Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don’t think he was ever coming to Edmonton.

There was a video of him and his lifestyle that he prefers, also the fact he was good friends with Lindholm made it a lot easier to choose the guys down the highway.

Calgary vs Edmonton? Sorry there is not a lot of difference between the two. Oilers offered 5.5 and flames offered 6. If the oilers had offered 6 he would have signed in Edmonton. It was more about the money than anything else.

I could be wrong. and the Flames fans lurking may not like it, but the only reason you pick Calgary over Edmonton is money and nothing else.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
There was a video of him and his lifestyle that he prefers, also the fact he was good friends with Lindholm made it a lot easier to choose the guys down the highway.

i0r99areayp81.gif

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Didn't we have like 2 hits compared to 20+ from the flyers game?
I miss Kaner. Can't wait until he's back.
Sportsnet had the hits listed at 18-2 for Nashville in the 3rd period the other night. We can quibble about accuracy in suspect buildings all we want but this team is being physically dominated in every game they play by a wide margin. It’s a big part of why they look lifeless in the second half of games. Lots and lots of problems with this team, that’s just one of them.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Calgary vs Edmonton? Sorry there is not a lot of difference between the two. Oilers offered 5.5 and flames offered 6. If the oilers had offered 6 he would have signed in Edmonton. It was more about the money than anything else.

I could be wrong. and the Flames fans lurking may not like it, but the only reason you pick Calgary over Edmonton is money and nothing else.
I mean the money was there and there’s teammates and friends he prefers playing with.

You can find past articles on it on google.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That said Henriques line got absolutely obliterated tonight. Janmark and Brown struggle too.

Like what do you do.
Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Brown
Arvidsson - Nuge - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Podkolzin

We are really missing Kane to fill out that top 9.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
I'd honestly take Garland over any player in our fwd core not named McD or Drai. We have zero of these type of players and it shows with how slow, unskilled, and un-energetic pretty much all of our fwds are, and how incapable we are at pushing defense back and opening up plays in the middle of the ice. We are the softest perimeter team in the league for another year

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That said Henriques line got absolutely obliterated tonight. Janmark and Brown struggle too.

Like what do you do.
Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Henrique - Draisaitl - Brown
Arvidsson - Nuge - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Podkolzin

We are really missing Kane to fill out that top 9.

Hyman needs to come off McDavid’s line to quell his addiction to trying to hit him back door almost exclusively.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hyman needs to come off McDavid’s line to quell his addiction to trying to hit him back door almost exclusively.
I kind of agree but we don’t really many options. We are actually really shallow on wings. Left is Skinner, Nuge and….Podkolzin and Janmark…who neither of those guys should be above the 4th line. We also have right side of Hyman, Arvidsson, Brown and Perry. 2 guys who are strugglng for a drop of offence and 2 guys who absolutely can’t play top 6.
It’s wild how weak we are for middle 6 wingers right now.
This team is cursed to never have more than 2 good wingers at a time lol.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I kind of agree but we don’t really many options. We are actually really shallow on wings. Left is Skinner, Nuge and….Podkolzin and Janmark…who neither of those guys should be above the 4th line. We also have right side of Hyman, Arvidsson, Brown and Perry. 2 guys who are strugglng for a drop of offence and 2 guys who absolutely can’t play top 6.
It’s wild how weak we are for middle 6 wingers right now.
This team is cursed to never have more than 2 good wingers at a time lol.

Move Henrique to 2LW, Nuge to 3C, Hyman 2RW, Skinner 1LW, Arvidsson 1RW.

Temporary to shake them out of this malaise, but I think it’s critical that Leon and McDavid (especially) play with unfamiliar players to force them to re-focus on their own game. McDavid won’t be standing around looking for Hyman back door, or Leon for a one timer when those options aren’t there. He’s going to be forced to be more assertive. In a weird way he’s better the shittier his linemates are sometimes.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Yup, this organization hasn’t had an elite goalie since Cujo, you would think they could figure this out.
I still remember that Dallas series. Cujo was frikin unbelievable

That stick save where his stick goes flying over the net. The save before Marchant OT goal. Thing of beauty

That diving empty net save against Colorado in the layoffs with his stick entended out. Just a warrior who didn't quit.

Also very nice guy. Lived next door to my uncle in Terwillegar off rabbit hill road

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'd honestly take Garland over any player in our fwd core not named McD or Drai. We have zero of these type of players and it shows with how slow, unskilled, and un-energetic pretty much all of our fwds are, and how incapable we are at pushing defense back and opening up plays in the middle of the ice. We are the softest perimeter team in the league for another year
You'd take Garland over Hyman, Skinner and Arvidsson....

I hope you are joking

TheGingaNinja

Edmonton Ex-Pat who still loves his hometown team.
Sep 26, 2019
A little late with this, but I think the team played pretty well in the first 2 periods (Hyman needs to sacrifice a chicken to the hockey gods, Major League style or something). They stifled Dallas well, and Ottz was just on his A game.

I'm usually a Skinner defender, but that first goal cant go in. The team visibly deflated after that one, and Dallas is too good to not take advantage. He's got to step up or it might be along season.

I think the team's overall play is somewhat encouraging, especially against a top end opponent....but we gotta stop losing the games we should have won. Hopefully that changes toute suite.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A little late with this, but I think the team played pretty well in the first 2 periods (Hyman needs to sacrifice a chicken to the hockey gods, Major League style or something). They stifled Dallas well, and Ottz was just on his A game.

I'm usually a Skinner defender, but that first goal cant go in. The team visibly deflated after that one, and Dallas is too good to not take advantage. He's got to step up or it might be along season.

I think the team's overall play is somewhat encouraging, especially against a top end opponent....but we gotta stop losing the games we should have won. Hopefully that changes toute suite.
It’s exactly the same as last year. Losing in the exact same ways and it took something drastic to get out. Wonder what that will be this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

That first goal went off a stick.
Skinner wasnt problem in this game. Made some clutch saves.

The PK and the PP were the problem. As much a posters like to dismiss the absence of Foegele and McLeod they were both very good on the PK. This teamis the worst in the NHL on the PK.
That is a major problem.
In the podcast thread I posted the Post game show from Edmontons Sports Talk.
Brad Malone made an excellent point on the 1st Dallas goal on the PP. Why didnt Knoblach have a RHC on the ice? Instead he had a LHC on the ice and considering the situation that was an odd choice.
So a coaching mistake helped cause that goal.
He also mentioned that Dallas compressed down low in their D zone and made the Oilers get outside shots. When the Oilers did get an inclose shot all Ott had to do was hold his position cover the bottom of the net. That is counted as a HDSC but IMO it really isnt becuse the probablity of slamming a puck through the goalies pads are not that high unless you get rebound opportunities which the Oilers didnt get.

The other issues are 5x5 scroing, the PP and the defence.
The big 5 players (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman and Bouchard) have been very underwhelming on the PP and at 5x5.
That has to change especially on the PP because they eat up almost 90% of the PP time.
A number of elementary breakdowns in this game.

Havent really been impressed with Stecher so far and todays game was no exception. Bouchard hasnt been very impressive either.

Lots of work left to do and its a failry long list to clean up....goaltending is well down the list.

Last edited:

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I have no idea how he hasn't been fired yet. By far the most incompetent member of staff in the organization.
He has to have some ties in the org

After this long, you just make the change for the sake of making it. It can't hurt. We have a goalie who can't even hit 0.900

Like wtf are they even doing. Makes zero sense

They love changing coaches

A goalie is such an importsnt position. Skinner is so inconsistent. All over the place. Why not just try something different that could resonate with him?

Mindbotttttling

Reactions: McAsuno

TheGingaNinja

Edmonton Ex-Pat who still loves his hometown team.
Sep 26, 2019
That first goal went off a stick.
Skinner wasnt problem in this game. Made some clutch saves.

The PK and the PP were the problem. As much a posters like to dismiss the absence of Foegele and McLeod they were both very good on the PK. This teamis the worst in the NHL on the PK.
That is a major problem.
In the podcast thread I posted the Post game show from Edmontons Sports Talk.
Brad Malone made an exclelnet point on the 1st Dallas goal on the PP. Why didnt Knoblach have a RHC on the ice? Instead he had a LHC on the ice and considering the situation that was an odd choice.
So a coaching mistake helped cause that goal.

The other issues are 5x5 scroing, the PP and the defence.
The big 5 players (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman and Bouchard) have been very underwhelming on the PP and at 5x5.
That has to change especially on the PP because they eat up 90% of the PP time.
A number of elementary breakdowns in this game.

Havent really been impressed with Stecher so far and todays game was no exception. Bouchard hasnt been very impressive either.

Lots of work left to do and its a failry long list to clean up....goaltending is well down the list.
I'll have to recheck that goal, because it seemed to beat him clean to my eye.

Agree about the special teams though. They have been atrocious and it is absolutely killing us.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s exactly the same as last year. Losing in the exact same ways and it took something drastic to get out. Wonder what that will be this year.

This was the 6th game of last season and it was way worse.

Defensive structure was horrendous against a worse opponent.

Our D was solid against Dallas for the most part, it's our special teams that are killing us, no PP production, PK is a half second slow.

At least 5 on 5 I'm seeing some semblance of a defensive structure here the last 3 games that wasn't the case with the gong show last year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'll have to recheck that goal, because it seemed to beat him clean to my eye.

Agree about the special teams though. They have been atrocious and it is absolutely killing us.
100%
Special teams have been embarrassingly bad. When the teams best players arent scoring at 5x5 and on the PP then the team cant afford to leak PK goals against and thats exactly whats happening.
All this offensive power and they scored 1 goal at 5x5 in this game and gave up 3.
The team was 0/2 on the PP and also 0% on the PK.
Just brutal.

Here is a comparison...the Flames have scored 20 goals in 5 games.
The Oilers have scored 12 goals in 6 games.
WTF?
That really illustrates just how bad this teams best players have been so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGingaNinja

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Flames are actually a bad comparision at this point in time.
San Jose is a better comparison.

Just like the start of last season the Oilers are fighting it out with San Jose for the bottom of the Pacific Division.

Goals for GP:
San Jose: 11 goals in 5 games
Edmonton: 12 goals in 6 games (tied for last in the NHL)

Goal differential:
San Jose: -11
Edmonton: -12 (2nd last in the NHL)

Net PP%:
San Jose: 15.4%
Edmonton: 6.7% (Bottom 5 in the NHL)

Net PK%:
San Jose: 80%
Edmonton: 55% (last in the NHL)

The Oilers deserve to be where they currently are in the standings and the vast majority of the blame falls on their best players.

Last edited:

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
This was the 6th game of last season and it was way worse.

Defensive structure was horrendous against a worse opponent.

Our D was solid against Dallas for the most part, it's our special teams that are killing us, no PP production, PK is a half second slow.

At least 5 on 5 I'm seeing some semblance of a defensive structure here the last 3 games that wasn't the case with the gong show last year.

Yup, the D was fine today. It's our inability to only generate scoring chances from the perimeter. The PP is a microcosm of our entire 5on5 game and has been for years. Outside muffins with the occasional good passing play but not able to get any chances from the middle of the ice. This team is so used to having below average shooters on the fwd line that it's slowly, year after year, molding the playstyle to only being able to score off a backdoor tap-in.

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad