Injury Report: Datsyuk Out 4-5 Weeks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
That's because they had a great start and could afford to dip mid season and make a run at the end. Basically, if the Red Wings are out of the playoff race by Thanksgiving they'll likely not make it. Missing Datsyuk for potentially the first 10 games is rather large, IMO. You're also assuming guys like Tatar, Nyquist, and Sheahan don't have slumps and actually elevate their performance in year two.

If the Flyers made the playoffs after their start last year, anyone can rebound from a bad first month

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I hope he doesn't experience any set backs with Physical therapy like I have. I had the same injury occur 2 1/2 weeks ago in beer league. It is painful, but I am sure the DRW medical staff is better than my doctor and the PT I can afford. Let's hope he heals up and is ready to lead the charge.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
That's because they had a great start and could afford to dip mid season and make a run at the end. Basically, if the Red Wings are out of the playoff race by Thanksgiving they'll likely not make it. Missing Datsyuk for potentially the first 10 games is rather large, IMO. You're also assuming guys like Tatar, Nyquist, and Sheahan don't have slumps and actually elevate their performance in year two.

I think it's possible that one or two of our young guys regress or stagnate, but I highly doubt that as a whole, our group of youngsters won't improve. Personally, I'm expecting big improvements from DeKeyser, Smith, and Tatar. It'll be hard for Nyquist to beat out his last season so I'd be fine with him stagnating, but perhaps improving his overall game. Sheahan and Jurco are bigger question marks for me. I could see them either struggling, maintaining, or improving. I think as a whole though, it's unlikely that the majority of our youngsters will regress.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive
Datsyuk said he feels "much better" and movement in shoulder is good 3 days after suffering separation. He'll be skating alone right away.

Baby steps, baby steps.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Pens fan here in peace. Get well soon, Pavel - you are a treat to watch and this game needs you.

Funny, I was talking to a blackhawks fan today and he said the same thing. In fact he said "it's a better league when Pavel is playing"

I've been a fan for over 40 years and can honestly say Pavel is the most entertaining player I've ever seen. A true magician on ice

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
This is what he will be at this point in his career, Z as well. Just goes to re-affirm what an utter disaster Holland is that the Euro twins will only have one cup together because Kenneth stood by idle for so many years....

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
This is what he will be at this point in his career, Z as well. Just goes to re-affirm what an utter disaster Holland is that the Euro twins will only have one cup together because Kenneth stood by idle for so many years....

We're very fortunate that we have your crystal ball at our disposal.

He should have had two Cups, period. Detroit wins 09 9 times out of 10, even with the injuries.

For an utter disaster, they were successful. An utter disaster would be winning no Cups, never being in contention, or simply becoming a lottery team.

But carry on.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
So do we have indications that Helm stays in the top six while Pavel is out? It seems clear that the top line is set to start as Z, Nyquist, and Franzen, but I don't think Babcock will have much confidence in a Helm, Weiss, Tatar scoring line..

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So do we have indications that Helm stays in the top six while Pavel is out? It seems clear that the top line is set to start as Z, Nyquist, and Franzen, but I don't think Babcock will have much confidence in a Helm, Weiss, Tatar scoring line..

Are there any better options? We can half-jokingly say Cleary, but I don't think he counts. Maybe slot in Jurco/Sheahan for some of those spots, maybe even Abby, who by most accounts is better this season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

From pre-season and training camp, it seems like

1- Franzen-Z-Nyquist
2- Abby-Weiss-X
3- Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
4- Miller-Andy/Glenny-Cleary

Helm is not playing on that 2nd line currently, but I imagine when healthy he slots in where the X is?

I think Nosek may be making a case to take a spot somewhere, but not sure where that would be.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
From pre-season and training camp, it seems like

1- Franzen-Z-Nyquist
2- Abby-Weiss-X
3- Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
4- Miller-Andy/Glenny-Cleary

Helm is not playing on that 2nd line currently, but I imagine when healthy he slots in where the X is?

I think Nosek may be making a case to take a spot somewhere, but not sure where that would be.

I hope to god Babs has the sense to either swap Abby and Tatar as you have it or give the "3rd line" second line minutes. A line that is 2/3 of Weiss and Abby with some other pretender on the line like Pulks, Nosek, Cleary, or Helm should not be getting top 6 minutes.

Also, because I know someone will take issue with me calling guys like Nosek and Pulkkinen pretenders, that doesn't mean I don't think they can be solid 2nd line contributors someday. But they aren't yet. And they certainly woudn't be in an ideal situation to display their skill alongside the likes of Abby and Weiss.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope to god Babs has the sense to either swap Abby and Tatar as you have it or give the "3rd line" second line minutes. A line that is 2/3 of Weiss and Abby with some other pretender on the line like Pulks, Nosek, Cleary, or Helm should not be getting top 6 minutes.

Also, because I know someone will take issue with me calling guys like Nosek and Pulkkinen pretenders, that doesn't mean I don't think they can be solid 2nd line contributors someday. But they aren't yet. And they certainly woudn't be in an ideal situation to display their skill alongside the likes of Abby and Weiss.

I agree I think that 2nd line would get abused quite often, even if you swapped a kid (other than Mantha) for Helm.

I think Datsyuk going down really through a wrench in the line combos, not sure where Helm goes when he comes back.

I'd like to see this maybe

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Weiss-Sheahan
Nosek-Helm-Jurco
Miller-Glenny-Abby

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Based on what he did last year with Datsyuk out, it could look like this:

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Abby-Helm-Glendening
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Weiss-Nosek

3rd and 4th lines get lots of o zone starts against weaker lines while Helm's line gets lots of d zone starts and plays against the other team's 2nd line. Minutes at even strength are roughly equal between 2nd and 4th line with a few minute differential.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'd probably go:

Abby-Z-Nyquist
Helm-Weiss-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Anyone but Cleary

Maybe switch Franzen and Abby.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Dats could be ready by October 9, that's 12 days if he's feeling better already that is a good sign. If so then as Babcock planned for the 1st/2nd line-

Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Miller- Weiss- Andersson

Yes I would put Weiss on the 4th line. He's done nothing to prove he has an actual responsibility on this team, he can go ahead an compete for a spot with Glendening who I am liking better ATM. If the Franzen line is limp and dead then that could be juggled with the 3rd to inject some life and give Gus some different looks.

Helm with Pavel and Tats flipped my lid that 1st game. It's fun, it's young, it's hip baby. Hip may not win championships but it sells a lot of tickets (and beer:)) I'm all for it. If Cleary is in opening night line-up and Weiss is higher up than he deserves I will call BS.

Tonight's game I hope can give us clearer view of what the Red Wings should be planning.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
We're very fortunate that we have your crystal ball at our disposal.

He should have had two Cups, period. Detroit wins 09 9 times out of 10, even with the injuries.

For an utter disaster, they were successful. An utter disaster would be winning no Cups, never being in contention, or simply becoming a lottery team.

But carry on.

and what did he post 09' to get back?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Dats could be ready by October 9, that's 12 days if he's feeling better already that is a good sign. If so then as Babcock planned for the 1st/2nd line-

Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Miller- Weiss- Andersson

Yes I would put Weiss on the 4th line. He's done nothing to prove he has an actual responsibility on this team, he can go ahead an compete for a spot with Glendening who I am liking better ATM. If the Franzen line is limp and dead then that could be juggled with the 3rd to inject some life and give Gus some different looks.

Helm with Pavel and Tats flipped my lid that 1st game. It's fun, it's young, it's hip baby. Hip may not win championships but it sells a lot of tickets (and beer:)) I'm all for it. If Cleary is in opening night line-up and Weiss is higher up than he deserves I will call BS.

Tonight's game I hope can give us clearer view of what the Red Wings should be planning.

I respect your opinion but you absolutely cannot have a 5 million dollar player with a nmc signed to be a 2nd line center on the 4th line. If he cannot hack it or stay healthy this year he has to be bought out. And honestly he ain't gonna produce with 4th line hacks so put him with our tweener kid talents (jurco and puks if tats is top 6 since Mantha is hurt) or Nyquist and Franzen and if he cannot live up to expectations get him the **** outta here.

Sadly a NMC was given so we will have to eat a buyout on him but maybe next year Nosek proves he is ready for 3rd line center duty and Sheahan can progress via d and face off % to just move him up with Franzen and Nyquist.

Bottom line if he can't hack it he needs to gtfo. But I am wiling to give him a year to prove he can still be a 40-50 point center but if he can't he has got to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad