D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024, 23rd, ANA)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I forgot which YT video scouting that shared Solberg was developing a touch of offense as the season went. Here's hoping that Solberg does transition from shutdown D and into a 2-way D.

D+0 reg season: 42 games, 5g + 10a = 15 pts (0.36 ppg)
D+0 playoffs: 17 games, 2g + 7a = 9 pts (0.53 ppg)
Worlds: 7 games, 2g + 1a = 3 pts (0.43 ppg)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I mean Clark gets a lot of credit for his picks. So I would give him a leash.

But I wanted this player in Toronto. Why he thinks danflrd is better I don’t know.

But I said the same about Cowan

Reactions: supermann_98

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Elated the Ducks were able to move up to grab Solberg. I don't think I've ever been this confident about a late first round pick before.

The late first round hasn't been Anaheim's speciality. Hopefully this pick doesn't turn out like Larsson, Perreault or Tracey.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The late first round hasn't been Anaheim's speciality. Hopefully this pick doesn't turn out like Larsson, Perreault or Tracey.
I think Solberg has a higher floor because of what he is (hard hitting defensive D). The question is will he be a 2/3 guy or a #6? Ducks fans hope he hits that 2/3 level, realistically he could be a very solid middle pair guy that compliments one of our more offensive D (Zellweger or Luneau).

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I think Solberg has a higher floor because of what he is (hard hitting defensive D). The question is will he be a 2/3 guy or a #6? Ducks fans hope he hits that 2/3 level, realistically he could be a very solid middle pair guy that compliments one of our more offensive D (Zellweger or Luneau).
I see him as a complimentary piece on defense who we can pair with a #1D or #2D, someone like Beauchemin or Gudas. A future #3-4 guy who can play a physical shutdown role and pair with our best defensemen and play the PK.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I see him as a complimentary piece on defense who we can pair with a #1D or #2D, someone like Beauchemin or Gudas. A future #3-4 guy who can play a physical shutdown role and pair with our best defensemen and play the PK.
Yeah, that's the most likely case probably. There's still a chance he develops offense and becomes more than just a complimentary guy or something goes wrong and he's not more than a bottom pair, but probably more like Beauch/Manson who could play higher than their individual skill because they are a perfect complimentary guy.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Solberg and SIlayev are probably the two D out of this entire draft that I'd want in my top 4 during the playoffs. If they develop anywhere close to their projections, they are both going to be monsters in crunch time. Players that every team wants but can't get unless they draft them.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, the OGQ games definitely weren't the greatest. If anything, seemed like a step back from the performance in the WC. Maybe it's due to a relatively hectic summer. Hopefully, he gets going soon.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Tough spot to put two 18 year-olds in...I'm sure both of them felt enormous pressure to perform well in such an important game for their country. Overall, neither Solberg nor MBN should feel bad about their respective performances. I'm sure both players will take these OGQ games as a learning experience and grow from them.

Reactions: smitty10

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Having watched him a fair bit now in the SHL preseason and Norway's olympic qualifiying games I have some mixed impressions on him.
Love the physicality, but the hockey IQ, puck skills and offense are definitely still questions for me.
As long as he's able to keep the physicality and and be a top 4 defensive D, Ducks should be fine. There is plenty of offense in the pipeline, any offense he develops is a bonus. A better version of Manson or Gudas would be amazing.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As long as he's able to keep the physicality and and be a top 4 defensive D, Ducks should be fine. There is plenty of offense in the pipeline, any offense he develops is a bonus. A better version of Manson or Gudas would be amazing.

Gudas has consistently driven good offensive results his entire career

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Gudas has consistently driven good offensive results his entire career
But never put up many points (broke 20 points 3 times, career high 23). If Solberg can push the puck out of the zone and get the offense going the other way through defense and simple plays to get it to the offensive guys, that's good enough. He seemed to have flashes of offensive potential and had good IQ in lower leagues against older competition. Hopefully he'll show that against better competition as he gets acclimated to a higher league.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Having watched him a fair bit now in the SHL preseason and Norway's olympic qualifiying games I have some mixed impressions on him.
Love the physicality, but the hockey IQ, puck skills and offense are definitely still questions for me.

Glad to hear your perspective on him. I don’t know much about his other skills and what his toolbox is. I know a lot of people on the Ducks board are thrilled to have him, but what does he possess besides being physical?

Is he quick? Does he have offensive upside?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Glad to hear your perspective on him. I don’t know much about his other skills and what his toolbox is. I know a lot of people on the Ducks board are thrilled to have him, but what does he possess besides being physical?

Is he quick? Does he have offensive upside?
Madden said that the Ducks staff believes he has a lot of untapled offensive potential as well.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Madden said that the Ducks staff believes he has a lot of untapled offensive potential as well.
He definitely doesn't handle the puck like a hand grenade. He'll be average if not slightly above average in puck handling and rushing the puck when he reaches the NHL. Norway used him on their #1 PP (out of desperation I assume) which was unfair to him. He'd do fine in that role against other teenagers but against men he was in over his head a bit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He definitely doesn't handle the puck like a hand grenade. He'll be average if not slightly above average in puck handling and rushing the puck when he reaches the NHL. Norway used him on their #1 PP (out of desperation I assume) which was unfair to him. He'd do fine in that role against other teenagers but against men he was in over his head a bit.
It didn't feel like Anaheim will expect him to be Josi or anything. They just hinted that he has some offensive potential, more than it might have seemed for people at the draft.

We're few months in only, i'll wait and see how his offense turns out

Reactions: lwvs84 and tomd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad