Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
In 21 games he has been on ice for 27 goals against at even strength (20 games really).

He's now up to 4.6 GA/60.

He has to be hurt, but hurt to do this bad, he should be out of the lineup.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
How many teams next year are need of an overpaid dman? Maybe we can retain 2M…

f***ing worst dman in a looOOOoooNg time

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1718375287629.png

Lannes

May 5, 2024
In 21 games he has been on ice for 27 goals against at even strength (20 games really).

He's now up to 4.6 GA/60.

He has to be hurt, but hurt to do this bad, he should be out of the lineup.
Is it a brain injury? I don't know what else would explain the panic and terrible decisions over and over and over again.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't know how you move on from him but you have to. Unfortunately he doesn't elevate his game come playoff time. He actually seems to shrink. Sad but it is what it is at this point.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nurse's contract is buyout proof and he has a full NMC until 27-28 when he has a 10 team trade list so as of right now the only option is to work with it in place because I don't think he is going to accept a trade to any team that would have the space and willingness to take his contract.

Obviously he and Ceci don't work together. The hope has to be that you can find a partner that would allow him to succeed using the considerable skills he does have while mitigating his flaws. The problem is that such a player is not going to be easy to find. One possible option might be Dylan Demelo who is solid defensively but can also move the puck.

Now if disaster stuck and both Leon and McDavid move on, then things change. At that point I am sure he would be happy to move on and you have some options,

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If you can convince him to waive to Chicago I’d swap 1-1 with Jones. Might have to add a bit even but it’s that kind of trade that you’d have to make with another god awful deal coming back.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Nurse's contract is buyout proof and he has a full NMC until 27-28 when he has a 10 team trade list so as of right now the only option is to work with it in place because I don't think he is going to accept a trade to any team that would have the space and willingness to take his contract.

Obviously he and Ceci don't work together. The hope has to be that you can find a partner that would allow him to succeed using the considerable skills he does have while mitigating his flaws. The problem is that such a player is not going to be easy to find. One possible option might be Dylan Demelo who is solid defensively but can also move the puck.

Now if disaster stuck and both Leon and McDavid move on, then things change. At that point I am sure he would be happy to move on and you have some options,
I wouldn't be surprised if he would be willing to move on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you can convince him to waive to Chicago I’d swap 1-1 with Jones. Might have to add a bit even but it’s that kind of trade that you’d have to make with another god awful deal coming back.

Don't think the Jones brothers want to play in Canada, I'd do that in a heart beat otherwise though. Jones is a way better player, just on bad teams.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I've always thought he was moveable if the Oilers ate a couple million of his salary. Now I don't even think they could even at 50% retained. Nobody is touching this clown.

Reactions: Lannes

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Unless Nurse is playing with an elite dman who can save him... there's nobody you can trade for that can help carry him. Even Adam Larsson who is a damn good defensive dman couldn't find any chemistry with Nurse. Since his time here, I'm not sure Nurse has even found a partner that he works well with. He's a lost cause.

Lannes

May 5, 2024

That 'pass'... what the f*** is he thinking. Soft backhand right into two Panthers and then skates right past them, looking over his shoulder with mild interest to see if the goal light goes on.

That's not injury. That's not a bad read. I don't know what the f*** that is but at this point, if it came out that Nurse had a gambling problem and had been betting against the Oilers these whole playoffs, I would be like, 'yeah, that actually explains alot'.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That 'pass'... what the f*** is he thinking. Soft backhand right into two Panthers and then skates right past them, looking over his shoulder with mild interest to see if the goal light goes on.

That's not injury. That's not a bad read. I don't know what the f*** that is but at this point, if it came out that Nurse had a gambling problem and had been betting against the Oilers these whole playoffs, I would be like, 'yeah, that actually explains alot'.
100%
Just a terrible shift for Nurse. He compounds one mistake with another.

I have been talking about Nurse and his ineptitude defensively for so long now this acutally feels like piling on to me at this point.
Stanley Cup teams are not formed with $9.25M contracts for defensemen that are a liability.
Nurse is a liability and he has been for a log time now.

Reactions: TB12 and Lannes

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Someone mentioned here not sure if joking but it is likely the best option, move him up to the wing on the second or third line. He never will earn that contract now but Broberg will more than earn his so it comes close to evening out and mitigates a huge liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad