D Ty Nelson - North Bay Battalion, OHL (2022, 68th, SEA)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Closing in for the 100 point mark. (76+19)
so 5 points shy of triple digits and 2 goals shy of 30 goals.

has 350+ shots on goal. is +35 and 20 penalty minutes shy of 100 penalty minutes

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Nelson is certainly more dominant at this level than the last Battalion defenseman to get drafted relatively high, Cam Dineen, who has just now started to get games in the nhl. Nelson reminds me a lot of Kris Russell in his junior days in play style, Russell really changed his style to stay in the nhl though since things were so different for undersized D in his time. I believe Nelson could focus more on D like Russell did, he’s a warrior and very smart at both ends. I think his development will depend on opportunity, if he gets on a team with a strong pp qb I could see him settling into a bottom four responsible two way guy, but if he gets a crack at a top PP unit I wouldn’t be surprised if his shot kept him on it. His one timer is just light years ahead of the ohl goalies trying to stop it.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Seattle has drafted really well so far, Nelson is a very good pick for that D core, they’ll be in good hands on the backend for a little while if both him and Ryker Evans can translate to the NHL level.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Nelson is certainly more dominant at this level than the last Battalion defenseman to get drafted relatively high, Cam Dineen, who has just now started to get games in the nhl. Nelson reminds me a lot of Kris Russell in his junior days in play style, Russell really changed his style to stay in the nhl though since things were so different for undersized D in his time. I believe Nelson could focus more on D like Russell did, he’s a warrior and very smart at both ends. I think his development will depend on opportunity, if he gets on a team with a strong pp qb I could see him settling into a bottom four responsible two way guy, but if he gets a crack at a top PP unit I wouldn’t be surprised if his shot kept him on it. His one timer is just light years ahead of the ohl goalies trying to stop it.
Dineen looks to be a career AHLer at this point..
As for Nelson .. haven’t seen him this season but in previous viewings I saw a physical beast making ,at times , some questionable decisions defensively .That said his offensive numbers are off the charts and i’m wondering how much of that can be attributed to him simply overpowering /physically dominating the opposition ?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Dineen looks to be a career AHLer at this point..
As for Nelson .. haven’t seen him this season but in previous viewings I saw a physical beast making ,at times , some questionable decisions defensively .That said his offensive numbers are off the charts and i’m wondering how much of that can be attributed to him simply overpowering /physically dominating the opposition ?
Yeah, i think Nelson is a next step up, or frankly two steps up from Dineen. So I think he can make the NHL and carve out a niche for himself. I think the big thing about Nelson's defense is that he sacrifices a lot of his defensive positioning for aggressive plays because so much of the offense from the blueline for the Battalion comes from him (much like Russell in his time in Medicine Hat, except that Russell's forward core was very much worse). If he takes a step back and plays more conservatively I think he'll quickly show himself as very talented in his own end.

That said, I think a lot of his offense will dry up at first in the AHL and NHL because of his physical gifts allowing him to dominate in the OHL like you mentioned. Especially his shot being already NHL level, its scares a lot of the teams he is up against. So I think he'll need a place on the PP to get his offense untracked at the higher levels, which I suspect he'll get at the AHL level but I'm less confident at the NHL level. If he sticks as a mostly 5 on 5 guy at the NHL level I think him being a Russell-like 20-30 point tough as nails smaller defenseman in the 4-6 slot is where he probably fits.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Just saw some clips of him mic'd up at Kraken camp... seems like he's quite the guy.. funny and always loud and joking around... I haven't really heard much about him but his stats for a dman were outstanding... could he potentially be a steal down the road??

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Ty is nothing if not charismatic. He runs the show at any battalion events i have taken my kids to in the last couple years. He's my sons favourite player.

I think its obvious this year that the Kraken coaches talked to him about his defensive commitment. He has definitely focused more on his own end throughout the year with varying results I think. I was thinking at the game last night how obvious it was that he picked his spots when to rush the puck and it was really clear when the coaches released him (and J Leblanc) to drive the offense when the battalion went down in the third.

Despite his slight step back in counting stats this year I think this year will serve him really well in the long run. He's still not always making the right read but he's playing a much calmer game in his own end. I don't have the stats but he felt much lower event this year and that was a good trade off for him on a D core that was much weaker until the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad