Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We could run it out of the house Hall built
Yeh I'm just wishful thinking at this point. But imagine if we pulled off that vision.

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arviddson
Holloway-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Mcleod-Perry

Ekholm-Bouch
Broberg-Stetcher
Kulak-Emberson

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Defensively I think 5 on 5 our game is coming so at least that's a positive, I think that's only 3 ES goals against in 3 games I believe and one of those goals was Ekholm putting the puck in his own net. If we can continue that, success will come.

The special teams are just hot ass right now, not in sync at all, it's cost us at least 3-4 points this year.

Is what it is, wouldn't be an Oilers season without a stretch of total shit play either right to start the season or leading into Christmas, one or the other.
Yep overall team D at 5v5 is decent right now... the only positive on the team.

Can't win games without any offensive finish, not getting decent goaltending and atrocious special teams though.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Evan Bouchard has been a massive disappointment so far. Bobbling the puck like crazy, point shots getting blocked most of the time, no real contributions to speak of.
Even with last year's performance, I don't think 8 years at 10M per season works too well for the Oilers.

It might get a lot tougher to justify as the season progresses.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeh I'm just wishful thinking at this point. But imagine if we pulled off that vision.

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arviddson
Holloway-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Mcleod-Perry

Ekholm-Bouch
Broberg-Stetcher
Kulak-Emberson
That’s a worse roster than we have now.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Playing RNH at C without a real play-driver on his line is a guaranteed way to get no offensive output. If he’s not going to play on 29 or 97s wing, then at least put Skinner there.

Fundamentally, the issue is that 29 and 97 playing together against good teams will neuter the entire roster.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not gonna pin point the loss only on Skinner tonight, but a .870 save % performance isn't gonna help any team win in this league. Yes, the Oilers didn't score a goal until it was already close to being game over, but I thought the team played well enough 2/3 of the game. Just couldn't find a goal past Oettinger. All Skinner needed to do in return was just make f***ing saves.

Deflating when our goalie is more often than not the second best goalie in the games he's been in through the season thus far. (Eat shit, Dustin Schwartz)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner shouldn’t see the net until next Sunday at least, assuming Pickard can just play at a slightly below average NHL level for two games, which is an improvement on what this bum has given us this year. Wake up and start the f***ing season.

Although Skinner was a joke, we decided to start our dead foot, pass happy incompetence in the third. Both the 2nd and 3rd goals were off of jailbreaks created for no reason other than we chose to make cute, dumb passes high in the o zone rather than just drive low and make a play to the net. McDavid on the second, Henrique the third. McDavid’s with the added bonus of a lazy back check.

The zone time was nice when we decided to not be lazy in the first two periods, but Oettinger had clean looks on pretty much every save he made. Need to completely change our approach.

The cherry on top was the fat pig of a ref “missing” the trip on Skinner directly in front of him to end the faint hope of coming
Yeah, I prefer Pickard. That said Skinner had a good series against Stars last season so you give him this start. OTT was premium today. Could see he was on from the start of things. He was the game.

Stars took the game over in the 3rd.
Evan Bouchard has been a massive disappointment so far. Bobbling the puck like crazy, point shots getting blocked most of the time, no real contributions to speak of.
Booch has had a lot of scoring chances and a lot of brilliant jumps up into play. He's doing fine, not the problem at all. Any of the forwards not scoring at all, thats the problem. Booch is playing pretty well.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Watching these games so far, I'm getting the sense that the Oilers really were not ready for the season, and still have a long way to go to find their footing. The truncated offseason(further exasperated by a 2 week party vacation for Mcdavid's wedding) and heavy offseason roster turnover has disrupted the team's chemistry and confidence. All the missed passes, lack of second efforts, unwillingness to pay the price around the net give the impression of a team both not fully committed and uncertain of their places on the team. Doesn't help that Mcdavid/Drai are no where near their dominant forms yet either, and it's causing a severe trickle down effect to all the coattail riders and role players who need them to be dominant to be effective.

I do think Knoblauch is dropping the ball to start the season though. Putting Mcdavid/Drai together after a couple of games and force feeding certain struggling players minutes until everyone is frustrated is the wrong way to go about it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think there were quite a few positives from the game. 2 solid road periods. Come the 3rd there was no push at all.

Powerplay looks incredibly disjointed. It’s 7.7% on the year. I don’t think it’s a couple players on it. The whole unit looks disinterested.

Penalty kill at a whopping 57.8% is losing games. Giving up basically 2 a game. We aren’t getting the saves on it but we give up great chances at the same time.

Realistically if you give up 2 goals on the pk a game and you are just averaging around 2 goals in offence you aren’t winning.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm not gonna pin point the loss only on Skinner tonight, but a .870 save % performance isn't gonna help any team win in this league. Yes, the Oilers didn't score a goal until it was already close to being game over, but I thought the team played well enough 2/3 of the game. Just couldn't find a goal past Oettinger. All Skinner needed to do in return was just make f***ing saves.

Deflating when our goalie is more often than not the second best goalie in the games he's been in through the season thus far. (Eat shit, Dustin Schwartz)

I’m not going to suggest it’s acceptable, but I can help but think that the goal at the end of the second basically sealed it for this group mentally. They came out dumb and slow in the third.

When you basically don’t allow a single Grade A through two periods, only for your goalie to give up that, it’s tough to re-engage.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Didn’t watch the game but knew we would lose due to goalie matchup. Would have actually gone with Pickard since he put up a decent performance in the previous game

Reactions: MoontoScott

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arviddson
Holloway-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Mcleod-Perry

Ekholm-Bouch
Broberg-Stetcher
Kulak-Emberson

I imagine similar results

Reactions: Duke74

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yep overall team D at 5v5 is decent right now... the only positive on the team.

Can't win games without any offensive finish, not getting decent goaltending and atrocious special teams though.
Those sniper shots from Drai and Mc-D just don't seem to be there.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Playing himself out of tens of millions of dollars right now.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I’m not going to suggest it’s acceptable, but I can help but think that the goal at the end of the second basically sealed it for this group mentally. They came out dumb and slow in the third.

When you basically don’t allow a single Grade A through two periods, only for your goalie to give up that, it’s tough to re-engage.

What's crazy is that Skinner is only 2nd under to 1st place Georgiev from Colorado in terms of which goalies have been sucking major ass this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad