Da Power Play

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So, if the PP does well in the playoffs, for example, will it be on Therrien or that Markov and Subban are awesome?
Don't know. We may run into a cold goalie or we may make adjustments. I can't tell you why we might do well until I see why we're doing well.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Eller has had a few nice PP shifts, but let's not get carried away. That's a pretty small sample size.

Well, let's increase the sample size and see what happens.

Anything is better than the garbage PP we've been icing.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Don't know. We may run into a cold goalie or we may make adjustments. I can't tell you why we might do well until I see why we're doing well.

Funny. I have a hunch it won't go in Michel's favour. Same way if Sekac is out of the league in 2 years time I don't think many people will say that Therrien saw that the kid was nothing special and will give him credit for it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Funny. I have a hunch it won't go in Michel's favour. Same way if Sekac is out of the league in 2 years time I don't think many people will say that Therrien saw that the kid was nothing special and will give him credit for it.
I can't shadow box with you here. If the PP does well, we can talk about it then. If it's a cold goalie that's one thing, if it's consistent pressure and us screening the goalie that's another.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I can't shadow box with you here. If the PP does well, we can talk about it then. If it's a cold goalie that's one thing, if it's consistent pressure and us screening the goalie that's another.

and that obviously won't be on Subban taking some bombs from the point or Markov doing his thing on the point if a goalie is actually playing well?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
and that obviously won't be on Subban taking some bombs from the point or Markov doing his thing on the point if a goalie is actually playing well?
You're asking me to voice my opinion on something that hasn't happened... like I said, ask me when it does.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Well, let's increase the sample size and see what happens.

Anything is better than the garbage PP we've been icing.

Lord knows the 130-game "sample size" with Gallagher and DD has long reached its expiry date.

In chatting with M-A Godin the other day..the one constant on the PP the past couple of years has been Clem Jodoin. I don't recall him being a great coach the last time around..nor a great coach in the AHL...have no idea why he's a coach in the NHL TBH...other than he's a francophone, and it's been decided that every single coach on the Hab staff has to be French.

Bad enough that the club hamstrings itself to approximately 15 per cent of the top coaching candidates every time it hires a French head coach...but by the time you get around to hiring the fifth French coach for the staff..the odds drop well below one per cent that you are really getting the best candidate available. the odds that at any one time the five best coaches available for a coaching staff would all be French are...well I'd hate to calculate the odds..you may have better odds of winning the lottery.

Does even the coach who spends most of the time in the stands have to be French? Sure wish the organization had the balls to disregard this silly unwritten code...penalizes the club like no other sports organization in North America.

Apparently it is more important that every coach be able to speak to the French media..this is considered more important than winning a championship. Could you not have a few assistants that could do that? How come it'snot a huge issue for French journalists to translate what an English player on the Habs says...but it is impossible to do so for a coach? It starts to give one the impression that most French journalists..if they had the choice..would rather the club had a French coach than win a Stanley Cup. I can't for the life of me figure out why...it screams of insecurity.

Please...let's not bring out the race card here..I've defended the French coach scenario for the past three decades...but it's clearly harming the team immeasurably.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Lord knows the 130-game "sample size" with Gallagher and DD has long reached its expiry date.

In chatting with M-A Godin the other day..the one constant on the PP the past couple of years has been Clem Jodoin. I don't recall him being a great coach the last time around..nor a great coach in the AHL...have no idea why he's a coach in the NHL TBH...other than he's a francophone, and it's been decided that every single coach on the Hab staff has to be French.

Bad enough that the club hamstrings itself to approximately 15 per cent of the top coaching candidates every time it hires a French head coach...but by the time you get around to hiring the fifth French coach for the staff..the odds drop well below one per cent that you are really getting the best candidate available. the odds that at any one time the five best coaches available for a coaching staff would all be French are...well I'd hate to calculate the odds..you may have better odds of winning the lottery.

Does even the coach who spends most of the time in the stands have to be French? Sure wish the organization had the balls to disregard this silly unwritten code...penalizes the club like no other sports organization in North America.

Apparently it is more important that every coach be able to speak to the French media..this is considered more important than winning a championship. Could you not have a few assistants that could do that? How come it'snot a huge issue for French journalists to translate what an English player on the Habs says...but it is impossible to do so for a coach? It starts to give one the impression that most French journalists..if they had the choice..would rather the club had a French coach than win a Stanley Cup. I can't for the life of me figure out why...it screams of insecurity.

Please...let's not bring out the race card here..I've defended the French coach scenario for the past three decades...but it's clearly harming the team immeasurably.

Errr... what?
:huh:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Not like Julien, Vigneault, Martin and who have you are chumps either. Main reason why Therrien's assistants are french guys is the same reason other teams don't hire french guys. It's a people's business and you go hire people you mesh with. Therrien comes from the Q, so he developed relationships with people in the Q. Others who coached in the WHL developed relationships with people of that part of the world. You only have to look at the Canucks for instance. Since Linden has taken over, everything revolves around the MH Tigers. Why would he restrict himself to this tiny part of the world? Because that's the part he knows.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Not like Julien, Vigneault, Martin and who have you are chumps either. Main reason why Therrien's assistants are french guys is the same reason other teams don't hire french guys. It's a people's business and you go hire people you mesh with. Therrien comes from the Q, so he developed relationships with people in the Q. Others who coached in the WHL developed relationships with people of that part of the world.

I undertsand that. Grant wrote that every coach on the staff "has" to be French. As if it was a team policy. We had plenty of anglophone assistants in past.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I undertsand that. Grant wrote that every coach on the staff "has" to be French. As if it was a team policy. We had plenty of anglophone assistants in past.

We are in the same fn boat with our Coaching Staff as we are with our players.
The cream of the crop are ALL elsewhere.
The worst of it is most of them prefer to be elsewhere and openly admit it.
So what do the media do?
They glorify the half assed talent we do have and make it impossible to move them.

With all the accolades given to our scouting system we sure have bad luck with home grown? :shakehead

Oh and yes I do find this is directly affecting our PP to tie it in properly...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Because there is no such policy, and Grant was talking out of his ass on the French issue because he wanted to push his agenda.

Oh wait I'm sorry, he clearly added this disclaimer:

Grant McCagg said:

Looks like we can't question his motives here, he's defended the "french coach scenario" for three, THREE, decades. But now, today, he woke up and after three decades, he's doing a 180 and it's harming the team immeasurably all the way to #1. OH THE HARM! :sarcasm:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Eller has had a few nice PP shifts, but let's not get carried away. That's a pretty small sample size.

Yes it is a small sample but it was still positive.

The biggest sample is that our PP sucked pretty much all season, without Eller on it on a regular basis so it is worth the try giving him more ice-time on the PP, he can't be much worse that the forwards we have in there.

The only forwards that needs to play on the PP every time is Pacioretty and Galchenyuk because of their shot, the rest can alternate.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The only way I can see the PP getting hot in the playoffs is if they get Boston. That's the only team they consistently get pressure and score goals on with the man advantage.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I think we should correct a term often used in these discussions: A Habs Coach is NOT required to be "French," but rather should be "bilingual."

It's an important distinction imo.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
But then it reverts just the same...:p:

If they haven't changed the strategy of it for 3 seasons, and it's been garbage for 3 season after being 1st or 2nd for quite a while. Why would they change it now? This is what it's going to be, plain and simple.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Anyone able to locate just power play shoy totals per team per season? I may be missing it on nhl.com? Might be something to look at for the sake of discussion.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The PP is predictable, most assets aren't utilized to their strengths, and we can't gain the zone cleanly - ever.

Recipe for disaster. What I probably hate the most about Therrien is that he seems to plan while completely disregarding the fact different players have different skill sets and thus should be used to best fit their abilities. The fact Pacioretty is so rarely in position to that a good shot on net is maddening and a big reason why Subban is so easy to cover on the point as he remains the only decent scoring threat.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The PP is predictable, most assets aren't utilized to their strengths, and we can't gain the zone cleanly - ever.

Recipe for disaster. What I probably hate the most about Therrien is that he seems to plan while completely disregarding the fact different players have different skill sets and thus should be used to best fit their abilities. The fact Pacioretty is so rarely in position to that a good shot on net is maddening and a big reason why Subban is so easy to cover on the point as he remains the only decent scoring threat.

What I don't get is this insistence on having Markov get the puck on the point and skate it down to the goal line while all 3 forwards move to the other side for one timers. All the 4 defenders do is stand in the lane and he skates himself down and has to ring it around the boards.

It accomplishes NOTHING, and they continue to do it. So pointless.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

The PP is very predictable. It seems like the strategy is centered around Markov and Subban which makes it easy to defend. Teams could just overload on them and force turnovers. A big challenge also is their puck movement, rarely this season have the Habs moved the puck well for a constant amount of time. Even if they did mange to cycle the puck it usually ends up with PK taking the shot. The Habs PP in 2007-08 was deadly because not only did it have great puck movement but also multiple scoring threats, Kovalev at the half boards, Streit at the point with his shot and Markov pinching down the left side, the Habs PP in 08 had multiple ways of scoring which made them hard to defend. This year's PP doesn't seem to have that at all, it is usually Subban or bust.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The PP is very predictable. It seems like the strategy is centered around Markov and Subban which makes it easy to defend. Teams could just overload on them and force turnovers. A big challenge also is their puck movement, rarely this season have the Habs moved the puck well for a constant amount of time. Even if they did mange to cycle the puck it usually ends up with PK taking the shot. The Habs PP in 2007-08 was deadly because not only did it have great puck movement but also multiple scoring threats, Kovalev at the half boards, Streit at the point with his shot and Markov pinching down the left side, the Habs PP in 08 had multiple ways of scoring which made them hard to defend. This year's PP doesn't seem to have that at all, it is usually Subban or bust.

We don't have that forward who strikes fear into a Dman like Kovy could.
It wasn't only a question of getting beat. It was a question of looking foolish while getting beat.
Eller seems to be able to back the D off when he carries but either his lack of reps or his confidence are holding him back from setting up properly. We talk a lot about the first pass out of our zone it is exactly the same for the PP.
If the first pass in the O zone is not on point we are likely looking at another 200ft of real estate.
This has been our greatest issue we are fine once we have zone time but we just don't get zone time due to poor puck management.

The overall game coach has us play is very detrimental to individual skills.
We are the worst team in living memory with an odd man advantage. (2yrs running)
Yet most of the players have demonstrated the ability to execute in the past?
This leads me to believe it is not high priority on coach' list.
This all adds up to a stinker of a PP with no relief in sight. :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad