Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Jamie Benn (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's a good player but that's way to much money for him. Dallas will regret this deal in a few yrs. I think. I'd give him 8 yrs. at 8 million per myself.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's a good player but that's way to much money for him. Dallas will regret this deal in a few yrs. I think. I'd give him 8 yrs. at 8 million per myself.

While its definitly alot of money i doubt Dallas will regret the contract. The ones you usually regret is those where you overpay for secondary and role players . The players that carry teams are worth their money . Benn has been one of the best players in the league for a couple of years now he's earned that money.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
With a 8 year deal, especially at that dollar amount, I worry about what it's going to look like from year 5-8, but screw it. Benn is a phenomenal player and he's never leaving Dallas.

Boo from this Avs fan.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Outside of the Kane and Toews contracts, I feel like all of the other elite players in hockey that have re-signed recently (since the 2013 lockout) are signed to reasonable contracts. I feel like $8.5 million to $9.5 million for guys like Stamkos, Kopitar, Subban, Malkin and Benn is pretty fair. I still find it funny how Toews makes more than all of those guys though :laugh:

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I don't understand the complaints about term. If you don't want to dish out the years for an elite player, you aren't going to have that player. There's little reason to think he won't still be good approaching his mid 30's anyway. He doesn't just rely on physicality and hasn't taken that much of a beating. And he's only averaged missing about three games per season in his seven NHL years. Most of the missed time was due to a freak skate cut and then an appendectomy.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Benn's a good enough player to make that big contract actually worth it. Hopefully this deal works out as well for both sides as it has the potential to.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I can't believe I am saying this but I feel like some here are still underrating what a beast Jamie Benn is. He's still only 26 (ok, he'll be 27 in 2 days!) and does everything you can think of. His game will evolve as he gets towards the latter part of the contract but there is no doubt in my mind he'll still be a terrific player in years 7 and 8 of the deal.

Dude is worth every single penny.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Dallas needed to sign this deal to lock up a super star player for the next 4 to 5 seasons......if/when he fades they deal with it then (flip the asset). I am sure that will be accounted for in the deal structure (front loaded with movement options in the back half of the contract). The deal is fair for both sides not a steal but it is market rate for one of the top players in the game.

Good day for Dallas and Benn.

This. Money doesn't bother me. Term is a little concerning but I'm sure Dallas covered all their basis. Had to lock him up long term.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Listen...

No matter what anyone says, it's a good contract.

He's a stud right now with no signs of slowing down. Paying him like a stud is the only thing you can expect. If you get a discount, great. If not, it's still good.

Good contract.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Mid pack deal. On the market, max length.

Nobody gouged anybody, bit disappointing actually.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It doesn't matter if Jamie Benn gets 8.5, 9.5, or 10. You can't lose a talent like that at age 26. You sign him and shuffle the deck chairs where needed.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
It doesn't matter if Jamie Benn gets 8.5, 9.5, or 10. You can't lose a talent like that at age 26. You sign him and shuffle the deck chairs where needed.

Thank you. So well said. This is where the thread should start and end. 30 out of 30 GMs should be fired if they don't resign a talent like Jamie Benn in his prime. You give the man a blank check and figure your roster out later. He puts butts in seats and can't be replaced. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad