Value of: Dante Fabbro

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Fabbro hasn't been great this year but also Hynes is a wizard at getting the absolute least out of the young guys so like he's definitely better than what he's shown. Preds should hold onto him but I could see Poile trading him for some old f*** tbh.

Same. I feel like Fabbro gets some unnecessary hate, he hasn't been amazing this year, but he also has positive traits and trading him now will probably bite us in the ass if the return isn't great and after the Tolvanen debacle I don't trust the FO in getting a good return.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not sure how the deal would work but something with Conor Garland might be of interest. Predators potentially have some cap issues this offseason, however.

Nashville Predators
UFAsRFAsProj. Cap Space
Cole SmithCody Glass12.8m
Mark JankowskiTanner Jeannot
Kevin LankinenThomas NovakRoster Size
Michael McCarronDante Fabbro14
Zachary SanfordAlexandre Carrier
Kiefer SherwoodMarkus Nurmi
Jimmy Huntington
John Leonard
Tomas Vomacka
Devin Cooley

So with Garland that would only leave around 7.85m to re-sign Jeannot, Carrier, and Glass while also filling out the rest of the roster. Maybe someone like Sissons or Trenin coming the other way?

Sissions & Fabbro for Garland & Another Asset?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Not sure how the deal would work but something with Conor Garland might be of interest. Predators potentially have some cap issues this offseason, however.

Nashville Predators
UFAsRFAsProj. Cap Space
Cole SmithCody Glass12.8m
Mark JankowskiTanner Jeannot
Kevin LankinenThomas NovakRoster Size
Michael McCarronDante Fabbro14
Zachary SanfordAlexandre Carrier
Kiefer SherwoodMarkus Nurmi
Jimmy Huntington
John Leonard
Tomas Vomacka
Devin Cooley

So with Garland that would only leave around 7.85m to re-sign Jeannot, Carrier, and Glass while also filling out the rest of the roster. Maybe someone like Sissons or Trenin coming the other way?

Sissions & Fabbro for Garland & Another Asset?
Hynes and poile have elevated grit and size to near fetish proportions. I dont see garland moving the needle at all

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Olofsson from Buffalo?
It's not going to be a small forward like Olofsson or the aforementioned Garland. It's just the mindset in Nashville right now. There are more than enough middle forwards on hand in general, and if we really needed another one there are deserving callups waiting in Milwaukee who could do as well and won't bring the same Cap issues with them.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Fabbro hasn't been great this year but also Hynes is a wizard at getting the absolute least out of the young guys so like he's definitely better than what he's shown. Preds should hold onto him but I could see Poile trading him for some old f*** tbh.
Fabbro essentially played like a guy heading for a $4M salary last year, providing the backup to Josi's roving ways. After he played so well paired with Josi, and Josi shot out all the lights scoring, it just seemed like a natural assumption he'd be back in that spot this year, and perhaps even continue working a little bit of offense into his own game from time to time.

But no, straight out of the gate, and despite the success he had last year, he was dropped out of the top-4, for no really apparent reason. The lack of confidence shown in him and his lowered role does seem to have affected his play, especially lately. Being on the bottom pair was probably not something he saw coming any more than any of the rest of us did. He's not playing very well atm, but he did step up pretty well while McDonagh was injured, yet it didn't earn him anything, he's right back in the doghouse.

To me, it's 100% a coaching issue, another case of a guy Hynes just doesn't like for some esoteric reason, despite the player doing just about everything right. Or at least not doing anything notably more wrong than most other players. Much like the Tolvanen case. So we get Roland McKeown playing in his spot tonight. That's not going to make the team any better, but it appears so far this season that Hynes truly doesn't see much difference between some of these AHL tweeners and younger guys who he doesn't like.

The Preds do have Cap "issues" for next season. Well, not huge ones. But fitting in raises to Jeannot, Carrier, and Fabbro was going to be very tight. And we wondered if it might come down at some point to a duel between Carrier and Fabbro to be an odd man out, just for Cap reasons. It appears that Fabbro will be the odd man out. And he probably wants out now too. He was looking for progression and a nice payday, and that's all off the rails now with how he has been handled. Almost as if by design.

But it does mean the Preds probably can't take any significant Cap back for him. A different change-of-scenery style of young cheap RD would fill the empty spot in the lineup. Possibly even just an old cheap one that brings whatever size or characteristics the team currently values. A prospect or draft pick would be a fallback option. Small players or players with higher salaries than Fabbro wouldn't be good fits.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Fabbro is being healthy scratched tonight and has had some trade rumors surrounding him. What does everyone think he's worth?
He is 24 and has recently hit the 200 game marker. The games played (in NHL) where teams believe a player “is what he is” and they believe they know “what he’s going to be”, unless a case can be made that suggests otherwise.

Fabbro really doesn’t have a case to be made in that regard. He does a lot of things well, just nothing very, very well.

That doesn’t mean he’s not going to continue getting better as he matures and enters his prime. He’s still likely going to end up a solid #4, and will have a nice, extended NHL career. He’s just not going to suddenly become some high scoring dman.

Teams like Vancouver, Columbus, Anaheim, Detroit, Ottawa, etc, should all be calling. Most so-called contenders likely already have a really solid player like him in their 2nd pairing, who’s already mature and experienced.

Boeser for Fabbro maybe? Bertuzzi for Fabbro?

Boeser would fit with Nashville’s history of grabbing guys when their value might not be at its highest, and the player ends up there for years. Bertuzzi would add a dimension to Nashville, making them harder to play against. Same scenario. They’d lock him up for years on a good deal and enjoy having him.

They’ll get a productive player for Fabbro right now. Just won’t be anything special, unless he’s part of a package for an elite type player. If they wait, and he hasn’t matured more (in an NHL sense) a year from now, they’ll be lucky to receive a 2nd round pick. Maybe less.

Nashville has always been good at selling high and buying low. If they don’t believe Fabbro will ever amount to more than your standard, dependable #4, try moving him to a team who thinks he can be more, or, like the teams I mentioned, who still need to solidify their blue line for years to come. Teams who might think he has a chance to be more than Nashville does, but who would also be comfortable with him being a solid #4 for the next 5-10 years.

A team who will send Nashville a productive player in return.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I do not think anybody should ever think of Fabbro as becoming more than a #3-4 guy. Being paired with Josi last year didn't make him a "top pairing" player or our "#2" by any means. It is just down to pairings and fits, but he should be considered a dependable and mobile "top-4" complementary player.

His "upside" depends on utilization. I wouldn't expect much more production than the 20-some points he got last year. Maybe in the right situation in his best year 35. But that's not his forte, and he's not likely to suddenly blossom into more than that. But at the same time if he's thought of as a 13-min bottom pair guy like he has been this year... well then he does have the "upside" to get back to being the 19-min top-4 guy he has already been in past years.

He's not flashy, he skates well, he plays responsibly and makes good outlet passes. He's not physical and won't ever be. He has normally been a smart positional player who covers well for his partner. That hasn't gone as well for him this season. But all in all, he's just a decent all-round jack of all trades type of defenseman. I think he has generally been lauded for leadership intangibles in his past, but I couldn't say that has ever been particularly apparent just from the fan perspective during his time with the Preds.

At 24 with 3 good seasons already under his belt before this one, and as an impending RFA at $2.4M, he should have pretty decent value, just not with any expectations of a massive upside to him. Just what he was last season would be good enough for most teams.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I’d like him on the Leafs. I think he could basically play the same role he did with Josi with Reilly as his partner.

Not sure what Preds need or if the Leafs even have the assets to make it happen.

Reilly - Fabbro
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - Brodie

Trade Holl for a pick. 2nd and 3rd pairings can be swapped, depending on who is playing better at any given time.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I’d like him on the Leafs. I think he could basically play the same role he did with Josi with Reilly as his partner.

Not sure what Preds need or if the Leafs even have the assets to make it happen.

Reilly - Fabbro
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - Brodie

Trade Holl for a pick. 2nd and 3rd pairings can be swapped, depending on who is playing better at any given time.
You mean add a 2nd rd pick to Holl to trade him right?

See Nemeth

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Reilly - Fabbro
Sandin - Liljegren
Gio - Brodie

I honestly think the Preds would cheerfully take Holl back in a Fabbro swap. He’s taller than Fabbro. We would need a stopgap on RD to replace Fabbro and Holl has no future salary impediment. Plus maybe he has a little of that “veteran tweener ” vibe that our coach loves.

Not as anything like the main component. But put in a good prospect or pick and we’d take Holl at non-negative value as a throw-in I suspect.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I honestly think the Preds would cheerfully take Holl back in a Fabbro swap. He’s taller than Fabbro. We would need a stopgap on RD to replace Fabbro and Holl has no future salary impediment. Plus maybe he has a little of that “veteran tweener ” vibe that our coach loves.

Not as anything like the main component. But put in a good prospect or pick and we’d take Holl at non-negative value as a throw-in I suspect.
You just got a lot of Leafs fans very excited!

Reactions: EK392000

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Teams like Vancouver, Columbus, Anaheim, Detroit, Ottawa, etc, should all be calling. Most so-called contenders likely already have a really solid player like him in their 2nd pairing, who’s already mature and experienced.

Boeser for Fabbro maybe? Bertuzzi for Fabbro?

Bertuzzi would add a dimension to Nashville, making them harder to play against. Same scenario. They’d lock him up for years on a good deal and enjoy having him.
Can't say that I would hate Fabbro as a solid 3rd pairing RHD in Detroit behind Seider and Hronek. He might be a tad too rich for Yzerman, as he's an RFA this summer with a qualifying offer of 2.4M.

I could there being a base for a trade around Bertuzzi and Fabbro.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Can't say that I would hate Fabbro as a solid 3rd pairing RHD in Detroit behind Seider and Hronek. He might be a tad too rich for Yzerman, as he's an RFA this summer with a qualifying offer of 2.4M.

I could there being a base for a trade around Bertuzzi and Fabbro.
But Bertuzzi is an impending UFA? I don't see the Preds trading Fabbro for 20 games of a player, in a season where the Preds aren't even likely to make the playoffs?
:dunno:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
To Nashville:
Mark Kastelic (3yrs at 821k - 835k, RFA) or Matt Joseph (4yrs at 2.95m, UFA)
Nick Holden (1yr at 1.3m, UFA) or Brannstrom (1yr at 900k, RFA)
WSH or OTT 2nd, 2024

To Ottawa:
Dante Fabbro (1yr at 2.4m, RFA)

I know it’s a bit of quantity over quality, but Kastelic is a steal at under 900k for 3 yrs, and at least one of those 2nd should be in the top 45. I would take Brannstrom by far over Holden, Brannstrom has a good NHL future as a #5 D, but the Preds seem to be prioritizing size. Of note, both Holden and Brannstrom can play RD.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
To Nashville:
Mark Kastelic (3yrs at 821k - 835k, RFA) or Matt Joseph (4yrs at 2.95m, UFA)
Nick Holden (1yr at 1.3m, UFA) or Brannstrom (1yr at 900k, RFA)
WSH or OTT 2nd, 2024

To Ottawa:
Dante Fabbro (1yr at 2.4m, RFA)

I know it’s a bit of quantity over quality, but Kastelic is a steal at under 900k for 3 yrs, and at least one of those 2nd should be in the top 45. I would take Brannstrom by far over Holden, Brannstrom has a good NHL future as a #5 D, but the Preds seem to be prioritizing size. Of note, both Holden and Brannstrom can play RD.
I don't believe it would be Joseph with his contract. But Kastelic + Brannstrom + 2nd seems like something to consider. Hynes would love Kastelic, probably. Brannstrom seems a little underwhelming and the Preds have quite a few smaller PMD-style D on the way, so he's not optimal either. Basically, this offer kind of scrapes past the minimum threshold to make it to the table for discussion, but I suspect somebody else would give us a "quality" piece in an offer that would ultimately beat this one.

Just for fun, the concept of including the Zaitsev dump as the "warm body" on RD, with dump incentives attached, might not be entirely out of the realm of consideration also. I think the Preds would ultimately balk at the extra year on his deal, but since his buyout only really hits hard the first year, if the incentive was sufficient it might not be totally impossible, given we'd have moved Fabbro's salary. :dunno:

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad