Prospect Info: (D) Nolan Allan - 2021 32nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

He's trying so hard not to say "intangibles"

God forbid we draft a guy that comes with endorsements like ‘great with the puck’ or ‘skates like the wind’ or ‘obscene production for his age’.

Kelley absolutely SUCKS at scouting young dmen.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
People seem to hate any pick - people hated the Dach pick , too, and now people love the guy .

the draft is such a crapshoot , especially this one where it’s a lean year compared to others.

I don’t know much about Allan, but I’m willing to give Bowman the benefit of the doubt here and will wait to see how he plays out. I know many will disagree but I think Bowman has a good “hockey mind”, and the last few years is just the price a team pays for 3 cups in the cap era.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianHawks

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Don't know about that one. After his rather poor showings at the WJC18, drafting him in the 1st round seems quite a reach. I didn't expect that at all. But okay. Upside is probably there and I haven't really seen much of him besides that tournament.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
People seem to hate any pick - people hated the Dach pick , too, and now people love the guy .

the draft is such a crapshoot , especially this one where it’s a lean year compared to others.

I don’t know much about Allan, but I’m willing to give Bowman the benefit of the doubt here and will wait to see how he plays out. I know many will disagree but I think Bowman has a good “hockey mind”, and the last few years is just the price a team pays for 3 cups in the cap era.

2015 was 6 years if they are still "paying the price" there should be a different gm in charge. Bowman isnt paying the price hes just bad at negotiating trades and managing assets.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Maybe a LD version of Connor Murphy that can SKATE ? Hopefully his offence comes as he matures.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Maybe a LD version of Connor Murphy that can SKATE ? Hopefully his offence comes as he matures.
lol imagine being optimistic.

Accept the reality that they drafted a 4th rounder.

No offense, poor defender BUT HE THROWS BIG HITS WOW

Can't wait to see his illustrious career in Rockford play out...

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Just as a thought experiment, can anyone think of players who were (a) consensus ranked around 80 by the various scouting services, (b) taken in the 1st by a smartest guy in the room gm, and (c) proved everyone wrong and outplayed the consensus rankings?

Cold Steel on Ice

Feb 12, 2020
Kucherov Point happens every year.I think Allan was the pick at 44 but we moved that pick in the trade.I am warming up to this pick as Allan is the type of d we don’t have in the system.He is a really good skater and covered for Clarke in the u18’s.Might be a Hammer type who can play with a smaller puckmover like a Mitchell.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
People say you shouldn't draft a goalie in the 1st round. You know what's worse? Drafting a no offense defenseman that's bad in his own end.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
This kid only played 16 WHL games this year so the Hawks must really have liked what they saw from him for team Canada.

Did any of you guys watch that tournament?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Can't wait for #2 to come in and quarterback our power play
pVhYUQ.gif

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
This kid only played 16 WHL games this year so the Hawks must really have liked what they saw from him for team Canada.

Did any of you guys watch that tournament?
Yes. I'm watching the gold medal game for the third time to key in on Allan. He was not on my radar for what should have been the 43rd pick, nor for the 61st.

Canada rotates their pairings and they consist of Del Mastro-Clarke, Zellweger-Cuelemans, and Allan-Matier. Obviously he's not on the PP and plays on the PK rotation.

The problem is not the player but where he was picked. He's got size and his skating is good. I'll be charitable and say his offensive instincts are lacking. He is not a bad defender and I reserve the right upgrade that assessment.

The problem I have with watching the gold medal is that it reinforces just how f***ing bad it was to give up the 2022 first round pick. I get it that it's lotto winning protected, but the protection should have gone well beyond the top two picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad