Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] G Jake Oettinger signs extension with the Stars (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
18-6-2 with Quick…

Which btw, is a better win/loss ratio than Igor
I see you really fail to comprehend how starting goalies and back up goalies are utilized. It's almost like teams use their back ups against weaker teams and on significantly more rest than starting goalies get.

Not even sure why you're trying to argue anything against Shesterkin. He's been the only consistently elite goalie in both the season and playoffs the past 3 seasons. He absolutely blows every other goalie out of the water in any meaningful stat over that time period. The only goalie who even compares to him in season is Helle, and Shesterkin just absolutely laps him 10x over in the playoffs.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I see you really fail to comprehend how starting goalies and back up goalies are utilized. It's almost like teams use their back ups against weaker teams and on significantly more rest than starting goalies get.

Not even sure why you're trying to argue anything against Shesterkin. He's been the only consistently elite goalie in both the season and playoffs the past 3 seasons. He absolutely blows every other goalie out of the water in any meaningful stat over that time period. The only goalie who even compares to him in season is Helle, and Shesterkin just absolutely laps him 10x over in the playoffs.
Half of Quicks games were against playoff teams.

I’m not arguing against him. I’m arguing against the idea that NYR were a much worse team than Boston and Dallas.

They were literally THE best team. And their backup goalie had a better win/loss ratio.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
If I was wealthy I’d want a 100 acre ranch with a hockey rink, basketball court, private lake and maybe even an air strip. Now Ottenger can get that in the Greater Dallas area easy. Probably for under 10 million. How much would that be in New York? Atleast not for Canadians New York isn’t desirable.

Compare what 10 million can get you in Winnipeg vs New York. If I were to move to New York I’d need a private airpad for a helicopter to take me from point A to B because there is no way I’d be waiting a hour for traffic everyday.

Edit- 1 acre of land is worth 43,560,000 USD in Manhattan.

Bud, your argument is rooted in the irrational assumption that every NHL player who plays for NYR will have to either reside in or buy property in Manhattan. Why would you assume that the players have to do that? Their practice facility isn't located in NYC. There are numerous options for upscale, beautiful suburban towns in that NJ/NY area that the players can choose to reside in - some of which offer larger acreage properties. If you were familiar with that area of the country you would already be aware of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
How is that the most desirable location to live in? 50 million dollars can’t buy a home worth living in, in New York City. 10 acres of land alone is probably worth 500 million in Manhattan let alone affording a house to build on that. Delusional opinion. Unless you’re a wallstreet guy people don’t wanna be crammed in a condo with no privacy.
Alpine, New Jersey is like a dozen miles from Manhattan and has gorgeous, spread out mansions on large pieces of land. Lots of celebrities live over there.

A lot of Habs live in Brossard, where their practice facility is located and not in Montreal. I'm sure it's the same for players everywhere else.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If I was wealthy I’d want a 100 acre ranch with a hockey rink, basketball court, private lake and maybe even an air strip. Now Ottenger can get that in the Greater Dallas area easy. Probably for under 10 million. How much would that be in New York? Atleast not for Canadians New York isn’t desirable.

Compare what 10 million can get you in Winnipeg vs New York. If I were to move to New York I’d need a private airpad for a helicopter to take me from point A to B because there is no way I’d be waiting a hour for traffic everyday.

That's you though. I wouldn't want even half of what you listed. Just a decently nice house overlooking the mountains and ocean in Vancouver. People have different ideas of luxury. NYC is popular because of the sheer number of attractions it offers. Yes, it's expensive but that's part of the appeal for people who can afford it.

Shesterkin is not worth 3 to 4 mil more than this.

Agreed. And I think the Rangers are going to let him go to market and find out nobody will offer him 12M. Or if one or two teams do, it won't be a perennial playoff team

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax

I ageee with you on that. I have no interest in living in NYC but a lot of athletes love that. I wouldn’t trade my 55 acres outside of town for an acre in manhattan either. Still, it’s always been historically a very popular place to want to play. It’s a prestigious international city and they’re in win now mode. Its expense is due to its desirability. We are in the minority on that.

Plus who can afford 12m for a goalie and still win. Most teams that have any chance of winning couldn’t make that work. He’ll have to choose between winning and being the highest paid goalie ever.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Riddle me this...Exact same contract as Swayman, why does Oettinger's agent deserve Millions (5% is $3.3 Million COMMISSION) for signing this deal? Should that commission not go to Swayman and his agent for setting the market? Hats off to these agents and the crazy money they make, heck I'm not one and am envious, but if I'm Oettinger I'm shaking my head when I sign over that commission check.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Bud, your argument is rooted in the irrational assumption that every NHL player who plays for NYR will have to either reside in or buy property in Manhattan. Why would you assume that the players have to do that? Their practice facility isn't located in NYC. There are numerous options for upscale, beautiful suburban towns in that NJ/NY area that the players can choose to reside in - some of which offer larger acreage properties. If you were familiar with that area of the country you would already be aware of this.
Property is a pretty safe investment. It’s meaningless at the end of the day when it comes to costs. If a player drops $3m on property and then when his time is done in that city he most likely sells it for at least what he paid if not getting a solid return on investment.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Igor is about to look real stupid with his 12m ask, especially considering he plays for a contender in the most desirable destination to play in the league.

Drury on the hot seat if he already offered $11m as reported.

Backed himself into a corner.

Either he honors that number if Shesterkins agent walks back and agrees now, or Drury recinds to a lower number and pisses off his star player.

Either way, all these goalies that are A tier just in the - or even side taking ~$8m/per is making Igors (A+ tier) ask of $4m extra a bad look in a capped league for a position that, if he gets hurt, the team has a serious burden to try and cover.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Riddle me this...Exact same contract as Swayman, why does Oettinger's agent deserve Millions (5% is $3.3 Million COMMISSION) for signing this deal? Should that commission not go to Swayman and his agent for setting the market? Hats off to these agents and the crazy money they make, heck I'm not one and am envious, but if I'm Oettinger I'm shaking my head when I sign over that commission check.
If Swayman doesn't sign, what do you think the market was for Oettinger's 8 year deal in Dallas? I mean most of the time it's just simply not dealing with all that BS negotiation, back and forth and legal stuff. I don't think Oettinger needed his agent to get around that cap hit with Dallas.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Drury on the hot seat if he already offered $11m as reported.

Backed himself into a corner.

Either he honors that number if Shesterkins agent walks back and agrees now, or Drury recinds to a lower number and pisses off his star player.

Either way, all these goalies that are A tier just in the - or even side taking ~$8m/per is making Igors (A+ tier) ask of $4m extra a bad look in a capped league for a position that, if he gets hurt, the team has a serious burden to try and cover.
As stated before by others, you can't just compare contracts. It might work for owners/organizations, but it doesn't work for the players. Dallas isn't NY, and while some might prefer Dallas, that doesn't change how far your money can go. Whether Igor stays in his apartment in Manhattan (may have already moved), or lives in CT like Kreider, speeding more time traveling, the expensive are just going to be different for at least 8 years, while be taxed a higher rate. Again if you're an owner or in position to sign players you probably don't care and all you see is numbers against the cap, but for players it means a lot to have more of your money not go to your bank account or investments. A change where tax is calculated at a central NHL location would even it out a bit, but taxes don't work that way and they already said the feeling is leveling the playing field would be too complicated.

Realistically if you say Igor is a 9-9.5M goalie in a market like Dallas, then he's going to need 11'ish or more in half the league. Maybe more if if you include big signing bonuses as that will be taxed at a higher rate. That doesn't even take into consideration for insane living areas. It's just too hard to put a cap on a goalie in the NHL when comparing contracts.

If Igor takes less of an early signing bonus to not get hit with NY taxes, he's losing out on investing that money and having it grow. It's not just "Insert" how much the difference is over the period of the contract.

But unfortunately the goal is to win and if you're an Owner/GM, you have to think about your team first and not the player who is taking a hit on income playing for you over another team, and I just don't know how you do that paying 11+ on a goalie.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think $3M more for Igor is out of line with these Oettinger/Swayman contracts.

Just because these are the newest ones doesn't make them the right comps, when Vasy's $9.5M has already existed for a while.

You're paying Shesterkin the extra however many million for the .930 playoff performance.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't think $3M more for Igor is out of line with these Oettinger/Swayman contracts.

Just because these are the newest ones doesn't make them the right comps, when Vasy's $9.5M has already existed for a while.

You're paying Shesterkin the extra however many million for the .930 playoff performance.

Or Bob, already making $10m and now with a Cup to boot. :dunno:

I don't think Igor will settle for less than that. Whether or not the Rangers buckle is anyone's guess.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Firstly I just want to say this is a good deal, oettinger is one of the best goalies in the league and he’s lining up nicely with others around him like Hellebuyck and Swayman. Dallas has the goaltending position set for a good cost.

Anyone bringing up Shesterkin doesn’t see how good he is

Come playoff time, there isn’t a goalie in the world I’d rather have in my net, AINEC

Dudes worst career series is a .910 against the penguins in 2022….his absolute rock bottom has been an above average goaltender

After that he has had a:

And these are against teams like tampa, florida, Carolina. These aren’t no wildcard bum teams, except for Washington.

what goalie ever does that? Oettinger has multiple sub .900 save percentages in series’s.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
How is that the most desirable location to live in? 50 million dollars can’t buy a home worth living in, in New York City. 10 acres of land alone is probably worth 500 million in Manhattan let alone affording a house to build on that. Delusional opinion. Unless you’re a wallstreet guy people don’t wanna be crammed in a condo with no privacy.
I love when people voice opinions based solely on their uninformed assumptions.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Man it's still so crazy to me that one of the best goaltenders in the league will only make 8.25M per season for 8 years but an absolute scrub in the NBA who plays like 12 minutes per night can make 10M per year on a 4 year contract then somehow get a pay raise.

Rookie extensions in the NBA are at like $80 million now.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I love when people voice opinions based solely on their uninformed assumptions.
1 acre is worth 48 million in Manhattan, most people hate traffic, famous people hate subways because they get swarmed while trying to focus on a game, Russians and Canadian are used to privacy unless they are from a big city. Tell me how much would 100 acres of farm land cost in the greater New York area to build a ranch on? Now tell me how much that cost outside of Dallas. Unless you’re a billionaire that takes a helicopter to board meetings like in HBOs succession, New York is a terrible place to live.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
1 acre is worth 48 million in Manhattan, most people hate traffic, famous people hate subways because they get swarmed while trying to focus on a game, Russians and Canadian are used to privacy unless they are from a big city. Tell me how much would 100 acres of farm land cost in the greater New York area to build a ranch on? Now tell me how much that cost outside of Dallas. Unless you’re a billionaire that takes a helicopter to board meetings like in HBOs succession, New York is a terrible place to live.
While I agree that life style expenses and cost of living will play a major role for a contract and city living is just way too expensive, I think a lot of people who prefer the NY life style get penthouse style apartments more than their mansion on acres of land.

Majority aren't looking to find 100 acres or even an acre in Manhattan. Most would move slightly outside the area like Yonkers, or even a little bit further like Westchester if they were looking to stay in NY and have a nice house/property. CT isn't very far either. I hate the city but I'm older now. I don't want to deal with the traffic, the people, or the parking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad