Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm a little peeved that everyone else is signing their goalies in the 8's and we're here hoping our guy signs for 11.5. And it's not the actual dollar I'm annoyed at, it's that Shesterkin, knowing where this teams stands cap wise, is willing to handicap us for competing against teams like Dallas, Boston, etc. I believe Igor is a top 2 or 3 goalie in the league, but I also don't think he can replace 4 million dollars worth of extra offense or defense, or maybe even more if you saved it for the deadline. Personally I think Garand is an nhl starter, maybe not now but in a year or two. How much better or worse are we in 2 years with Igor vs dylan? This year is the issue for now, I don't know where to go with this.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
At 8.25m, Shesterkin is around 1,400,000 more in taxes signing here than in Dallas, per year. Obviously, we don't know signing bonus, and then you'll have to figure out the breakdown on which teams they play, although Dallas is more favorable in that area consider they play multiple games against teams like Nashville, Seattle and Vegas. Add in a living and life style expenses and it's easy to see how much more a player would need to make in NY to match Dallas. With that I still stick with the thought process that it's just too much.

If you say Shesterkin is worth 9.5 in Dallas, than he needs to sign for way over 12.5 to make the difference. (That is obviously dependent on multiple things)
At the beginning of the offseason when posted that Igor might be asking for 11.5 I received pushback.
I then used two separate relocation calculators based on Hellebuyck current contract and it showed NYC to Dallas, Igor would earn 11.5 million and NYC to Winnipeg, Igor would earn 12.5 million.
Hope Igor’s agent doesn’t follow our threads.
If so, this is all on me.
:eek3:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The other issue is I don't think these penalties are a new thing. Just looking at his AHL numbers he played 43 games last year and had PIM (not divisible by 5) in 16 of them. That's a ton of penalties. I'm excluding the ones divisible by 5 since those were likely fights. The year before that was 15/53.

So ~31 times causing his team to be shorthanded in 96 games. That is not good for a depth player who isn't going to play much or help you out on special teams. That's like the equivalent of an additional 5-6 goals against with an 80% PK. It's also a large increase over the alternative when you consider that Brodzinski has 42 PIM in his career and Vesey averages ~20/year.
Sure but Vesey and Brodzinski aren’t being dressed for their physicality. Different roles. I still think a shorthand situation every three games is not too often… especially considering role.
Whatever. It’s a subjective call. If the coaches think his risks outweigh his rewards then he won’t dress. If they think he brings more positives than negatives then he will. Pretty simple.
BTW how are you filtering out the minors where he took someone off with him? There a site with that info?

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As much as I love Igor, I’d pull the 8x$11M from the table. He’s worth it, but we’re not in a position to give a completely market-resetting deal
The dumb thing is that it's not gonna reset the market. Who's next behind Igor who is gonna command that money after Ottenger, Ullmark and Swayman signed in the 8s? Imo we're the only ones who are gonna have a 11+ goalie for the foreseeable future.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Sure but Vesey and Brodzinski aren’t being dressed for their physicality. Different roles. I still think a shorthand situation every three games is not too often… especially considering role.
No no youre missing it, its "an additional shorthanded situation"
Which is an extra goal every 4 penalties.

So over the course of last season that would've changed us from a +53 to a +30ish (give or take)

+53 was top 10 in the league.
+30 would be wildcard playoff team.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I love Igor but giving him more than 10 million is a big mistake. Ive seen Matt Murray, Corey Crawford x2, Antii Niemi, and Aden Hill win cups. You dont need elite goaltending to win it all and you definitely dont overpay for it

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm a little peeved that everyone else is signing their goalies in the 8's and we're here hoping our guy signs for 11.5. And it's not the actual dollar I'm annoyed at, it's that Shesterkin, knowing where this teams stands cap wise, is willing to handicap us for competing against teams like Dallas, Boston, etc. I believe Igor is a top 2 or 3 goalie in the league, but I also don't think he can replace 4 million dollars worth of extra offense or defense, or maybe even more if you saved it for the deadline. Personally I think Garand is an nhl starter, maybe not now but in a year or two. How much better or worse are we in 2 years with Igor vs dylan? This year is the issue for now, I don't know where to go with this.
Igor is much better than those guys

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not an expert on American taxes, but even I know taxes don't work that way.

The "no state tax" teams have a slight benefit, but it's not the difference of 4M AAV
He probably thinks folks in Texas don’t even pay federal taxes, bastards.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The dumb thing is that it's not gonna reset the market. Who's next behind Igor who is gonna command that money after Ottenger, Ullmark and Swayman signed in the 8s? Imo we're the only ones who are gonna have a 11+ goalie for the foreseeable future.
This. Who’s a goalie who’s at this level and will be signing new contract within the next couple of years? I’d give Shesterkin $11+m per but seeing where all other goalies are coming at indicates that market is not over $11m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad