D Tom Willander - Boston University, NCAA (2023, 11th, VAN)

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ohlund's physical play is too much for Willander he can play the body but he will not crush people like Ohlund did . He's more like Dan Hamhuis

Oooh yeah that’s a better one considering Hammer was a better skater than Ohlund. I thought.

I think the game has changed so much in 20 years, even 10 honestly, that you kind of have to take some liberties with player comparisons. I mean 2 line pass, hybrid icing, I can think of so many changes that came bc this product is what the NHL has wanted since 2004.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
From what I’ve seen Ohlund has been the best comparison thus far. Kinda good at everything, kinda bad at nothing. Skates better though, as you’d expect.

I think Salo with better wheels and a much worse shot was too wordy.

Ohlund was huge, mean, and slow.

Willander is like a smaller Hanifin. Elite skater, high defensive IQ, probably not a PP1 guy but skilled enough to be a decent point producer and quality transition defender.

Brodin is also a decent comparable. So is Hamhuis.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ohlund was huge, mean, and slow.

Willander is like a smaller Hanifin. Elite skater, high defensive IQ, probably not a PP1 guy but skilled enough to be a decent point producer and quality transition defender.

Brodin is also a decent comparable. So is Hamhuis.

Yeah nah, when I think of an all-around, two-way, generally good defenseman for some reason that’s who I think of. I like Hamhuis and Brodin! as better options.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Hughes plays with another smallish offense-oriented skill defender in Filip Hronek and that pairing has been the best in the NHL this year.
smallish :laugh:

Wilander is 6'1 an inch bigger than Hronek so I guess if you put Willander with Hughes we will have two smallish defenders.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
smallish :laugh:

Wilander is 6'1 an inch bigger than Hronek so I guess if you put Willander with Hughes we will have two smallish defenders.
When you compare him with the other minute munching defensive pillars out there, he is lacking weight. Ideal playing weight is probably closer to 200lbs. I compare him with Brodin because he was drafted very slight also... 170? And now his playing weight is 195.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
When you compare him with the other minute munching defensive pillars out there, he is lacking weight. Ideal playing weight is probably closer to 200lbs. I compare him with Brodin because he was drafted very slight also... 170? And now his playing weight is 195.
He also just turned 19 and is atleast 2 years away from the NHl. I'd expect to see another 10-15 pounds of muscle added easily before then.

Regardless, as much as I love Willanders 2 way game and believe he would be able to qb a pp1 I don't think he will ever get that chance in Vancuver and will only be a complimentary player to Q. Hughes, similar to what they will do to Nemec in NJ.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He also just turned 19 and is atleast 2 years away from the NHl. I'd expect to see another 10-15 pounds of muscle added easily before then.

Regardless, as much as I love Willanders 2 way game and believe he would be able to qb a pp1 I don't think he will ever get that chance in Vancuver and will only be a complimentary player to Q. Hughes, similar to what they will do to Nemec in NJ.

Not to take the focus of Willander, but your Nemec reference is flawed. Nemec, who just turned 20, is playing a significant role in the NHL already and that role will only grow as he matures physically and develops his tactical game.

Willander may very well have similar potential but to this point he is playing at a lower level of competition on a dominant team.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Not to take the focus of Willander, but your Nemec reference is flawed. Nemec, who just turned 20, is playing a significant role in the NHL already and that role will only grow as he matures physically and develops his tactical game.

Willander may very well have similar potential but to this point he is playing at a lower level of competition on a dominant team.
I think what he meant is complimentary offensive role. Nemec will play second fiddle to Hughes on the PP for as long as they are both in NJ.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
So he apparently put up good numbers in BU. Comparable to McAvoy or better.

what's the word for this guy? is he in my pool next year or is he still college bound?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
So he apparently put up good numbers in BU. Comparable to McAvoy or better.

what's the word for this guy? is he in my pool next year or is he still college bound?
Still needs at least 1 more year in college to round out his game. Likely signs at the end of next year but may still need a little seasoning in the AHL.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
2022 Forsling or the guy that we traded for Adam Clendening? :D

he has loads of potential. but until he plays in vancouver, thats all that is. McAvoy is the absolute ceiling IMO. Next year without Hutson Canucks can really see what his offensive upside is.
I know that comment was in jest, but the Forsling that's been a stud in the playoffs.

I wouldn't expect McAvoy. He's running about 60 points / 82 games over the past three years. It's unlikely Willander touches those kind of totals. If you can get a Forsling type of player - ~40 points and high end defense, that's the rough upside with Willander and would be a win for the Canucks. Pretty ideal partner for Quinn Hughes on paper.

Also Cole Hutson likely steps onto the PP1 unit for BU from day 1 next year.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I know that comment was in jest, but the Forsling that's been a stud in the playoffs.

I wouldn't expect McAvoy. He's running about 60 points / 82 games over the past three years. It's unlikely Willander touches those guy kind of totals. If you can get a Forsling type of player - ~40 points and high end defense, that's the rough upside with Willander and would be a win for the Canucks. Pretty ideal partner for Quinn Hughes on paper.

Also Cole Hutson likely steps onto the PP1 unit for BU from day 1 next year.
Is Cole as puck dominant as his brother?

I agree, I do not expect WIllander to approach anywhere close to 40 in his first few years. I will remind others that he is still considerably new to his position compared to other prospects, and is very much still learning its nuances. My lofty expectation is he will likely end up something like Brodin defensively. His upside points wise is anyone's guess right now.

he could be a pretty ideal partner for Hughes, which factors into how much Allvin is willing to give to Hronek for how long this off season.

Reactions: Vector

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Is Cole as puck dominant as his brother?

I agree, I do not expect WIllander to approach anywhere close to 40 in his first few years. I will remind others that he is still considerably new to his position compared to other prospects, and is very much still learning its nuances. My lofty expectation is he will likely end up something like Brodin defensively. His upside points wise is anyone's guess right now.

he could be a pretty ideal partner for Hughes, which factors into how much Allvin is willing to give to Hronek for how long this off season.
Cole and Lane are similar. Cole is more cerebral and has a better shot where Lane has better feet and better escapability. Both have great hockey sense and are elite at making plays with the puck at the blueline and across the seam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad