Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
You gotta wonder if he's hurt.

I know that ****ing on Nurse is what we do around here, and he has been terrible, but he usually isn't anywhere near this bad.

Not even with a torn hip flexor against a stacked Avs team was he this bad. Normal Darnell is a minute munching monster that joins the rush and produces 5-on-5 sprinkled in with relatively frequent brainfarts.

His minutes are way down and maybe that's just because he's kind of unplayable at this point, but maybe it's a bit of both where his ice time is limited because he's nursing something (pun intended, insert laugh track).

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I know that ****ing on Nurse is what we do around here, and he has been terrible, but he usually isn't anywhere near this bad.

Not even with a torn hip flexor against a stacked Avs team was he this bad. Normal Darnell is a minute munching monster that joins the rush and produces 5-on-5 sprinkled in with relatively frequent brainfarts.

His minutes are way down and maybe that's just because he's kind of unplayable at this point, but maybe it's a bit of both where his ice time is limited because he's nursing something (pun intended, insert laugh track).
I think that's mainly the problem there.

The only line on the team that can actually create a structured rush where it isn't just one guy skating down the wing and taking a shot is McDavid's line and Nurse has played just under 12% of his ice time with McDavid in the playoffs so far.

He's basically had all his success in the NHL playing an offensive role where he can make quick ups and join the rush, but now he's playing a pure shutdown role with almost no puck skill in front of him.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I think that's mainly the problem there.

The only line on the team that can actually create a structured rush where it isn't just one guy skating down the wing and taking a shot is McDavid's line and Nurse has played just under 12% of his ice time with McDavid in the playoffs so far.

He's basically had all his success in the NHL playing an offensive role where he can make quick ups and join the rush, but now he's playing a pure shutdown role with almost no puck skill in front of him.
To be fair (outside of the first period last night) Mcdavid has only been able to do just this, Fly down the wing and hope Hyman isn’t covered to bang in the rebound. All things considered 2/3 of our goals last night were shitty bounces that we’ve been on the other end of. The game really wasn’t that close. We sustained very little pressure and made Ottengers life easy.

On the topic of Nurse. I’ve been his biggest critic since before the ink was dry on this contract. Normally he’s a guy that will make the odd mistake on a game to game basis. During this playoff run he’s been borderline unplayable. I do think somewhere in there is a solid 4-5 guy who can eat 25 minutes a night. It’s the consistency with Darnell. One game you get that guy who could push for an Olympic spot, other games you get Griffen Reinhart.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

This is the third straight playoffs of him getting eaten alive and it's not like he was any better during the regular season.

Unfortunately the Oilers bought his career year hook, line, and sinker. But unless Nurse specifically requested to be put back with Ceci it's on the coach to make pairings that work.

Reactions: Vagabond

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

There has to be something there.

For a guy whose entire playstyle is built off an otherworldly combo of strength and speed, we haven't seen much of either for a long while.

He had a decent series vs. LA, but like McLeod and Skinner, the wheels have completely come off from there. Knob's tried to limit his minutes, but it's not enough.

Though if there is an injury there, then why the hell is he still being played with guy's that need their partners to do a majority of the heavy lifting?

Something's up with Stecher, fine (Rishaug mentioned on Got Yer Back he hasn't been practising (or even with the team?). But then play Broberg and let Kulak's (the only non-top pairing D having an outright good playoffs) pairing shoulder more responsibility.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Vinny
Broberg-Nurse/Stecher/Ceci

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
not sure what happened after the All-star break but the guy has completely lost his brain
He hasn't had a brain for years now. This is who he is and we need to stop gaslighting ourselves into thinking he's anything better than a #4.

The real frustrating thing is that the acquisition of Ekholm should've taken a lot of pressure off Nurse and here we are with him getting worse every year.

He hasn't had a + game since game 3 vs LA.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
This is the third straight playoffs of him getting eaten alive and it's not like he was any better during the regular season.

Unfortunately the Oilers bought his career year hook, line, and sinker. But unless Nurse specifically requested to be put back with Ceci it's on the coach to make pairings that work.
I mean this is just not true. He has always had his warts and yeah yeah the contract is bad blah blah blah.

He's never been this bad which is why you'd think something is up with his health.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can this guy be bought out? You truly have to consider it.
Nope, contract is buyout proof and untradeable not only because of the numbers but full NMC. The Oilers are stuck with this contract through the primes of McDrai, this will be Holland's legacy moreso than anything else, wasting the primes of two generational players in large part due to this contract.

Even if they win the Cup this season, it will be in spite of that giant mistake unless somehow Nurse magically became the driving force behind their Cup win.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Nurse has been bad every postseason the last 3 years but more noticeably so the last 2.

I have a theory as to why he's regressed the last few years. Just a hunch that he actually plays better with more minutes and now with Ekholm munching some of those minutes, he's struggling in a lesser role. He's always had his faults but he just seems to be getting worse all the time ever since Ekholm came over.
Obviously the team is better for having Ekholm but I wonder if Nurse, mentally, isn't handling the diminished role well as he's been the top guy on his team most of his career.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I mean this is just not true. He has always had his warts and yeah yeah the contract is bad blah blah blah.

He's never been this bad which is why you'd think something is up with his health.

he’s had one good half year

He’s been getting worse every year since.

The injury excuse is crazy honestly at this point in his career

Reactions: Vagabond and MikeK

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
he’s had one good half year

He’s been getting worse every year since.

The injury excuse is crazy honestly at this point in his career
I'm not saying he was great before; I'm saying he's worse than ever by a fair margin.

Of course, people are emotional right now so saying anything less than Nurse having been awful for years will get people riled up.

I'm happy you think he's doing alright by his standards, though. We need some positivity around here.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Torn flexor against the Avs? I think you mean against the Jets. That was like 4 years ago. Enough excuses for Nurse. He was never anything more than a #3 who people thinks he's a #1 because he has the physical tools to play 25 mins. Now he's been playing like he's a #5. With 2 kids, fatherhood is taking a toll on him. It's okay. I have 2 young kids too and it's hard. But seeing people constantly make excuses for Nurse dumb plays is baffling.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Torn flexor against the Avs? I think you mean against the Jets. That was like 4 years ago. Enough excuses for Nurse. He was never anything more than a #3 who people thinks he's a #1 because he has the physical tools to play 25 mins. Now he's been playing like he's a #5. With 2 kids, fatherhood is taking a toll on him. It's okay. I have 2 young kids too and it's hard. But seeing people constantly make excuses for Nurse dumb plays is baffling.
Nah it was 2022, the whole playoffs in fact. He was really good against the Jets as far as I remember.

But yeah, he was trending to be a 2/3 and Holland gave him #1 money.

Ever since he's been trending more toward 4/5 territory but at the moment he barely looks like a bottom-pairing guy.

That combined with him just not playing his game, skating hard and jumping into the play at all makes me think he's actually hurt.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Oh look. Another bad playoff year for Nurse and another mysterious injury claim.

He sucks. Pure and simple. He can't pass, has no vision and just rims it without looking.

Nurse is the poster boy for that "what's the definition of insanity " quote

• Haha
Reactions: frag2 and Canovin

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Buy this idiot out. We get cap relief next year and deal with the consequences later.

After that our window is basically closed anyways. No brainer for me......

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
His development slammed into a wall as soon as he signed a $74,000,000 deal.

Maybe that was actually just his peak. Not sure what to think about Nurse anymore. His passing isn't improving. He seems to be getting slower every season. He does not act like a vet that owns the ice and takes ridiculous and pointless penalties that hurt the team.

He's still just chasing the play a lot of the time and in a constant scramble to figure out what is happening. Might just be held back between the ears to further improve his defensive game. If he is losing a step, that is bad news because that was what his entire offensive game was based on.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
His development slammed into a wall as soon as he signed a $74,000,000 deal.

Maybe that was actually just his peak. Not sure what to think about Nurse anymore. His passing isn't improving. He seems to be getting slower every season. He does not act like a vet that owns the ice and takes ridiculous and pointless penalties that hurt the team.

He's still just chasing the play a lot of the time and in a constant scramble to figure out what is happening. Might just be held back between the ears to further improve his defensive game. If he is losing a step, that is bad news because that was what his entire offensive game was based on.
You'd think a vet GM would've learned the "Don't overpay players coming off career years" thing years ago but here we are. Nurse shot double his career sh% that year and Holland just assumed it was the norm going forward. The North division was a huge pile of shit that Nurse feasted on and no sooner than when he signed his extension did he return to his norm.

I said before the playoffs that this was the player I was going to key on and he's had an abysmal, MA Bergeron-esque playoffs. His contract is buyout proof (awesome job Ken) but I don't know how you bring this player back next year.

Reactions: oobga

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad