D Esa Lindell (2012, 74th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I was thinking why he doesn't have his own thread here so I wanted to make one.

Lindell has been one of the best defenseman in the FEL this season. He leads FEL defensemen in ice time (25.10) and he has 14 points (5+9) in 29 games.

He has been very impressive. Yesterday he scored the GWG in overtime. He has played also in Finnish NT team in two EHT tournaments and he scored one goal. He was on the WJC team which won gold last year. It's hard not to be excited about him.

He'll come to NA after this season.

Yesterdays GWG:
http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2014-2015/runkosarja/6357/seuranta/

Watch 3.35 ->
Don't use any ad blockers.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the highlights. Excellent job of pinching on that goal: looks like he should be coaching the Dallas defenders.

I worry that his ceiling isn't that high, but he comes across as an intelligent, level headed player.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I wanted this guy prior to the draft. I was hoping Dallas wouldn't sign him. Nice to see him doing well.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Lindell has been very impressive both in Liiga and with the national team this fall. I think he's a lock for WHC's in Prague.

It'd be cool to see three Finnish defensemen (Lindell, Honka, Jokipakka) in Dallas' top 6 next season!

Primetimey*

Lindell, Honka, Jokipakka, Klingberg, and Nemeth.

Our defense is going to be taken over by Finns and Swedes.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He ended the regular season with 35 points (14+21) in 57 games and was the leader in defenseman scoring in FEL. What a great year for him. We'll see him in the playoffs.

2 other defenseman had same amount of points, but Lindell had less games played and most goals scored.

Last edited:

Primetimey*

He ended the regular season with 35 points (14+21) in 56 games and was the leader in defenseman scoring in FEL. What a great year for him. We'll see him in the playoffs.

2 other defenseman had same amount of points, but Lindell had less games played and most goals scored.

He also led the league in TOI/game right?

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Wow, what a massive jump in PPG from one and two seasons ago. Who is he comparable to?

Primetimey*

Goals - 1st - 14 (Janne Niskala also has 14, but in 60 GP vs 57 GP for Lindell)
Assists - 6th -21 (Tommi Kivisto also has 21, but in 58 GP)
Points - 1st - 35 (Brian Salcido has 35 w/ 12G in 59 GP, Teemu Aalto has 35 w/ 11G in 59 GP)
Shots - 2nd - 336
PPG - 3rd - 8 (Janne Niskala also has 8)
ATOI - 1st -24:56

He led league defensemen in scoring based on points per game. Youngest ever to do it.

Primetimey*

Impressive season, but Vatanen put up .86 PPG compared to Lindell's .61 PPG as a 20 year old.

Doesn't change the fact my statement is still correct. Lindell is a few months younger than Vatanen was.. thus, youngest to lead the league in PPG scoring.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Lindell is much bigger and better defensively, though.

I don't find Lindell to be terribly pleasing defensively. He's a risk-taker and his rough transition skating (as opposed to Vatanen, who is a wonderful all-around skater) messes with his gaps and then his angles...despite his point totals, he still looks kind of raw. But this is obviously a marked improvement and we'll see where it takes him...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Doesn't change the fact my statement is still correct. Lindell is a few months younger than Vatanen was.. thus, youngest to lead the league in PPG scoring.
He didn't lead in PPG though. He led in points. Vatanen led the league in PPG for defensemen during his 20 year old season. Vatanen is a June birthday. Lindell is a May birthday so I don't get that claim either.

Primetimey*

He led the league in points per game this season, but apparently isn't youngest ever.

Beat writer is incorrect.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So Vatanen is playing in the Elite League, leading the league in PPG this year? No. No he isn't.

Lindell lead the league in PPG, the youngest d-man to ever do it.

Re-Read what I put 20 times until you understand it..
Again. He led in points. Not PPG like you claim.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...efensemen&leagueteam=&nation=&name=&order=PPG

Vatanen led in PPG but not points.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...efensemen&leagueteam=&nation=&name=&order=PPG

Vatanen was younger when he did it (albeit by about 10 days). This isn't a very difficult concept. Vatanen had a better offensive season at the same age as Lindell. He had a good season. No need to twist things to make it seem like its never been done before. He's a good looking prospect on his own.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Very surprisingly little talk about this kid on here. Recently won The Pekka Rautakallio Award as best Dman in SM-liiga in Finland with 35pts. in 57 games. Also 2nd in dman points as of right now at the World's, with 4pts. in 3 games, only behind OEL who has 5pts. in 3 games.

Dallas may have another mid round surprise here. Very solid all around dman with huge offensive ability. Only 20 years old

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
This guy is absolute steal. He has been showing some nice flashes along on his whole career, but this season has been the real break trough for Lindell. So mature game and is physical. Also, really accurate snipes from the blue line, even if the shot wasn't that hard.

I think he might be NHL ready right in next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad