player. I'm sure plenty of Russians would jump on that excuse but Canadians would care less.
You do realize the NHL isn't Canadian right? If this was up to the players, Hockey Canada, really anyone except for the NHL owners then NHL players go. I really don't get how you come to the conclusion that Canadians stopped Canada from sending there best? Some ridiculous jump in logic?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't know why this is even news. I've been following the NHL for as long as I can remember and it's no secret that most players outside of NA dream of winning gold for their Country. North American kids play for the Stanley Cup in their driveways when the rest of the world plays for gold. Too each their own.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Under the impression that OAR players will rightfully feel proud of their gold and that this tournament is a really bad metric for evaluating which country produces the best talent and isn't particularly impressive accolimpshent compared to other achievements in high level hockey

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Are you serious here?

Canada didn't stop the NHL from coming to this olympics.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For the record this isn't a new statement out of Pavel, he said it when he was an active player in the NHL.

Datsyuk cares a ton about representing Russia and giving back to Russian hockey. Congratulations to him, I am happy for him. He didn't leave in the best way so I am at least glad he got the payout on what we thought was a part of that decision and got his Gold medal and to give back to the KHL for a couple years.

We all know the circumstances and some can yell about that, but we have no idea how it would play out. Spent years watching this board explain away every lost WJC for Canada as but their NHL players are gone. Then during the last lockout with everyone available guess what happened. You only know how things did play out and given the circumstances this team beat the other teams that came, good on them.

Reactions: Jon Riley

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Good on Dats. Glad he accomplished one of his set goals. A gold and two Cup wins....a hockey career is complete with the pairing.

lots of Salty fellow Canadians on here, kind of embarrassing.

Reactions: Vladnyc

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I love Russian hockey, but it's been in a bad place for a long time. Russia could barely win with all the odds in their favour. Don't think Russia would've even got a medal if this was best on best. Canada, Sweden, and USA have much more well rounded teams. I mean the Russians have taken the likes of Belov or Grebeshkov as top 4 defensemen in best on best tournaments. These are dudes that couldn't crack the Oilers. Other teams have Norris trophy winners sitting in the press box while Russia repeatedly went with poor quality KHL options in best on best tournaments.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Recency bias, am I right?

Anyway, good for the OAR, I'm sure every little boy dreams of winning an Olympic medal under a generic banner for their sanctioned country. But at the same time, it's kind of like if the Stanley Cup was awarded to an AHL team during a lockout year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad