D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024, 23rd, ANA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
If the Sens pick a forward with their #7 pick, I'd definitely be interested in this guy with #25.

Late '05 that Central Scouting has ranked 20th amongst International skaters. The 25th pick might be earlier than expected; particularly in a draft that is expected to be deep in defensemen.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Sponsor
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
I'll be surprised if Solberg goes top 15, I see him as a guy more likely to go in the 2nd.

In regards to Freij, the last couple days his position on aggregate lists has bumped up 3 spots from 44th to 41st and I would expect him to climb some more on the final lists. Solberg will certainly climb those same lists but he's further back than Freij and I prefer Freij to him.
Hey - what aggregate, updated lists are you talking about? I am not aware of anything outside of Mckenzie being aggregate, and certainly not frequently updated. Honest question.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
That was before he was a 2-way impact player against an all NHL team from Canada at the World Championships.

Perhaps. But find it hard to believe NHL organizations would base their assessments on one game in an end of the year tournament. It would seem that they would look at his full body of work as well as project how his game would fit at a higher level.

That was before he was a 2-way impact player against an all NHL team from Canada at the World Championships.

Perhaps. But find it hard to believe NHL organizations would base their assessments on one game in an end of the year tournament. It would seem that they would look at his full body of work as well as project how his game would fit at a higher level.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He is the next Seider

Maybe but at this point that's a stretch. Seider was selected after playing in the DEL and made the jump directly to the AHL as well as playing in Sweden (and dominating).

Not saying that can't happen for Solberg but there is still much to prove.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Hey - what aggregate, updated lists are you talking about? I am not aware of anything outside of Mckenzie being aggregate, and certainly not frequently updated. Honest question.

Services like Tankathon utilize a handful of scouting services/opinions to form aggregate lists. In this case I think it's 12-15 different opinions from scouts and guys who follow prospects. So I mentioned Freij, about 24 hours ago Tankathon updated it's player rankings and Freij jumped up 3 spots from 44th to 41st. Why? Well it's likely one of the services reported their final list and he was a riser on it to the extent it bumped him up 3 spots on the overall aggregate ranking. The rest of these services will be reporting their own final lists so I expect the names on these type of lists to change a fair bit the next 2-3 weeks leading up to the draft.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Using aggregates for a guy like Solberg is very pointless, they are well behind the curve with where he’s actually looking to be ranked and taken at this point in time.

He’s a guy that is likely comfortably in the 15-25 range, which you’re hearing and seeing in all the recent mock drafts and info dumps from analysts and guys covering the draft, 14th and 15th in both Button and Pronman/Wheelers rankings/mocks.

Not sure he’s going to be there to draft outside of the teens

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Grab bag:

Rumors from Combine via The Athletic blog is that 6 (!!!) team's scouts said Solberg was an interview standout at the draft, and that "maybe he goes before one of the big 6." Still sounds like an outside shot at that.

Kind of an awkward interview here from TSN.

Visited the Leafs in TO. Cites Drew Doughty/ Mo Seider as guys he emulates. Says Tavares was the hardest guy he faced at Worlds (strong, good skater). Talked to 30 teams at the combine. Canadiens asked him some weird question about a submarine (sounds like the trolley problem); "that was some crazy shit."

And a good draft profile of him.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Teams love this kid. Hes a tank as well. He showed really well against men in the IIHF tournament. Logged a ton of minutes. He’s definitely going in the first round.
💯 It’s more a matter of how high. Look at where Reinbacher and Simashev went last year. The playoffs only highlight the importance of a guy like Solberg, if he hits. He already was logging the 2nd most ice time of anybody in the entire tournament in the WC against men, against NHLers. He’s thick, athletic, has the endurance of a thoroughbred and doesn’t take sh!t from anybody and he is detail oriented in the defensive zone, not just a physical presence. I think he’s also shown enough from a puck movement and transition standpoint that a team picking very high is going to convince themselves they can project something pretty good from a two-way perspective.

I honestly think he goes top 10. I don’t think that would be crazy at all. Sounds like he projected all the confidence and measurables desired at the combine.

Norway could have two top 10-12 picks this year. Both these dudes (Solberg and MBN) are tailor made for what teams are looking for in terms of projectable playoff hockey standouts who only get tougher to play against the tougher the minutes get.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
💯 It’s more a matter of how high. Look at where Reinbacher and Simashev went last year. The playoffs only highlight the importance of a guy like Solberg, if he hits. He already was logging the 2nd most ice time of anybody in the entire tournament in the WC against men, against NHLers. He’s thick, athletic, has the endurance of a thoroughbred and doesn’t take sh!t from anybody and he is detail oriented in the defensive zone, not just a physical presence. I think he’s also shown enough from a puck movement and transition standpoint that a team picking very high is going to convince themselves they can project something pretty good from a two-way perspective.

I honestly think he goes top 10. I don’t think that would be crazy at all. Sounds like he projected all the confidence and measurables desired at the combine.

Norway could have two top 10-12 picks this year. Both these dudes (Solberg and MBN) are tailor made for what teams are looking for in terms of projectable playoff hockey standouts who only get tougher to play against the tougher the minutes get.
I know he doesn’t have much experience in higher more competitive leagues but I think he can be on the fast track to North America. Because of his game, physical build, maturity, and hockey IQ I think after 1 year in the SHL that it’s possible he can come over and play in the AHL and then the NHL by 20/21 years old.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know he doesn’t have much experience in higher more competitive leagues but I think he can be on the fast track to North America. Because of his game, physical build, maturity, and hockey IQ I think after 1 year in the SHL that it’s possible he can come over and play in the AHL and then the NHL by 20/21 years old.
Yeah Färjestad seems like the ideal stepping stone for next season.

Reactions: SI90

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A playoff team (or one with playoff aspirations) will be thrilled to grab him well within the top 20, as he seems like one of the most likely in this draft to give you multiple years of value while still on an ELC.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Short new EP video analysis, nothing particularly new but I think they covered him pretty well.

Projectable top 4 D, physical, will probably bring some more offense than people realize but not a 1D type offense. Raw with more development ahead than many, however, has already shown he can hang in pro hockey and against NHLers. Makes the kind of mistakes that aren't as worrisome (trying things and learning, rather than just constantly missing reads).

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I absolutely LOVE Stian Solberg. I think he has a lot of untapped potential still.

Here's my Scouting Report on him

I'm assuming this video is meant to promote Solberg as a prospect but I'm not sure it does.

In the majority of these hits he is taking himself out of the play and simply making runs without regard to the tactical part of the game.

Another thing about this video is that a significant number of the hits are simply catching players when they are unaware, bordering on dirty. Doesn't take a lot of courage to make such plays; usually putting your team at a disadvantage by receiving penalties.

There are certainly qualities of his game that make him a quality prospect - size, skating ability and willingness to engage.

But having played in Norway and not at a higher level of competition I'd be hesitant to use a first-round pick on him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Taking a quick look at the draft order, I see Vegas being the floor for Solberg. If he hasn't been drafted when they come up at #19, I can't think of a team that would be more elated to land a young Dman who will give them value while still on his ELC. Of anyone I think they'll appreciate that over chasing greater potential upside down the road.

As far as a ceiling, in a draft this wide open, maybe he is the Hampus Lindholm comparable who goes far earlier than anyone had him going.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He is the next Seider

I don’t think he’s got the puck/game management skills of a Seider or Reinbacher as that late draft rising D. Maybe more along the lines of Lian Bichsel?

I still think he’s a terrific prospect but he probably rounds out as a 3/4 physical, defensive D with a little complementary offense. Lots of value there.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I'm assuming this video is meant to promote Solberg as a prospect but I'm not sure it does.

In the majority of these hits he is taking himself out of the play and simply making runs without regard to the tactical part of the game.

Another thing about this video is that a significant number of the hits are simply catching players when they are unaware, bordering on dirty. Doesn't take a lot of courage to make such plays; usually putting your team at a disadvantage by receiving penalties.

There are certainly qualities of his game that make him a quality prospect - size, skating ability and willingness to engage.

But having played in Norway and not at a higher level of competition I'd be hesitant to use a first-round pick on him.
Not a single one of those hits was called a penalty?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad