D Tom Willander - Boston University, NCAA (2023, 11th, VAN)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Button like most Prospect Experts have their hits and misses. However he was bang on about Virtanen and Juolevi being busts. Only Canuck prospect I think that he was really high on that busted was Hunter Shinkaruk.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So you think it’s likely that an 11th overall pick becomes a top 5 defenseman in the NHL?

Fully with @Juxtaposer on this. I liked the pick and don’t say that about all picks. I think Willander will be good, but it’s very unlikely he’ll be as good as McAvoy.
Being compared to a player doesn’t mean they’ll be as good as them. Play style, draft selection/projection, production, etc are some things that are used to compare prospects to current NHL’ers. McAvoy certainly wasn’t projected to be a top 10 defenseman in the NHL but rather a sure bet #4 guy who could very well become a top 3 defenseman. Obviously we know how that turned out.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Continues to impress. It only took 13 games but it seems he has adjusted to the North American Ice. He has now been promoted to TOP-DPairing for BU and will be partnered with Lane Hutson. Great opportunity to learn for Willander here as he is penciled in to be Q Hughes partner whenever he makes the show.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Watching a few of their games, he’s been one of their best overall defenseman.

Hutson’s play should elevate considerably playing with Willander. Hopefully he leeches off some points.

Reactions: slumpy43

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Continues to impress. It only took 13 games but it seems he has adjusted to the North American Ice. He has now been promoted to TOP-DPairing for BU and will be partnered with Lane Hutson. Great opportunity to learn for Willander here as he is penciled in to be Q Hughes partner whenever he makes the show.

They really need to play Case and Gavin McCarthy together right?

I really like the Willander pick BTW, very impressive physical skills and skating and still learning to play defense after switching from forward.

I don't mind the McAvoy comparison (except not as physical) at the same time in their careers but who knows how it turns out.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
BU Coach and Stanley Cup Champ Jay Pandolfo on his scouting on Tom. (Starts at 2min 30 sec)

- Very Competitive and Athletic
-Very Good defensively
-Elite skater
-Ends opposing offensive plays quickly
- Went through adjustment period for North American Rink size
- North American ice suits Tom's game more with how fast he closes defensively and how he transitions the puck
-Super coachable and always trying to get better
-He has not been outmatched or outmuscled by anyone up to this point even the 23-24 yr olds that they face in College Hockey

Asked to compare Tom with any current or former NHLer. Pandolfo replies:

- He is the type that will log a ton of minutes and play against the other teams best forwards.
-His elite skating will allow him to be on the ice for 25 min a night and he wont get tired
-He could be a top pair guy that compliments a top offensive player or he can be on the 2nd pairing and be used as a shut down guy and face the other teams top player.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
So far I’ve thought that it was smart to put Hutson and WILLANDER together. WILLANDER did get ran a bit tonight .. but thought he responded well. Played a steady game. Not sure he is dynamic offensively but he’s very good defensively and a great skater. Good stick. I liked him a lot tonight. He’s tough too.

He’s quick in closing gaps and has good burst. Also one thing I noticed was that he was always talking to his teammates and always talking to his coaches after like.. every shift.

It was a slog of a game. Games like tonight were NHL style games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad