Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

La Bamba

Aug 23, 2009
The only way Nurse is gone is if they bring back compliance buyouts. Other than that, don't get your hopes up lol, you'll only disappoint yourself

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I have to vent about Nurse for a second. I’m just tired of it.

He has to f***ing go.

People saying he just needs a better partner.. what? What kind of partner? We’ve given him many different partners with different playstyles.

He did well in the shortened season with Barrie, that’s pretty much it. After the shortened season suddenly the Barrie chemistry was completely gone. Similar thing happened with Ceci, good for a bit and then it all crumbles away.

So maybe he needs defensive dman as a partner, even though Nurse should be more than capable of being a steady dman himself. Well, he got plenty of time with Larsson and that pairing was trash.

Most importantly he was trash with Bouchard. You’ve got a 34/35 year old Ekholm, Nurse has all the tools Ekholm has, yet it is a disaster pairing whenever it’s tried.

Nurse for whatever reason doesn’t get it. Maybe it’s just between the ears, he just doesn’t have the IQ.

I think he needs a change of scenery to snap out of it, get serious about his game. I think the 9.25 went to his head, he thinks he’s better than he is. For his own good and most importantly, the Oilers own good, move this f***ing guy ASAP.
His low IQ (on defence) is what I've been saying on here since about 2018. Unfortunately, barring around a 40-game stretch during the (already short) 2021 season, Nurse's hockey IQ has not improved.

"Move this f***ing guy ASAP" is a nice idea, but in reality his contract is impossible to move without taking a massive retention-Cap-hit, which defeats the Cap-clearing point of getting rid of him.
I think overall he was better this year than in the past...
I actually thought he was worse this season than 2021-22 or 2022-23. This season he was +3, after a +26 the year prior, and his goals and points were both down, too.

I"ve said this before and I know it sounds crazy (and is), but I actually think Nurse would be most beneficial to the team as a forward, not a D-man. His defensive IQ is brutal, but his offensive IQ is pretty high. He's a very good passer within the offensive zone and he sees the plays developing well. (His shot is mostly a muffin, but he's not afraid to use it and he does get the odd goal.)

He would be a great third-line center... if he could take face-offs.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Aug 23, 2009
His low IQ (on defence) is what I've been saying on here since about 2018. Unfortunately, barring around a 40-game stretch during the (already short) 2021 season, Nurse's hockey IQ has not improved.

"Move this f***ing guy ASAP" is a nice idea, but in reality his contract is impossible to move without taking a massive retention-Cap-hit, which defeats the Cap-clearing point of getting rid of him.

I actually thought he was worse this season than 2021-22 or 2022-23. This season he was +3, after a +26 the year prior, and his goals and points were both down, too.

I"ve said this before and I know it sounds crazy (and is), but I actually think Nurse would be most beneficial to the team as a forward, not a D-man. His defensive IQ is brutal, but his offensive IQ is pretty high. He's a very good passer within the offensive zone and he sees the plays developing well. (His shot is mostly a muffin, but he's not afraid to use it and he does get the odd goal.)

He would be a great third-line center... if he could take face-offs.
He couldn’t possibly be worse as a LWer lol… time to pull a Brent Burns/reverse Byfuglien

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I had such high hopes for Nurse, he has shown promise but the stupidity has over run and potential he ever had. Stuck with him and can only hope somehow some way he plays better

Reactions: McDoused

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If he rwally is a #1 Dman, then he would be a high demand on the trademarket.

And yes, I would do a reverse Byfuglien. He could be a high energy, forechecking forward. Oilers should seriously consider this.

Nuge McDavid Hyman
Skinner Leon Arvidsson
Nurse Henrique Kane/Lavoie
Janmark Holloway Brown

Ekholm Bouch
Broberg ???
Kulak Stecher

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
i hate this anchor of a dman. That contract was terrible when it was signed and now it’s a top 3 worst contract in the NHL. That 9.25 could get us 2 top 4 dmen who are both better than nurse. really hope this goof figures it out this offseason somehow or I’m scared he’s gonna cost this team a cup in this window they have right now

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
The hope is he has a half decent season and you can unload him prior to the 2025/26 season. There's no way you can keep him around when Bouch and Drai's extensions kick in without gutting the rest of the roster.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Im really on the idea of making Nurse a 4th line nasty grinder who can skate. He could replace McLeods role.

A 4th line of Nurse Hamblin Kane
Would be something.
the 16 million dollar grinderline.
But i would say line 3.a and line 3.b

Janmark Hen-Q Brown as a defensive line, and Nurse Hamblin Kane as a mayhem line.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Not taking the fancy stats into consideration, if Nurse can get a good transportator of the puck on his pairing, then top 40 points for the third time in his career while being a defenseman well into the +20s, I would be OK with that. If he can do that year after year, fantastic.

Everything comes down to finding the perfect partner for Nurse. It isn't a babysitter situation, it's finding the right mix of skills on the pairing and the right combination of players on the team.

Nurse working on his gap control and working on the zone positioning aspect of the game while having a partner naturally gifted at puck retrievals and clean zone exits might make for an enviable second pairing.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not taking the fancy stats into consideration, if Nurse can get a good transportator of the puck on his pairing, then top 40 points for the third time in his career while being a defenseman well into the +20s, I would be OK with that. If he can do that year after year, fantastic.

Everything comes down to finding the perfect partner for Nurse. It isn't a babysitter situation, it's finding the right mix of skills on the pairing and the right combination of players on the team.

Nurse working on his gap control and working on the zone positioning aspect of the game while having a partner naturally gifted at puck retrievals and clean zone exits might make for an enviable second pairing.
I agree with this, and it was very apparent in the playoffs once Nurse got to play away from Ceci. Also, imo Ceci is a very good player but like you say, it's about how the skillsets fit with each other. Logically Nurse and Ceci should fit since their differences fit each other. Nurse is a better skater and more aggressive and a gambler. Ceci is slower but more conservative. But, it turns out that Nurse plays better with players more like him in terms of skating and puck moving.

I still think it should be a right shot player but I'd be happy with Broberg there. Both him and Kulak are better suited to the left imo

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
Nurse working on his gap control and working on the zone positioning aspect of the game while having a partner naturally gifted atpuck retrievals and clean zone exits might make for an enviable second pairing.

Yeah... is there any information to suggest that Nurse does anything like that, though?

There's never been any indication that his physical fitness and work ethic are anything but excellent, but in terms of working on his game and addressing specific weaknesses? I really doubt it. Otherwise he wouldn't still be making the same predictable, brain-dead plays he's been making the last ten years.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Yeah... is there any information to suggest that Nurse does anything like that, though?

There's never been any indication that his physical fitness and work ethic are anything but excellent, but in terms of working on his game and addressing specific weaknesses? I really doubt it. Otherwise he wouldn't still be making the same predictable, brain-dead plays he's been making the last ten years.
I just don't think Nurse has the processor to improve all that much no matter how hard he works on his game.

If you can't think the game at the speed it's played, your improvement over time is going to be marginal at best.

Reactions: guymez

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
I just don't think Nurse has the processor to improve all that much no matter how hard he works on his game.

If you can't think the game at the speed it's played, your improvement over time is going to be marginal at best.

I think you're right on this but I also think that he could improve on certain things like gap control (he has the physical skills to close quickly and effectively) and how to play a two-on-one in a way that doesnt involve immediately belly-flopping onto the ice. I dont think those items are intrinsically tied to hockey IQ. I think they can be improved upon just by being willing to sit and watch some tape and then some practice.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think you're right on this but I also think that he could improve on certain things like gap control (he has the physical skills to close quickly and effectively) and how to play a two-on-one in a way that doesnt involve immediately belly-flopping onto the ice. I dont think those items are intrinsically tied to hockey IQ. I think they can be improved upon just by being willing to sit and watch some tape and then some practice.

I'd have those as IQ plays because in both instances you have to make a read before you make the play.

For both plays within about a millisecond you have to process where the attacker (or attackers) are on the ice, which way they shoot, how much back pressure the back checking forward is providing, where your D partner is, and how close you are to your own net and then immediately make the right play while still in position to do so.

I think he flops on 2 on 1's because he can't make these reads in time, so laying down is the default "hope this works" option which looks a lot better than doing nothing. Similarly on his shit gaps, if he can't make the reads in time then before he knows it he's probably too deep and the lane for the attacker to make a play is already there.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A mean physical beast who's trying to be a finesse player. He forgot his roots. Either he forgot or he got coached to become someone he's not

Reactions: Faelko and K1984

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
has there been any inkling that the team does not consider him a core piece? did knoblauch really demote him or would he still consider him a core piece along with the players?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
has there been any inkling that the team does not consider him a core piece? did knoblauch really demote him or would he still consider him a core piece along with the players?

Knoblauch was the first coach to actually reduce his minutes and even park him for stretches when he has been in disaster mode.

I don't think that the view of him as a core piece has changed too much, but it is refreshing that we have a coach that recognizes when he sucks and adjusts accordingly.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Its about deployment, not the partner. Trotting him out in highly defensive situations with largely third and fourth line checking forwards against another teams best players is not the same as playing top minutes with top forwards. Nurse is unlikely to get 40 points with this deployment. He only gets 40+ points if he and Ekholm switch deployments.

And Ceci is just not good enough to be on a shutdown pairing if his partner is not up to the task. He is not good enough to cover off for the mistakes. Largely the story of his career. When playing with good defensive partners, he did quite well. When paired with bad defensive partners it all fell apart. He does not need baby sitting, but he also cannot babysit. Middle of the road defensive D man. That just does not work with Nurse with this deployment.

I liked the Ekholm Ceci pairing that was done towards the end for the PK. I'd really love to see if they could co-exist as a shutdown pair, move Nurse with bouchard and take away the tough defensive assignments and give him more offensively gifted players. Play to his strengths, and arguably Ceci's as well. Something. Anything but that Nurse-Ceci pairing again.

Reactions: Aerrol and fuswald

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse just helped the team almost win a cup.
He is not an idiot likely a whole lot smarter than many posters.
Because he got paid does not make him selfish it makes him normal.
Having shit partners for his entire career does not make him look good it makes him trust his partner less and then compensates thinking they will error causing him to be out of position.
Nurse is here and is an Oiler so deserves to feel welcome not insulted.

Bunch of Charmin on here and I don't mean because they are soft.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Having shit partners for his entire career does not make him look good it makes him trust his partner less and then compensates thinking they will error causing him to be out of position.

Characterizing Nurse’s play this playoffs as “helping” the team almost win a Cup certainly is a unique opinion.

Because it’s essentially impossible to defend Nurse’s play this playoff with actual facts, I’m not surprised that you chose to default to insults and flaming.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

How do you watch the oilers and legitimately come to this conclusion?

The fact that people watch almost every single oilers game and come to the conclusion that he’s only bad because of his partners is just crazy.

I guess it’s out of his own control to be able to make a 10 foot pass. Or break up a cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad