D Tom Willander - Boston University, NCAA (2023, 11th, VAN)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Looked fantastic over the weekend on the top-pairing. Just a huge eraser defensively with his skating and battle.

I wonder if Tom will get the short end of Politics like fellow prospect Hunter Brustewicz. It might not be in Tom's favour that he decided to pass on the SHL and transfer to NCAA in regards to making Team Sweden WJC this month.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Looked fantastic over the weekend on the top-pairing. Just a huge eraser defensively with his skating and battle.

I wonder if Tom will get the short end of Politics like fellow prospect Hunter Brustewicz. It might not be in Tom's favour that he decided to pass on the SHL and transfer to NCAA in regards to making Team Sweden WJC this month.
the difference is Tom is a good player.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If Willander wants to play his role in the top pair, I do believe he needs to gain 15-20 Lbs in the next 2 years. Esp if he's earmarked to play with Quinn Hughes.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Watched all of Willander's games for BU since Tuch and Hutson are on that team, and he has just been all-around impressive from my viewings.

As a skater he is fast, agile, his edges and balance are really refined too, and Willander is also very sound defensively overall while also being hard to beat physically at the NCAA level.

Willander's ability to break-out the puck either with control or a pass are similarly impressive, as are his puck-management skills and the angles he takes in pursuit of the puck.

Offensively, I was less impressed as Willander pretty much came "as advertised" and isn't an overly creative player by nature (more a simple plays type of guy), doesn't have much more than an average shot, no great dekes, nor does he track to be a primary puck-distributor at the NHL level.

But the one thing he does tremendously well offensively, quite a bit better than I would have expected given what I saw of him last year, is how he supports the play.

Basic, down-to-earth putting yourself in good spots on the ice, offering your teammates passing options while simultaneously also allowing you to cover them if they miss/blow and edge.

And while it's simple to talk about it, it's no easy thing to do. Moreso as a rookie defenseman in a system like the one BU is currently employing, where players like Celebrini and Hutson have the greenlight to take as many chances as they wish to and will permute a LOT position-wise in the offensive zone or in transition.

So yeah, Willander has been really good this year (nevermind what the stat-watchers say), showing some pretty clear signs of progression to my eyes, and Canucks' fans should/will be very happy when he eventually makes it to the show.

I've actually liked his performance better than Reinbacher's this year, though the latter plays in a harder league, on a worse team, and has been injured this season, so there is that.

Anyways, that's it from me. Cheers and have a good evening.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Willander is a way better prospect than Brz and there’s no question he is absolutely one of the top young Swedish defenseman and should they pick a few underagers would absolutely be on the top of the list.

Brz getting left off ultimately has more to do with the experience and shape of Team USA at RHD than him getting screwed - although I’d agree not being on the prelim roster is absurd.

The situations really aren’t comparable. ASP probably gets selected above Willander among Swedish 05’s given the track record but that’s about it, the rest just depends on how many 05’s they want to take. For the record I think Willander is a better pro prospect than ASP.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If Willander wants to play his role in the top pair, I do believe he needs to gain 15-20 Lbs in the next 2 years. Esp if he's earmarked to play with Quinn Hughes.

He is already 6'2 - 190 lbs

20 lbs? Why does he have to be 210lbs?

Though i dont doubt he will naturally be around 200lbs as his playing weight in the pros, I dont agree that he has to be 210 lbs or more to be a top pairing.

Hronek is killing it with Q Hughes and Willander is already bigger and heavier than Hronek who is 6'0 190 lbs.

others that have excelled with Q Hughes. Chris Tanev 6'2- 190 lbs.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Watched all of Willander's games for BU since Tuch and Hutson are on that team, and he has just been all-around impressive from my viewings.

As a skater he is fast, agile, his edges and balance are really refined too, and Willander is also very sound defensively overall while also being hard to beat physically at the NCAA level.

Willander's ability to break-out the puck either with control or a pass are similarly impressive, as are his puck-management skills and the angles he takes in pursuit of the puck.

Offensively, I was less impressed as Willander pretty much came "as advertised" and isn't an overly creative player by nature (more a simple plays type of guy), doesn't have much more than an average shot, no great dekes, nor does he track to be a primary puck-distributor at the NHL level.

But the one thing he does tremendously well offensively, quite a bit better than I would have expected given what I saw of him last year, is how he supports the play.

Basic, down-to-earth putting yourself in good spots on the ice, offering your teammates passing options while simultaneously also allowing you to cover them if they miss/blow and edge.

And while it's simple to talk about it, it's no easy thing to do. Moreso as a rookie defenseman in a system like the one BU is currently employing, where players like Celebrini and Hutson have the greenlight to take as many chances as they wish to and will permute a LOT position-wise in the offensive zone or in transition.

So yeah, Willander has been really good this year (nevermind what the stat-watchers say), showing some pretty clear signs of progression to my eyes, and Canucks' fans should/will be very happy when he eventually makes it to the show.

I've actually liked his performance better than Reinbacher's this year, though the latter plays in a harder league, on a worse team, and has been injured this season, so there is that.

I'd take it even further. I think he's played better than both Reinbacher and Simashev.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He is already 6'2 - 190 lbs

20 lbs? Why does he have to be 210lbs?

Though i dont doubt he will naturally be around 200lbs as his playing weight in the pros, I dont agree that he has to be 210 lbs or more to be a top pairing.

Hronek is killing it with Q Hughes and Willander is already bigger and heavier than Hronek who is 6'0 190 lbs.

others that have excelled with Q Hughes. Chris Tanev 6'2- 190 lbs.
Where was he listed at 6'2, 190? Elite prospects had him at 6'1, 179 which could be out of date. The minimum weight for him to play a defensive role would be 195.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Where was he listed at 6'2, 190? Elite prospects had him at 6'1, 179 which could be out of date. The minimum weight for him to play a defensive role would be 195.

BU has him listed at 6'1 190lbs which was his measurements at the start of College Season in September. BU coach Pandolfo has said in interviews that Willander has gotten even stronger and bigger since the start of the season which is why the NCAA was a great fit for Tom because they only play on weekends and the rest of the week is focused on strength and skills trainings.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

BU has him listed at 6'1 190lbs which was his measurements at the start of College Season in September. BU coach Pandolfo has said in interviews that Willander has gotten even stronger and bigger since the start of the season which is why the NCAA was a great fit for Tom because they only play on weekends and the rest of the week is focused on strength and skills trainings.
I dont know what his true height and weight is and its pointless to follow, brings me back to some of the posters here arguing Podkolzin is 6'4. but my 20 Lb suggestion is based on his non BU profile. To be able to do everything a successful defensive D should do, 200Lb would be a good bar to set his sights on. If hes already there great.

Reactions: wetcoast

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I dont know what his true height and weight is and its pointless to follow, brings me back to some of the posters here arguing Podkolzin is 6'4. but my 20 Lb suggestion is based on his non BU profile. To be able to do everything a successful defensive D should do, 200Lb would be a good bar to set his sights on. If hes already there great.

He doesnt profile as a Defensive-Dman though, like a Radko Gudas or Erik Cernak per say...He's a 2way very mobile Dman with strong defensive attributes. Similar to someone like Mackenzie Weegar. I dont think he will need to be at 210+ to be successfull in the NHL. He will hover around 195-205lbs imo. extra weight could just hinder his agility and skating ability unnecessarily.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s gonna get some great experience at World Juniors. Was concerned they’d pass him over this year, but looks like he got the call. We’ll have to see how much he plays, as that d-core is loaded, but it’ll be a great confidence booster for next year regardless.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

Appreciate this!

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I'd take it even further. I think he's played better than both Reinbacher and Simashev.
Willander is the best defenceman in his class. A forward who turned defenceman less than two years ago and is already elite defensively. Along with his elite skating ability, the potential is sky high with him, has everything you want in a big minute all situations #1 dman.

Hazy Little Thing

Jan 19, 2022
What are the chances he gets into the top six at WJC competing against ASP, Mattias Havelid, and Anton Johansson?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Young Tom Willander, RHD, will always be compared to RHD Axel Sandin Pellikka.

Hopefully the argument goes like, "Would you rather have a RHD Miro Heiskanen or a RHD Quinn Hughes?"

Reactions: ultra7k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad