Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Another game where Nurses pair did everything they could to lose the game. While Broberg definitely made some of his own mistakes, you can distinctively see how much Nurse hurts his partners

ANOTHER puck coming around the net with nothing but daylight, he reverses it for no resson back into a covered Broberg. That kicked off one of Fla most dominant cycles and chances.
Not to mention countless more poor passes to Broberg that left him scrambling to get pucks w/ pressure all over him

Nurse is one of the worst dmen in the NHL. That's not an exaggeration.
That reverse was absolutely mind boggling.
He was a disaster last night and he's not good enough for the contract, but all they need is "just enough" for, hopefully, 2 more games. He won't be a world beater, but just good enough to help this team over is all they need.
We need guys like Nurse to not give away goals in Game 6 and hopefully Game 7 if we get there. If the cats beat us make them earn the W instead of gift wrapping them goals.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Another game where Nurses pair did everything they could to lose the game. While Broberg definitely made some of his own mistakes, you can distinctively see how much Nurse hurts his partners

ANOTHER puck coming around the net with nothing but daylight, he reverses it for no resson back into a covered Broberg. That kicked off one of Fla most dominant cycles and chances.
Not to mention countless more poor passes to Broberg that left him scrambling to get pucks w/ pressure all over him

Nurse is one of the worst dmen in the NHL. That's not an exaggeration.
Yeah that play was nuts. Like, you're a good skater, just skate it out of there instead of throwing it back into the danger area.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think Broberg on his off side is no bueno from a development point.

Move Ceci and sign a discount Barrie in the summer to be a proper RD puck mover on the cheap with Nurse. Defensively this is likely to be less bad than the current pair as they can transition the puck better (or at least offensively better). Also gives more offensive options to other lines not always paired with Ekholm and Bouchard.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah that play was nuts. Like, you're a good skater, just skate it out of there instead of throwing it back into the danger area.

I somehow almost forgot about this.

Nothing but daylight ahead of him to basically skate it to the opposition blue line if not net, but he fires one blind through his legs backwards instead. When he gets in this mode he needs to be told he isn't allowed to make passes anymore in his own end. You skate it out, and if you can't skate it out you punt it or glass it. I don't even want to see a D to D pass from him when he's playing like this, it's that bad.

Reactions: guymez

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
That play was 1 of 12 I can think of in these playoffs w/ daylight ahead and room to skate. The needless reverses not recognizing, or caring about the pressure behind, well that's in the dozens these playoffs.

It's literally a default move at this point. I would love for someone in the Oilers org to compile a % of how many times he does this play to a clean and successful control for us. I bet it would be a staggering % that ends in chaos or possession for the other team

And to be more technical, I'd love to see how many of these he whiffs on and it becomes a terrible and bouncing pass for his partner. Again, I keep tabs on these and it's ALOT. For a defualt move, you'd think he should atleast execute it better

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Broberg on his off side is no bueno from a development point.

Move Ceci and sign a discount Barrie in the summer to be a proper RD puck mover on the cheap with Nurse. Defensively this is likely to be less bad than the current pair as they can transition the puck better (or at least offensively better). Also gives more offensive options to other lines not always paired with Ekholm and Bouchard.
Target Boquist from Columbus. He fits a lot of the need as Nurse's partner. Plus he can be a fill in for Bouchard on the PP if he ever gets injured.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Target Boquist from Columbus. He fits a lot of the need as Nurse's partner. Plus he can be a fill in for Bouchard on the PP if he ever gets injured.
That...that guy has never played a single full season in 5 years. I'd rather a free Barrie who'd likely be the same price and we know what we get.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
A win is a win and I hate to harp...but are you f'in kiddin me!!

A needless icing. Even the commentators gawked at the play.. tons of time and space. Getting walked by Montour.......but that late play where he had a full 5 seconds to make a play. He goes in the corner with 2 outlet paths, decides to freeze and let the forecheck come to him, then loses the puck

No way no how is this guy a top 4 dman. He's pure garbage. That play alone was some of the dumbest hockey you can witness. Almost as if he was being paid off by the other team to lose.

Just wow

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

A needless icing. Even the commentators gawked at the play.. tons of time and space. Getting walked by Montour.......but that late play where he had a full 5 seconds to make a play. He goes in the corner with 2 outlet paths, decides to freeze and let the forecheck come to him, then loses the puck

No way no how is this guy a top 4 dman. He's pure garbage. That play alone was some of the dumbest hockey you can witness. Almost as if he was being paid off by the other team to lose.

Just wow
Still so much hesitation in his game. Same as Ceci. Deer in the headlights.

edit: though I will say, freezing up and trying to eat the puck along the boards is at least the better play for him than trying to make a pass that he doesn't have the ability to make.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Still so much hesitation in his game. Same as Ceci. Deer in the headlights.

edit: though I will say, freezing up and trying to eat the puck along the boards is at least the better play for him than trying to make a pass that he doesn't have the ability to make.
No edit needed. He had all day to go left or right and skate it with 0 pressure. Not to mention his athleticism to do just that. He literally stood there and allowed the pressure to come to him for a cool 3 seconds

There is no excuse in this universe that absolves him of that decision. Guy gets paid 9mil and he chooses to gift the other team a chance that late in the game........like i said, logic dictates he has taken a payoff to help Florida win. The play was that bad that this narrative makes more sense than what he could possibly explain for his decision there

• Haha
Reactions: SavoieSeason

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
No edit needed. He had all day to go left or right and skate it with 0 pressure. Not to mention his athleticism to do just that. He literally stood there and allowed the pressure to come to him for a cool 3 seconds

There is no excuse in this universe that absolves him of that decision. Guy gets paid 9mil and he chooses to gift the other team a chance that late in the game........like i said, logic dictates he has taken a payoff to help Florida win. The play was that bad that this narrative makes more sense than what he could possibly explain for his decision there
your preoccupation on Darnell Nurse is pure psycopathy.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Just wow
Let's get that last win on Monday and then hopefully he takes a week or 2 off and then hits the reset button and comes back better next season.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Let's get that last win on Monday and then hopefully he takes a week or 2 off and then hits the reset button and comes back better next season.
I will post a pic of Darnell Nurse with the Stanley Cup over his head replying to bobby.

All that will matter is Darnell Nurse is a stanley cup winner.

"matthew benning, brandon davidson etc., all surpassed him on the depth chart"....

Last edited:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
oh yeah, a couple more bobby gems....Nail Yakupov was 2 steps ahead of any teammate, that is why they were out of sync, he was on another level above them....
Milan Lucic was a great player, and too good for Edmonton at the time.

Bobby, the flyers passed on Nurse, ...you might think it was a good move, the Edmonton Oilers think otherwise.
enjoy the 12th pick in the 2024 draft. Cheers

• Haha
Reactions: bobbythebrain

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A cup win would be amazing and how bad Nurse really is (and how appallingly bad his contract is) will be put on a shelf until next season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I will post a pic of Darnell Nurse with the Stanley Cup over his head replying to bobby.

All that will matter is Darnell Nurse is a stanley cup winner.

"matthew benning, brandon davidson etc., all surpassed him on the depth chart"....
This is such a dumb take. Troy Stetcher will hoist the cup as much as Nurse

The dudes ice time has been reduced in the playoffs. Hilarious that you see fit to call me out over him when even his own coaches have made adjustments to keep him off the ice

Like I said, that play last game where he stood like a pylon and then got stripped......pure dunce cap.

Your obsession to justify him as a top 4 player is pure physocpath. Even his coaches don't support you

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
oh yeah, a couple more bobby gems....Nail Yakupov was 2 steps ahead of any teammate, that is why they were out of sync, he was on another level above them....
Milan Lucic was a great player, and too good for Edmonton at the time.

Bobby, the flyers passed on Nurse, ...you might think it was a good move, the Edmonton Oilers think otherwise.
enjoy the 12th pick in the 2024 draft. Cheers
Remember when you compared Nurse to Pronger. Nailed it bud

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This is such a dumb take. Troy Stetcher will hoist the cup as much as Nurse

The dudes ice time has been reduced in the playoffs. Hilarious that you see fit to call me out over him when even his own coaches have made adjustments to keep him off the ice

Like I said, that play last game where he stood like a pylon and then got stripped......pure dunce cap.

Your obsession to justify him as a top 4 player is pure physocpath. Even his coaches don't support you

Holy smokes. We are in the Stanley Cup finals heading to game 7 and you are this negative?

No one is saying Nurse is the perfect player. He' was clearly lacking confidence and making a lot of mistakes with Ceci. Like him or not he's still being asked to play top 4 minutes. When he's on his game he's a valuable piece to this team. Clearly his coaches and teammates do support him. We've seen them talk shit after he was called out earlier.

Their has been a lot of criticism of our media being so negative. The truth is that its not just the media. Fans continue to hate players and rag on them instead of seeing the potential and supporting guys when they have tough times in their careers.

I'll tell you what, this team clearly missed him in game 2 when he didn't play. The fact that he's still going out and playing through injury speaks a lot to his character. Happy to have this guy go to battle for us and hopefully he's figuring it out.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Holy smokes. We are in the Stanley Cup finals heading to game 7 and you are this negative?

No one is saying Nurse is the perfect player. He' was clearly lacking confidence and making a lot of mistakes with Ceci. Like him or not he's still being asked to play top 4 minutes. When he's on his game he's a valuable piece to this team. Clearly his coaches and teammates do support him. We've seen them talk shit after he was called out earlier.

Their has been a lot of criticism of our media being so negative. The truth is that its not just the media. Fans continue to hate players and rag on them instead of seeing the potential and supporting guys when they have tough times in their careers.

I'll tell you what, this team clearly missed him in game 2 when he didn't play. The fact that he's still going out and playing through injury speaks a lot to his character. Happy to have this guy go to battle for us and hopefully he's figuring it out.
dude wakes up mad, swinging at the fences.
He see Nurse around every corner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO if we win the cup we should really lay off of Darnell this offseason. He knows that he hasn't been at his best and that the fans are on him for it. He's not going anywhere with that contract of his. Give him the offseason to try and sort his game out and then see how he does next season before ripping on him. We just need him to be good enough not to cost us the cup.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
IMO if we win the cup we should really lay off of Darnell this offseason. He knows that he hasn't been at his best and that the fans are on him for it. He's not going anywhere with that contract of his. Give him the offseason to try and sort his game out and then see how he does next season before ripping on him. We just need him to be good enough not to cost us the cup.
Disagree. The focus in the offseason should be 1000% to try and offload his contract. The Oilers may win the cup in a game 7, but by no stretch has Darnell played a big part in that. He's been awful in 90% of his games. Eveen in the wins the #'s showed he gets caved

I said this many times, ppl tend to forget/absolve/ignore alot of things after win. Last game Darnell had 3 major giveways that kicked off major sequences for Fla to come back. The giveaways are not one offs, or whiffing, or a puck bounce. Basically some unforced error. They are plays he makes time and time again. Just cuz the other team didn't score doesn't mean it didn't happen

Not sure having Nurse on the team in another cup run is the best strategy. Can only outplay his mistakes for so long

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nurse is playing fine lately. 3 points and a +6 in his last 4 is hard to complain about considering those have been the most important games of the season.
Being on the ice when other players do good things is not playing fine. I can think of atleast 5 mindblowing bad giveaways he made in those games that Fla almost scored.

Not sure how anyone can say he playing"fine" when we witnessed that play at the end of last game. Just standing there and waiting a cool 3 seconds to allow the forecheck to come then get stripped instantly.... Paying a guy 9mil for that is just insane. The play was that bad. It wasn't unlucky or a bad read. It was a play he created

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad