Value of: Dante Fabbro

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I don't believe it would be Joseph with his contract. But Kastelic + Brannstrom + 2nd seems like something to consider. Hynes would love Kastelic, probably. Brannstrom seems a little underwhelming and the Preds have quite a few smaller PMD-style D on the way, so he's not optimal either. Basically, this offer kind of scrapes past the minimum threshold to make it to the table for discussion, but I suspect somebody else would give us a "quality" piece in an offer that would ultimately beat this one.

Just for fun, the concept of including the Zaitsev dump as the "warm body" on RD, with dump incentives attached, might not be entirely out of the realm of consideration also. I think the Preds would ultimately balk at the extra year on his deal, but since his buyout only really hits hard the first year, if the incentive was sufficient it might not be totally impossible, given we'd have moved Fabbro's salary. :dunno:
I could see Zaitsev being included. But the plus wouldn’t be a 1st or one of our top prospects. Id replace Holden/Brann with Zaitsev and add a 2nd and mid prospect, though.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I could see Zaitsev being included. But the plus wouldn’t be a 1st or one of our top prospects. Id replace Holden/Brann with Zaitsev and add a 2nd and mid prospect, though.
Alright, I don't see the Preds paying out that kind of $$$ without getting a 1st. Well, to be fair, I don't see Poile paying out $$$ even for a 1st, really, although maybe hosting the draft could nudge him out of his usual ways. But certainly not for a mid-2nd though. :(

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Can't say that I would hate Fabbro as a solid 3rd pairing RHD in Detroit behind Seider and Hronek. He might be a tad too rich for Yzerman, as he's an RFA this summer with a qualifying offer of 2.4M.

I could there being a base for a trade around Bertuzzi and Fabbro.
Think he”ll likely sign a 2 year type deal at around $3 million. It would be the next contract after he’s matured more, that could be an issue.

I think Detroit would likely be happy if they could do a Bertuzzi for Fabbro deal. Obviously Nashville would do it with every intention of signing Bertuzzi, who would also be a great fit for them.

My only concern if I’m Detroit, is Nashville is pretty good at knowing when to cut ties with dmen.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
From Ottawa:
Zaitsev + 2nd ‘24 + 4th ‘24
1 of Ostapchuk or Boucher
1 of Thomson or Hamara

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
From Ottawa:
Zaitsev + 2nd ‘24 + 4th ‘24
1 of Ostapchuk or Boucher
1 of Thomson or Hamara
I'd put it on my whiteboard with offers to consider, anyway. But I'm less affected in terms of buying out Zaitsev than maybe the Preds would be. Zaitsev is more likely a total non-starter in real life, even if I suggested him for these fantasy purposes. Switching the 2nd to '23 would help. Would still be shopping for an offer that brings even a single higher quality asset and/or involves less of a dump (e.g. Holl from the Leafs).

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
I'd put it on my whiteboard with offers to consider, anyway. But I'm less affected in terms of buying out Zaitsev than maybe the Preds would be. Zaitsev is more likely a total non-starter in real life, even if I suggested him for these fantasy purposes. Switching the 2nd to '23 would help. Would still be shopping for an offer that brings even a single higher quality asset and/or involves less of a dump (e.g. Holl from the Leafs).
Id want Fabbro and cave easily to deleting Zaitsev and the 4th rounder. So…

2nd ‘24
1 of 2 forward prospects: Boucher (10th overall 2021) or Ostapchuk (39th overall 2021)
1 of 2 defence prospects: Thomson (19th overall 2019) or Hamara (3rd round 2022)

For

Fabbro

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Id want Fabbro and cave easily to deleting Zaitsev and the 4th rounder. So…

2nd ‘24
1 of 2 forward prospects: Boucher (10th overall 2021) or Ostapchuk (39th overall 2021)
1 of 2 defence prospects: Thomson (19th overall 2019) or Hamara (3rd round 2022)

For

Fabbro
I think that would make it more palatable to the Predators in real life, anyway. Although it's still just on the whiteboard, as opposed to being a quick handshake "Done!" Probably hinges mostly on the detailed scouting opinions of the players there. :thumbu:

Reactions: Armourboy

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
My only concern if I’m Detroit, is Nashville is pretty good at knowing when to cut ties with dmen.
That last part is 100% true, good call. If someone knows how to develop a competent d-core, it's Nashville. Mind giving some up to Detroit? :D

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
He is 24 and has recently hit the 200 game marker. The games played (in NHL) where teams believe a player “is what he is” and they believe they know “what he’s going to be”, unless a case can be made that suggests otherwise.

Fabbro really doesn’t have a case to be made in that regard. He does a lot of things well, just nothing very, very well.

That doesn’t mean he’s not going to continue getting better as he matures and enters his prime. He’s still likely going to end up a solid #4, and will have a nice, extended NHL career. He’s just not going to suddenly become some high scoring dman.

Teams like Vancouver, Columbus, Anaheim, Detroit, Ottawa, etc, should all be calling. Most so-called contenders likely already have a really solid player like him in their 2nd pairing, who’s already mature and experienced.

Boeser for Fabbro maybe? Bertuzzi for Fabbro?

Boeser would fit with Nashville’s history of grabbing guys when their value might not be at its highest, and the player ends up there for years. Bertuzzi would add a dimension to Nashville, making them harder to play against. Same scenario. They’d lock him up for years on a good deal and enjoy having him.

They’ll get a productive player for Fabbro right now. Just won’t be anything special, unless he’s part of a package for an elite type player. If they wait, and he hasn’t matured more (in an NHL sense) a year from now, they’ll be lucky to receive a 2nd round pick. Maybe less.

Nashville has always been good at selling high and buying low. If they don’t believe Fabbro will ever amount to more than your standard, dependable #4, try moving him to a team who thinks he can be more, or, like the teams I mentioned, who still need to solidify their blue line for years to come. Teams who might think he has a chance to be more than Nashville does, but who would also be comfortable with him being a solid #4 for the next 5-10 years.

A team who will send Nashville a productive player in return.

I don’t see any of the teams mentioned above being interested in Fabbro. Almost all of the teams mentioned are rebuilding. And the asking price is going to be high. Almost all of us have high second round picks which Nashville will want.

And I’ll speak on my Anaheim perspective. Anaheim has tons and tons of defenseman transitioning soon. One we have Zellweger likely making the team. Same with Mintyukov/Hinds and others. Fabbro doesn’t make sense with the defenseman that are coming in to the organization and Fabbro needs a new contract.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Olofsson might be a good start for a deal from the Sabres, but Preds fans on this thread mentioned that Hynes and Poille value size over everything. The Sabres don't have much to offer in that department in terms of players, then.

What type of draft pick would Nashville look for? The Sabres have a mid-1st or a 2nd around 40 (Philly).

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well, the Preds no longer have any Cap reasons to trade him.

But we did pick up 2 other RD in Barrie and Foote, so now we have 4.

Still comes down to how the front office sees him vs Hynes. We know Hynes would trade him for like a 4th round pick. Do Poile/Trotz agree with that? Honestly, we have no clue.

On the strength of his previous 3 years, I would still not trade him for a 1st. We don’t have other D ready to step up, Foote didn’t look like much, and I doubt Barrie is looked at as a longer term piece. So I would keep Fabbro and put it all on Hynes.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'd rather flip Foote or Barrie for a younger prospect or a pick. Fabbro won't be due much and he's highly probable to overplay his contract with a new coach that seems possible.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Obviously many Nashville fans thought Fabbro was gone at the last deadline. Fast forward to today and many Nashville fans think he is gone before the season starts.

Is there a team that is willing to offer a mid-pick/meh-prospect for him with the purpose of clearing cap?

Reactions: Fatass

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Obviously many Nashville fans thought Fabbro was gone at the last deadline. Fast forward to today and many Nashville fans think he is gone before the season starts.

Is there a team that is willing to offer a mid-pick/meh-prospect for him with the purpose of clearing cap?
I'd trade Jarnkrok + Niemela or Robertson for fabbro and tomasino from the leafs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

As a right shot defenseman who can play every day, you would think he would be relatively easy to move. I'd take him on Edmonton in a heartbeat if we had the cap space.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Would have to be a net loss of Fabbros salary on our part or it defeats the purpose. Calle is making 2 so it's a minimal trade in that area from Fabbro's salary.
That's fair, I don't think he'd be a fit with the Leafs in regards to a trade then. We would have to send salary and Nashville doesn't want to add salary.

Ad

Ad

Ad