Da Power Play

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
1) No not really, not from our perspective at least and results across tend to support that the information on how to run a PP is well spread around the league and no coach really has an edge over any other coach.
2) In most cases yes. Unless you have extremely good players like Malkin and Crosby on your PP or extremely bad players like Buffalo. About every team has good players on their first PP unit. Even a team like Arizona had guys like OEL and Yandle on the point.
3) No but the difference isn't as big as people make it out it be and it surely isn't because of the PP.

Is having a good PP on the road more predictive than having a good PP at home? If it was the other way around would you tell us that we can't accept that Habs aren't ready for home games and that definitely rests on the coach?

Since Therrien has been here, the Habs' PP sits 15th in the league. Nothing special, nothing incredibly bad either.

So your conclusion:
1) All the coach are almost the same so you put any other NHL coach with the Habs and we should have the same result

2) The same as before but express in a different ways, means it's a random thing

3) The same as before but express in a different way with a little difference: MT is as a good coach as Hack's coach and people have nothing to said he is bad because of PP unsuccess

Your big conclusion is that MT have nothing to reproch himself for the unsuccess PP.
The PP cant be better and any others coach will had the same result
You see the habs PP 15th in the league when it's a long time that he is worst than that

I'm sure right now the Habs staf have a headache to find a solution with the PP
So the PP is not good

HabsDieHard*

So your conclusion:
1) Coach dont make difference in PP
2) PP is simply a random thing
3) MT is has good coach as Hawks coach

Right now the PP is 26th and one the worst in the road
Habs have bad PP stats for a long time enough to conclude that they have bad PP under MT

Where you see the good ?

:laugh:

The Therrien apologists are having a rough go of things lately.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
So your conclusion:
1) All the coach are almost the same so you put any other NHL coach with the Habs and we should have the same result

you can put the same coach and you'd have different results. That's what randomness is.

Your big conclusion is that MT have nothing to reproch himself for the unsuccess PP.
The PP cant be better and any others coach will had the same result
You see the habs PP 15th in the league when it's a long time that he is worst than that

I'm sure right now the Habs staf have a headache to find a solution with the PP
So the PP is not good

My conclusion is that people on this board don't know what the hell is going on inside and you can't make a judgement based on PP%.

:laugh:

Ok dude, so your constant demands for MT getting credit in your theoretical future events is merely for consistency?

Apparently I can't call myself a troll, so yes to your question ;)

On a (very, and overly simplified) level, a team's power play can be represented as a binomial distribution. Under that assumption, there are statistical tests to show the plausibility that two outcomes (season one PP% and season two PP%) came from the same distribution (implying that the difference is just statistical randomness).

Ultimately, I'd expect a very wide range of outcomes just due to statistical randomness, and here's why:

Suppose that a team's "true" power-play ability results in a 20% success rate, and that they get 280 power-play attempts in a season. Assuming a binomial distribution, we'd expect a 95% confidence interval (plus/minus two standard deviations) to result in between 42.6 and 69.4 power play goals on those 280 chances.

What that means is that, for a team with a "true" 20% success rate, the range of outcomes over a season sample will be between 15.2% and 24.8%. You'll notice that last year, nearly every NHL team was in that range:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...l&sort=powerPlayPercentage&viewName=powerPlay

This was a long-winded way just to say that I agree with the poster above me. ;)

Last edited:

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
You can't put all the fault on the coaching staff (MT is not alone and has assistant coaches to work with). On the ice, the players need to create the space, the passing and the shooting lanes by themselves too.

I think PP has to get back to basic things, and goals will come.

1. Play smarter and better, be more hungry, move your feet and the puck more efficiently, create space, passing and shooting lanes.
2. Put way more traffic in front of the net, with bigger bodies.
3. Hit the net (not the defender) with good shots from the point.

The habs will need their PP to succeed in the POs. Last playoffs they hit 24 % on the road (19.7 % total), after finishing 19th during the regular season (17%). The key for me is that this team elevates its game when it really count. The spring in Montreal often brings the best from the players, so we can still hope for good things to happen ;)

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
you can put the same coach and you'd have different results. That's what randomness is.

My conclusion is that people on this board don't know what the hell is going on inside and you can't make a judgement based on PP%.

Apparently I can't call myself a troll, so yes to your question ;)

I think you really like randomness because your answer are less relevant and more random

So finally the big conclusion:
We cant criticize the coach because we dont know what happens inside
The problem with that is that it didnt prove that yours points are better
Finaly I think you dont want people to criticize MT PP unsuccess managment.

You know you have the right to said that MT is a good coach and his PP managment is OK and that any other coach will make no difference

But for me it make no sense

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
You can't put all the fault on the coaching staff (MT is not alone and has assistant coaches to work with). On the ice, the players need to create the space, the passing and the shooting lanes by themselves too.

I think PP has to get back to basic things, and goals will come.

1. Play smarter and better, be more hungry, move your feet and the puck more efficiently, create space, passing and shooting lanes.
2. Put way more traffic in front of the net, with bigger bodies.
3. Hit the net (not the defender) with good shots from the point.

The habs will need their PP to succeed in the POs. Last playoffs they hit 24 % on the road (19.7 % total), after finishing 19th during the regular season (17%). The key for me is that this team elevates its game when it really count. The spring in Montreal often brings the best from the players, so we can still hope for good things to happen ;)

For me the first step will be simply change the PP first unity with DD-Pach
MT always coming back with the same unity without success

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Habs don't have a PP. It's just an extension of the other teams penalty kill especially on the road..

Seriously though it's been almost 2 full seasons now of having a brutal PP and yet the Habs continue to send out the same ineffective PP lines without trying anything different and it's very frustrating to watch. Scoring only 11 PP goals in 38 road games (11 for 105 - 10.5%) is really sad.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Who woulda thunk five stationary players and two defenseman usually not on their one time sides with a midget center that "screens" who usually loses the offensive zone draw wouldnt be effective.

Coaching staff of your Montreal Canadiens ladies and gentlemen...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
DD's Day Will Come

I think MT believes he just has to be patient and wait a little longer for this.

seriously expectations are so low right now that if we were to finish the year with the 21st best PP it would be like DD's Great Redemption

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
The Habs don't have a PP. It's just an extension of the other teams penalty kill especially on the road..

Seriously though it's been almost 2 full seasons now of having a brutal PP and yet the Habs continue to send out the same ineffective PP lines without trying anything different and it's very frustrating to watch. Scoring only 11 PP goals in 38 road games (11 for 105 - 10.5%) is really sad.

It's like slot machine
Try and try and try and wish that something from nowhere will make thing work regularly

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
DD's Day Will Come

I think MT believes he just has to be patient and wait a little longer for this.

seriously expectations are so low right now that if we were to finish the year with the 21st best PP it would be like DD's Great Redemption

The PP has been awful for almost 2 years now so he must have way more patience for failure than what I do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad