Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] G Jake Oettinger signs extension with the Stars (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This makes Ullmark's deal look like a joke.

UFA in an undesirable location vs RFA in a desirable location that already has built a relationship and history with the team.

Ullmark probably should have gotten somewhere closer to 7M if you go by historical comparisons, but it shouldn't surprise anybody that a Canadian team, let alone the Senators, have to overpay to keep talent.

It's pretty clear that there is an established floor being set that if a goalie is a top 10 goalie in the league, now they are getting 8M instead of 6.5M. The real franchise goalies are going to get 12M-13M instead of 10M-11M.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He has a very good case to be making 15-20% more than Bobrovsky given his stats and advanced stats the past 3 seasons and playoffs.

Keep in mind when comparing to Swayman and Oettinger, who he has outperformed by a massive margin, that he is a pending UFA not an RFA.

Any middle of the pack team with cap space would throw that money at him because he's currently turning a middle of the pack NYR team into a consistent cup contender.

And what about Hellybuck who’s underlying numbers in the regular season are better and he has a vezina, in fact he has 2 and one more recently than shesterkin

So NO he doesn’t deserve 15-20%
That is terrible cap management

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ullmark is also 5+ years older. Handing out an 8 year deal to a 31 year old would be pretty dumb

If someone has a constructive reason about why they think Ullmark will not maintain his level of play, and they don't like the contract for that reason, then that is fine. I don't agree with the idea that the contract was way out of line with the market. Anybody still clinging to that has not been paying attention, or is severely underrating the statistical case Ullmark had, and where it places him in comparison to other active goalies.

If anything, these signings established that the Ullmark contract is where the market is at. Markstrom is the closest comparable and his contract would be about 7M when adjusted for the cap next year, but Markstrom also never won a Vezina. So even before accounting for the obvious rise in salary expectations happening based on the rising cap, 7M was the floor for Ullmark.

It's increasingly obvious that 8M is the new norm for a top 10 goalie who isn't a prime Carey Price franchise 1-man team type goalie. Shesterkin will get the new Carey Price money, which will be close to 13M.

In theory, Oettinger is giving up 2 RFA years. Ullmark's contract is entirely UFA years. He also signed it as a mercenary with no ties to Ottawa. Ottawa doesn't have the tax advantages Dallas does. Judging by no-trade lists, they are one of the least desirable destinations in the city. The fact that they got Ullmark for what they did, while giving up limited term, is a pretty big win in that context.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Igor is about to look real stupid with his 12m ask, especially considering he plays for a contender in the most desirable destination to play in the league. Lol
How is that the most desirable location to live in? 50 million dollars can’t buy a home worth living in, in New York City. 10 acres of land alone is probably worth 500 million in Manhattan let alone affording a house to build on that. Delusional opinion. Unless you’re a wallstreet guy people don’t wanna be crammed in a condo with no privacy.

• Haha
Reactions: Leafshater67

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
And what about Hellybuck who’s underlying numbers in the regular season are better and he has a vezina, in fact he has 2 and one more recently than shesterkin

So NO he doesn’t deserve 15-20%
That is terrible cap management
Team with much better underlying metrics. His underlying metrics the past 3 seasons + playoffs combined are not better than Shesterkin. He's performed poorly in the playoffs whereas Shesterkin has been the best goalie in the league analytically the past 3 seasons and playoffs combined.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
His playoff dominance is even MORE pronounced

50 GSAx in the playoffs to Oettingers 10 in the same amount of games.

The rags just f***ing suck

I guess what happened to Hank is happening to Igor.

It’s a shame when you see talented goalies such as Hank, Price, Lu and now Igor never winning a cup due to their team performances. Obviously Igor still has time to do so.

I also didn’t realize how dominant Igor has been in playoffs. That being said, I’m still of the opinion that 12+ for a goalie is too much and will only handicap your team to build a true contender. Especially when guys who are just below Igor’s level are getting 8-9mill and you can easily win with those guys.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Now that is a good deal. I think he's better than Swayman or Ullmark.

Otter is one of my favourite goalies in the league.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Team with much better underlying metrics. His underlying metrics the past 3 seasons + playoffs combined are not better than Shesterkin. He's performed poorly in the playoffs whereas Shesterkin has been the best goalie in the league analytically the past 3 seasons and playoffs combined.

Nope
But nice try though

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
He has a very good case to be making 15-20% more than Bobrovsky given his stats and advanced stats the past 3 seasons and playoffs.

Keep in mind when comparing to Swayman and Oettinger, who he has outperformed by a massive margin, that he is a pending UFA not an RFA.

Any middle of the pack team with cap space would throw that money at him because he's currently turning a middle of the pack NYR team into a consistent cup contender.
Rangers aren’t a middle of the pack team….
Paying $12million+ for a goalie is wild.

*edit. I guess he has been on a pretty underpaid deal the last 3-4 years. So he’s looking for some makeup pay eh?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I guess what happened to Hank is happening to Igor.

It’s a shame when you see talented goalies such as Hank, Price, Lu and now Igor never winning a cup due to their team performances. Obviously Igor still has time to do so.

I also didn’t realize how dominant Igor has been in playoffs. That being said, I’m still of the opinion that 12+ for a goalie is too much and will only handicap your team to build a true contender. Especially when guys who are just below Igor’s level are getting 8-9mill and you can easily win with those guys.
Igor has been the best goalie in the playoffs in each of the last 3 years

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Rangers aren’t a middle of the pack team….
Paying $12million+ for a goalie is wild.

*edit. I guess he has been on a pretty underpaid deal the last 3-4 years. So he’s looking for some makeup pay eh?
If Igor wasn't carrying them they would be. In fact, in the playoffs, they've been a lot worse than mid.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Man it's still so crazy to me that one of the best goaltenders in the league will only make 8.25M per season for 8 years but an absolute scrub in the NBA who plays like 12 minutes per night can make 10M per year on a 4 year contract then somehow get a pay raise.
There will be no Naji Marshall slander on this board. The man is Jimmy Butler without a whistle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad