D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024, 23rd, ANA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Was at the draft and had a pretty good of the Ducks table. They went through most of the draft looking catatonic and bored. Then around pick 18 or so they started getting animated and I could see Verbeek making multiple calls. Had a feeling a trade was coming.

I liked Solberg and would've liked the Ducks to have had another pick around 14-20 to grab him. Excited and hopeful he develops well.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
If he's still their at 23 the Leafs likely take him and are very very happy about it.
#23 pick is up,, it's the Toronto Maple Leafs

"So boss, we are up. Solberg is still available we gotta take him right, just what we need!"
"Yes boss, surely that is the waay to go we are so happy he's still available"
"...let's do a trade guys, not much happened during this draft, so let's trade to change things up"
"But boss...he's avail..."
"We are trading...good with some action!"

Reactions: Dog and WhatTheDuck

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He will become the most important player in the draft. Because the leafs traded the pick.

Probably better than celebrini now

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Was at the draft and had a pretty good of the Ducks table. They went through most of the draft looking catatonic and bored. Then around pick 18 or so they started getting animated and I could see Verbeek making multiple calls. Had a feeling a trade was coming.

I liked Solberg and would've liked the Ducks to have had another pick around 14-20 to grab him. Excited and hopeful he develops well.

Super f***ing pissed leafs traded away their pick instead of drafting solberg, he's going to be good - basically exactlly what the leafs needed and almost a surefire top 4d

@HanSolo noted that the Ducks' draft table became animated around pick 18. It's quite possible the tentative trade was in place from pick 18 with a player specific contingent. If the player the Ducks didn't want wasn't there, then the trade dissolves. And since the Ducks technically owned pick 23, the Leafs had no chance of selecting Solberg.

Anaheim did something similar to this in the 2019 draft. They had a deal in place to trade picks 29 and 39 for the 18th OA pick, provided the player they wanted was there. Unfortunately, Peyton Krebs was taken at pick 17 to Vegas and the trade with Dallas dissolved.

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
How far is this guy from the NHL?
Realistically still a year or two. Physically he seems to be the most ready player in this class, but he'll still need to add a few pounds of muscle first and will play for a Swedish top-tier team next season first. In 2025-26, I imagine he will come over and play in San Diego for the most time to get accustomed to NA ice.

Reactions: HanSolo and Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How far is this guy from the NHL?

It's guesswork at this point but looks like he'll spend his D+1 season in the SHL, which should be a good step up for him. If he handles that well, given his physical stature, I don't see why there would be any hesitance to start his NA pro career the year after.

The Ducks aren't hurting for D depth, so they won't have any reason to rush him along and will let him set his own timeline based on how ready he shows at camp compared to their other prospects. If he comes into this year's camp looking like an NHL D from day one, maybe the SHL plan goes out the window. Definitely an open ended situation, the Ducks have shown they aren't adverse at all to using the 9 game trial to see if a young prospect is ready, or even adding a bit of gamesmanship to make that trial last right up until WJC camps start.

If I had to put my guess on paper, I would predict that Solberg spends 2024-25 in the SHL, then starts 2025-26 in the AHL before making an NHL debut later in the season.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Anaheim has been one of the top 5 drafting teams over the last decade+ so of course the Leafs would think they're somehow smarter at drafting. This is going to be Travis Konecny all over again (which incidentally Wes Clark also had a hand in). :rolleyes:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's guesswork at this point but looks like he'll spend his D+1 season in the SHL, which should be a good step up for him. If he handles that well, given his physical stature, I don't see why there would be any hesitance to start his NA pro career the year after.

The Ducks aren't hurting for D depth, so they won't have any reason to rush him along and will let him set his own timeline based on how ready he shows at camp compared to their other prospects. If he comes into this year's camp looking like an NHL D from day one, maybe the SHL plan goes out the window. Definitely an open ended situation, the Ducks have shown they aren't adverse at all to using the 9 game trial to see if a young prospect is ready, or even adding a bit of gamesmanship to make that trial last right up until WJC camps start.

If I had to put my guess on paper, I would predict that Solberg spends 2024-25 in the SHL, then starts 2025-26 in the AHL before making an NHL debut later in the season.
I like Solberg a lot, but I think this is a bit optimistic. I think he does 2 years in the SHL. I think jumping up a level in competition, and then again next year to the AHL is a bit much. Also, most SHL teams aren't going to give huge minutes to 18 year olds.

It's not a knock on him that I don't think he'll be ready that quick. Be patient, he'll get there but I don't think there's any need to rush his development.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anaheim has been one of the top 5 drafting teams over the last decade+ so of course the Leafs would think they're somehow smarter at drafting. This is going to be Travis Konecny all over again (which incidentally Wes Clark also had a hand in). :rolleyes:
Or Biggs over Rakell and Gibson.

But too early to say with Solberg. Needs to prove himself in the SHL then the NHL.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Man I love what Anaheim is building.

Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier, Zegras, Terry, Sennecke up front. Great mix of very high end skill and size/strength.

Dostal in net.

Minty, Zellweger, LaCombe, Solberg on D. Solberg adds that physical edge they needed on D.

Verbeek has done very well.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
23th in my 2022 rating, 23th and 19th this year...

2017 : nothing special
2018 : nothing special
2019 : Zegras slipped to the 9th and it's complicated in the defensive game (Boldy 12th). Behind, nothing special.
2020 : Drysdale in 6 even though he doesn't know how to defend. Nothing exceptional behind.
2021 : McTavish was well read with the absence of data but it was rank 3 so not a steal. Behind nothing special.
2022 : Mintyukov is in his rank. Luneau compensates for the Gaucher and Warren choices. In order Mintyukov 10, Luneau 22, Gaucher 42, Warren 53, it's normal.
2023 : Carlsson chosen at his rank, behind nothing special
2024 : Sennecke in 3 WTF choice. Behind nothing special.

The best teams in recent years are Los Angeles, Carolina, San Jose, Seattle, Washington.

Toronto is disgusting. But take Anaheim, a franchise that has been rebuilding for 7 years as an example while Toronto is playing for the title... it's not the same context. The quality of the picks is not the same. That's what makes the difference.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I like Solberg a lot, but I think this is a bit optimistic. I think he does 2 years in the SHL. I think jumping up a level in competition, and then again next year to the AHL is a bit much. Also, most SHL teams aren't going to give huge minutes to 18 year olds.

It's not a knock on him that I don't think he'll be ready that quick. Be patient, he'll get there but I don't think there's any need to rush his development.

I'm not doubling down or making any guarantees, but I do see it being likely. The Ducks aren't shy at all about throwing young players into the NHL fire. Luneau was in the NHL lineup last year in his age 19 D+2 season before even being AHL eligible, he's not as physically developed as Solberg. Same with Zegras, split his age 19, D+2 season between the NHL and AHL, scrawny little twerp. McTavish, a bit more physically developed but he was given a 9 game trial in his D+1, then was a full time NHLer at 19 the next year. Carlsson albeit with "load management" was a full time NHLer right away, has legs like an actual duck. Cutter into the NHL lineup for the final game last year in his D+2 after signing. Zellweger saw significant NHL time as a first year pro D+3, but there was talk he almost earned himself a 9 game trial the year before. Mintyukov full time NHLer this year in his D+2 (age 20 season).

With the way they are already raving about Solberg's physical and mental maturity, the confidence and savvy he showed playing against men and even NHL players at the World's - I don't expect them to wait long to get him over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad