Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Think at this point we've had enough of a sample size to say Stuart Skinner is just an average at best goalie, the Oilers basically need to play almost perfect and he looks fine then, but so would like 25 other goalies in that circumstance.

Reactions: McDrai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Is there a player that spends more time on ice or on his knees that Arvid? no.

Positive aspects Podkolzin with his best game of the year but the guy fails with hands. Lots of effort, no results.

Stecher with Nurse and Emberson with Kulak is looking like pairs. I prefer to continue with these.

Today was a huge game not just because of our record but it shows what team we are. It showed today that perhaps we're not as good as the team we had last spring.

We don't want to face Dallas again this spring. Counter to what broadcast were saying the Stars are better without Tanev, Suter, and Pavelski who were all pretty bad in playoffs. This Stars team has more youth playing more minutes. f***, I'll say it too. What I would give to have a player like Marchment. My kind of player. Tough, hard on pucks and can make plays like he did on winning goal. Nobody on ice saw that play happening except Marchment.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
97a6z7.jpg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thought he looked fine. I only got to see the first two periods, but he looked okay to me.

Had a pretty bad turn over in the 2nd and then a miscommunication with Skinner behind the net that almost gave Dallas a goal but Arividsson bailed them out by blocking the puck from going in the net.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Not really, the defense has gotten a lot better the last three games, on Woodcroft last year the D was just a hot mess all the way through until he got fired.

Our special teams suck balls and Skinner has an awful GSAA.

I'm not that worried about our special teams as a whole - we have too much talent for the pp not to be successful eventually.

Same with the PK. Nuge and Rico are both legit pk centers, and then you got Brownmark, and Ryan and Hyman are pretty legit too.

Idk it has to turn around basically - the units are filled with guys who've done it at Elite levels for years.

I also think the biggest piece of the pks struggles is we aren't getting saves - the pk tonight is the perfect example, not much the unit could have done exactly.

Skinner though... I don't have faith in Stuart Skinner at all.

Reactions: MoontoScott

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Should have matched at least 1 guy and not wasted money on guys like Emberson and Dermott. We really should look at moving Arvidsson sooner rather than later if its even possible. Just isnt a good fit thus far. These are the type of teams you'd expect Arvidsson to thrive in. He didn't piss A drop the entire game. Bench his ass

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
LOL. No. It's everything we got plus more.
How does this game not demonstrate which roster was better? Unfortunately last years club could beat you a lot of different ways. Speed, skill, tough, had some energy and zip to it. Generally today if it wasn't top or 4th line out there not much was happening.

That said our D pairs could be turning into something. Too early to tell. But Oilers not out of the woods here yet with a slow start. Team is extremely fortunate to get the 2 pts in Philly game. Without which we're in some trouble.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
If our top guys still aren't peaking. But this roster has way more potential.

Don't really agree. Could be slightly better though. I think the biggest issue is still; that the top dogs don't seem to be invested in the games so far.

IMO Leon's reaction to the benching was a little too pissy given the circumstances.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm not that worried about our special teams as a whole - we have too much talent for the pp not to be successful eventually.

Same with the PK. Nuge and Rico are both legit pk centers, and then you got Brownmark, and Ryan and Hyman are pretty legit too.

Idk it has to turn around basically - the units are filled with guys who've done it at Elite levels for years.

I also think the biggest piece of the pks struggles is we aren't getting saves - the pk tonight is the perfect example, not much the unit could have done exactly.

Skinner though... I don't have faith in Stuart Skinner at all.
Every save is an adventure.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Had a pretty bad turn over in the 2nd and then a miscommunication with Skinner behind the net that almost gave Dallas a goal but Arividsson bailed them out by blocking the puck from going in the net.
Couple plays out of 16 and a half minutes seems whatever to me. Moreso considering nothing hurt them.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Should have matched at least 1 guy and not wasted money on guys like Emberson and Dermott. We really should look at moving Arvidsson sooner rather than later if its even possible. Just isnt a good fit thus far. These are the type of teams you'd expect Arvidsson to thrive in. He didn't piss A drop the entire game. Bench his ass
spending money on those guys isnt the reason they couldnt afford the other 2 by the way.

But I wouldnt expect you to know that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think they’ll be okay
Oilers will make playoffs. Don't know what they do once they get there. We need some more grit in lineup. Game today sure it looked like we were running the stars but I think physically their battle on pucks was prevailing. We were winning all the faceoffs until Nuge gets beat clean on the first goal. That can't happen.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
So many fails on this team right now. I think every single dman (except make Kulak) was guilty of blowing basic coverage and failing to make standard zone clears. Top line giving the puck away without a care in the world and directly responsible for GA again. Stuart Skinner vastly outplayed by his counterpart.

Woke up at 5:00 AM on a Sunday to watch this game. Was that ever a bad call on my part. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Go figure 2/3 of the worst goalies are coached by shit hole overlord at his job in Dustin Schwartz.

Even with the Oilers being the no.1 team in the league from Nov. 12 onwards last year (so like 75%+ of the season), Skinner still finished like 36th best in GSAA.

He's just not ... good at making higher danger saves, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad