D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He looked fine last night. I mean he's 16, and there were a couple of hiccups...but he's generally right where he should be, he's very good at reading plays and has a good strong stick.

He is 6'1" and 185 lbs at age 16 and isn't just some physically mature guy.

An exciting prospect to watch develop.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very impressed by this guy. I'm not saying Lambos is bad because he's not, but I much prefer Clarke after one viewing of each.

Clarke looks like a natural talent at both ends of the rink, and he's a very good skater, as well. He's the type of defensemen who can control a game from the back-end.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Very impressed by this guy. I'm not saying Lambos is bad because he's not, but I much prefer Clarke after one viewing of each.

Clarke looks like a natural talent at both ends of the rink, and he's a very good skater, as well. He's the type of defensemen who can control a game from the back-end.
He’s currently my front runner for next year’s draft. He live up to that lofty billing for you?

Reactions: d rake

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Ekblad, the last Canadian defenseman to go first overall, has a birthday just two days apart from Clarke's and played on the Barrie Colts as well. Pretty interesting.

I really like the Seth Jones comparable. He's my favourite to go 1st overall at this point.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
The thing with scouts and rankings having mostly Raty at no 1 is ofc what i want and all, but there just isn't enough footage for me to study myself from Raty, there barely is any. He's also having abit of a dip in his play at the Junior league in Finland. I really like what Clarke brings to the table though. I hate to say it but i don't think Raty should be concidered as no 1 currently.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know points aren't everything for a D-2 defenseman, but they matter to an extent. These are the PPG averages in D-2 season.

Clarke: .66
Drysdale: .63

I think these two are similar level prospects. I've had Drysdale at #2 for almost all season, so I rate him higher than most. I would say Clarke is a similar level of defenseman prospect. They have differences in how they play, but I think it's good to compare the two as elite level right-shot defensemen out of the OHL in two consecutive years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
So whats the major differences and/or similarities between him and Power?

Power is a 6'6" do it all defender in the same mold as Pronger or Hedman. Good skater, great slapshot, physical, very good first pass and plays pretty good in all 3 zones. Low end potential is Colton Parayko - solid #2/3 option, PP2, PK1 type. High end potential is Hedman if he can continue to consistently develop his overall game, allowing for his offense to be a byproduct of his defense.

Clarke is more offensively dynamic, though I think they'll end up with similar production in their careers. (50-60 point guys) Good, elusive skater moving forward but definitely needs work on his backwards mobility. Very skilled stickhandler, very creative offensively, and can play as a rover/4th forward type. Low end potential would be Dougie Hamilton - #2/3 defenseman but #1PP weapon. Not often on the PK unless you want a shorty. High end potential if he can improve his lateral mobility is EK53.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Power is a 6'6" do it all defender in the same mold as Pronger or Hedman. Good skater, great slapshot, physical, very good first pass and plays pretty good in all 3 zones. Low end potential is Colton Parayko - solid #2/3 option, PP2, PK1 type. High end potential is Hedman if he can continue to consistently develop his overall game, allowing for his offense to be a byproduct of his defense.

Clarke is more offensively dynamic, though I think they'll end up with similar production in their careers. (50-60 point guys) Good, elusive skater moving forward but definitely needs work on his backwards mobility. Very skilled stickhandler, very creative offensively, and can play as a rover/4th forward type. Low end potential would be Dougie Hamilton - #2/3 defenseman but #1PP weapon. Not often on the PK unless you want a shorty. High end potential if he can improve his lateral mobility is EK53.

Appreciate the write up.
As a FLA fan, this draft seems to be chalk full of great defense prospects so as much as I'd like to see us nab a playoff spot, somehow getting a top 5 pick of one of those two in Power or Clarke would instantly be our best D prospect.

Would love to see Power - Ekblad as a top duo one day.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think Clarke is better defensively than you are giving him credit for being.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think Clarke is better defensively than you are giving him credit for being.

You and I have been on the Clarke train for awhile. He’s a fantastic player.

I have him and Power at 1-2 right now, Power probably number 1 but I haven’t seen as much of him as I have Clarke. That size, speed, skill, hockey IQ combination of Power is pretty hard to match.

Power has a good chance to make a stacked team Canada at the WJC should be fun to see how he does.

All in all 2021 is shaping up to be a great draft for D men.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad