Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] G Jake Oettinger signs extension with the Stars (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Man it's still so crazy to me that one of the best goaltenders in the league will only make 8.25M per season for 8 years but an absolute scrub in the NBA who plays like 12 minutes per night can make 10M per year on a 4 year contract then somehow get a pay raise.
nba tv contracts (and viewership) are significantly higher than the nhl

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
If Igor wasn't carrying them they would be. In fact, in the playoffs, they've been a lot worse than mid.
Yet somehow Quick had a resurgence playing on that mid Rangers team?
Shesterkin isn’t worth $3-$4mill more than Oettinger in a salary cap era.

Anywho. Beauty deal for Stars fans.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

This is probably gonna derail this thread, but Quick's resurgence on the Rangers had more to do with him changing his playing style.

If you watched Quick in 2023-2024, he didn't really play like Quick anymore. There were remnants of it, but he really had to overhaul his game and the way he played. He wasn't flopping and dead to rights 10 times a game, which was causing multiple open net goals per game for much of his last several seasons in LA.

Quick never gave away his secrets or even said that he was playing differently, but it's very obvious from watching him that he was.

The Rangers have maybe the best goalie coach in the league, though now it appears that he's only the part time goalie coach as of this year.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

He is.

In 23-24: Igor 18 GSAx, Oettinger 1 GSAx, playoffs Igor 16 GSAx Oetter 5 GSAx
22-23: Igor 28 GSAx, Oetter 21 GSAx, playoffs Igor 10 GSAx (7 games), Oetter NEGATIVE 7 GSAx
21-22: Igor 38 GSAx, Oetter 1 GSAx, playoffs Igor 23 GSAx, Oetter 13 GSAx

Igor is on a different level.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After seeing a 28 year old in his sophomore NHL season getting $5 million a year after one solid season in the NHL at 27 years old (Daccord) there's no telling what goalies are gonna get now.

I hope the Oilers don't go out and sign jabroni Skinner to something stupid like $4 or $5 million per. They can get some JAG for much cheaper, who likely is no worse than Skinner.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Goalies have been underpaid for years imo. It's the hardest role in hockey i'm cool with them getting more money.

Just look at Matt Muray. Career can be over (or almost over) in a blink of an eye.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Man it's still so crazy to me that one of the best goaltenders in the league will only make 8.25M per season for 8 years but an absolute scrub in the NBA who plays like 12 minutes per night can make 10M per year on a 4 year contract then somehow get a pay raise.
Here’s part of it:

IMG_3146.jpegIMG_3147.jpeg

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
UFA in an undesirable location vs RFA in a desirable location that already has built a relationship and history with the team.

Ullmark probably should have gotten somewhere closer to 7M if you go by historical comparisons, but it shouldn't surprise anybody that a Canadian team, let alone the Senators, have to overpay to keep talent.

It's pretty clear that there is an established floor being set that if a goalie is a top 10 goalie in the league, now they are getting 8M instead of 6.5M. The real franchise goalies are going to get 12M-13M instead of 10M-11M.
We are also comparing a no income tax state to Ottawa.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Really not excited with giving any goalie an 8 year contract but the cap hit is fine. Big fan of Oettinger, if he keeps his form Dallas will be a contender for a long time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Rangers aren’t a middle of the pack team….
Paying $12million+ for a goalie is wild.

*edit. I guess he has been on a pretty underpaid deal the last 3-4 years. So he’s looking for some makeup pay eh?
Analytically yes they are, and they've been analytically poor in the playoffs propped up by the best goaltending in the playoffs the past 3 years combined.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So only ~$400k per year. Nice for Dallas, but not a huge deal in the whole "no tax" conversation.
I don't think that number is accurate, especially with it showing Ullmark having no signing bonus and Oettinger getting a signing bonus through-out the years.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
LOL and Shesty won't take $11m.

He's better than Oettinger but not more than $3m/yr better.
It's not 3M a year when you add in living environment and taxes. NYR will play Florida and Tampa to get a little tax break, but Dallas also plays against Seattle, Nashville, Vegas, and other teams with some lower tax rates. But yes, 11M just sounds crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad