D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024, 23rd, ANA)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I forgot which YT video scouting that shared Solberg was developing a touch of offense as the season went. Here's hoping that Solberg does transition from shutdown D and into a 2-way D.

D+0 reg season: 42 games, 5g + 10a = 15 pts (0.36 ppg)
D+0 playoffs: 17 games, 2g + 7a = 9 pts (0.53 ppg)
Worlds: 7 games, 2g + 1a = 3 pts (0.43 ppg)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I mean Clark gets a lot of credit for his picks. So I would give him a leash.

But I wanted this player in Toronto. Why he thinks danflrd is better I don’t know.

But I said the same about Cowan

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Elated the Ducks were able to move up to grab Solberg. I don't think I've ever been this confident about a late first round pick before.

The late first round hasn't been Anaheim's speciality. Hopefully this pick doesn't turn out like Larsson, Perreault or Tracey.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The late first round hasn't been Anaheim's speciality. Hopefully this pick doesn't turn out like Larsson, Perreault or Tracey.
I think Solberg has a higher floor because of what he is (hard hitting defensive D). The question is will he be a 2/3 guy or a #6? Ducks fans hope he hits that 2/3 level, realistically he could be a very solid middle pair guy that compliments one of our more offensive D (Zellweger or Luneau).

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I think Solberg has a higher floor because of what he is (hard hitting defensive D). The question is will he be a 2/3 guy or a #6? Ducks fans hope he hits that 2/3 level, realistically he could be a very solid middle pair guy that compliments one of our more offensive D (Zellweger or Luneau).
I see him as a complimentary piece on defense who we can pair with a #1D or #2D, someone like Beauchemin or Gudas. A future #3-4 guy who can play a physical shutdown role and pair with our best defensemen and play the PK.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I see him as a complimentary piece on defense who we can pair with a #1D or #2D, someone like Beauchemin or Gudas. A future #3-4 guy who can play a physical shutdown role and pair with our best defensemen and play the PK.
Yeah, that's the most likely case probably. There's still a chance he develops offense and becomes more than just a complimentary guy or something goes wrong and he's not more than a bottom pair, but probably more like Beauch/Manson who could play higher than their individual skill because they are a perfect complimentary guy.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Solberg and SIlayev are probably the two D out of this entire draft that I'd want in my top 4 during the playoffs. If they develop anywhere close to their projections, they are both going to be monsters in crunch time. Players that every team wants but can't get unless they draft them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad