Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah his scoring dries up too. In the regular season he is a 40-point d-man but in the playoffs that takes a nose dive.

In fact, 2022 is the only playoff where Nurse has even scored a goal in his career (he had two).

I'm at my wit's end with this player. It seems like his mental game is just getting worse and worse, but it's also his inability to learn from mistakes. His hockey sense isn't good enough for him to improve, especially at this age. Both his plays on the goals the other night are the same mistake he's been making for years.
At this point- he is who he is. A 9.25M d man who needs to be babysat

Yeah, he immediately told the bench it was his fault and then screamed an expletive because he didn't think it was his fault?

There's a bazillion real things to shit on Nurse for right now. I don't get making up dumb shit to pile on.
What’s dumb shit? His century low +/-? Did you read what I wrote? Or even understand it? He thinks the extent of his mistake was the puck going through his legs. Not that his stick was in the air, not that he was facing the wrong way, not that he did t cover his man. His focus is the puck got by him.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What’s dumb shit? His century low +/-? Did you read what I wrote? Or even understand it? He thinks the extent of his mistake was the puck going through his legs. Not that his stick was in the air, not that he was facing the wrong way, not that he did t cover his man. His focus is the puck got by him.
What dumb shit? Read this post lol.

You apparently know every detail of what Nurse was thinking because he gave the media a short answer.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Maybe read what he wrote.
His answer to the media is not what you should base your argument on here. His reaction on the bench clearly showed he messed up. He definitely knows that goal was largely his fault by his actions despite how he stated it to the media

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
What dumb shit? Read this post lol.

You apparently know every detail of what Nurse was thinking because he gave the media a short answer.
Ironically, so do you. Century low +/-, but you’re right- he knows all the times he screws up and it never happens again

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think that ypou are making a valid point. How do we even know that he "just didnt want to share things with the media".

I mean good for him that he admitted it was his fault but does he even understand why the puck going through his legs was only a small part of his f**k up?

Considering that he makes the same mistakes over and over and over again that suggests that he just doesnt get it and therefore its more likely that he doesnt have the first clue about the entirety of what he really did wrong on that play.

You want to give him the benefit of the doubt but watching him over the years its becoming clear that Darnell is not exactly the brightest bulb.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Maybe. Or maybe he doesn’t recognize it’s a mistake and the lack of recognition is a reason why he has +/- not seen this century by a d man

What hurts is Zito interviewed with the Oilers but everything was dropped and processes ignored once Holland became available

If the Oilers do win a cup, I really hope people don't start calling Holland one of the greatest GMs in history or something stupid like that. If anything, he created an uphill battle for McDrai to get there.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
If the Oilers do win a cup, I really hope people don't start calling Holland one of the greatest GMs in history or something stupid like that. If anything, he created an uphill battle for McDrai to get there.
If the Oil win the cup I will let Holland take a shit on my front lawn and call me a pathetic loser. Don't care what they say about his legacy haha

Just win.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Because I got into a Facebook arguement on what nurses contract looks like on a buyout I’m gonna share this here
4F81FD8A-C07E-4AD1-8CFF-147F561B3B87.png

Unless you think Mcdavid and Draisaitl are gone in 2 years and the oilers are relocating while getting a new expansion team the Idea of buying out nurse is disgusting

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Darnell Nurse is the most overrated and overpaid d-man to ever play of the Edmonton Oilers.

Where's Sheldon Souray? I want to give him a hug and tell him he's no longer at the top of my shitlist.

Reactions: JaegerDice and dsi

Lannes

May 5, 2024
I really hope someone at some point puts together a highlight video of all of Nurse's giveaways, bad reads, mistakes and controller disconnect moments from this playoff run. That would really be something to see.

Reactions: thadd and dsi

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
At this point he is just hurting the team with dumb plays.
It's like spotting the team a goal every time he dresses.
It can be mitigated if he becomes a physical force, but that seems to have dried up.
Should be a healthy scratch next game, if anything he may ask for a trade out.

Reactions: dsi

Scema12

Oct 7, 2015
Its just brutal, him and ceci are costing us the series. It's disgusting, without their stupid errors in this and the first game we would of at least been tied or potentially won. You can't win with bob playing as good as he is and ceci and nurse giving up countless error after error.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really hope someone at some point puts together a highlight video of all of Nurse's giveaways, bad reads, mistakes and controller disconnect moments from this playoff run. That would really be something to see.
That will be so cringe to watch. I don't think I could sit through 1/20th of this video.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's a good Number #3 on an decent team

Wait, that's where he is playing right now, as he gift wraps teams goals and tries to set a new minus record for a playoff year :)

If Nurse is #3, he needs a partner that does 80% of the breakout plays for him. If you want him to stand on his own and have the most puck touches and succeed, 3rd pair tops it seems.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad