D Tom Willander - Boston University, NCAA (2023, 11th, VAN)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

The Swedish defender was noticeable during the Hlinka and should project as a mid-round pick for next year's draft. He has already played a game in the Allsvenskan which is quite notable for a 16-year-old, he is also playing for Rogle this season after spending the majority of his development in AIK's system which bodes well for the kid - Rogle has been one of Swedens best developmental programs in recent years. I can't wait to see how he plays during his draft year!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Was really impressed with him at the Hlinka.

Great skating and smarts. Looks like a potential top 2 round pick.

Reactions: Grantham

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Was really impressed with him at the Hlinka.

Great skating and smarts. Looks like a potential top 2 round pick.
I liked him a lot when I watched a U17 game last season and was happy to see he was able to continue the same way at the u18 level.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was a fan of him also. Willander, Sandin-Pelikka, and Lindstein were the three Swedish defensemen from that team I thought were good.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
"Willander moves the puck over to Wallinder...and now I'm confused!"

"And Detroit is going for a change. Over the boards for Willander and Wallinder are Johansson and Johansson!"

This kid also plays for Rogle's J20 team. And he's a RD. I won't be surprised to see Detroit pick him in the 4th or later.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
"And Detroit is going for a change. Over the boards for Willander and Wallinder are Johansson and Johansson!"

This kid also plays for Rogle's J20 team. And he's a RD. I won't be surprised to see Detroit pick him in the 4th or later.
More like in the 2nd.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think he can be. Obviously a lot can happen in his draft year but he’s another one of the many modern D-men with a great combination of skating and skill that Sweden has been pumping out in the past years.

How would you rate his puck carrying ability? Shooting/passing?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
How would you rate his puck carrying ability? Shooting/passing?
Puck carrying is good but he tried too much at times and got himself in trouble. Strong mobility and hands though. Good passer too. Didn’t see enough of him to properly assess his shot. I thought he was at his best in the offensive zone though. Made a few nice plays off the blue line and I thought he showed some dynamic ability.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i see he played for alberta at the brick in 2015. is that odd for a swedish kid?

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Can anyone tell me about this guy? Decent size, great skater, good shot. How is his decision making? Is he good defensively? Is he physical? How’s his passing? Who is his nhl comparable and how does he compare to Sandin-Pellikka?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad