CXLVIII - Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo had 'productive' meeting with Phoenix mayor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Rich Nairn is the former EVP of Communications for the Coyotes.

IMG_4393.jpeg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He had to be 50% built on the arena to get a sniff. 6 months of no shovels is going to set that back big time. I can't imagine they call a special session to get him a special use permit. Plus you know they will open it to the public for any opposition stance.
Do we know it’s 6 months? Yes, it’s definitely more difficult, and nobody here has any faith in him. You’re not seeing anyone shocked. But he probably has a year to get shovels in the ground. Or a ground.

Reactions: Voight

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Do we know it’s 6 months? Yes, it’s definitely more difficult, and nobody here has any faith in him. You’re not seeing anyone shocked. But he probably has a year to get shovels in the ground. Or a ground.
I wonder if the league saw this issue might be coming and thus the push by them to get the resolution they got. That said I would guess the negotiated settlement with AM probably bakes in potential delays like this in the timeline to give some leeway.

Reactions: Voight

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Oh my God I never could have seen this happen. What a GONGSHOW.

Hopefully this expedites Meurelo disappearing and the NHL working with a competent group on expanding back here.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ok, on second read this may be AM walking away with the billion while trying to not look like the bad guy. Even if you don’t think you need the special permit, you still have a land use/government relations attorney on retainer to work with city and state to make sure things go smoothly. That’s developer 101, and his family is in the real estate business

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
The league has to love that this is going on on the same night the Stanley Cup could be won.

Why didn’t the league make sure? Probably because they want him to fail.
Totally agree. They saw the opportunity to close him off and they did. They probably contacted a few people, got a fastest case estimate of how long it would take, given the conditions, to get an arena to 50%, and gave Meruelo no margin for failure, knowing that he would fail.

Reactions: Llama19

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ok, on second read this may be AM walking away with the billion while trying to not look like the bad guy. Even if you don’t think you need the special permit, you still have a land use/government relations attorney on retainer to work with city and state to make sure things go smoothly. That’s developer 101, and his family is in the real estate business
How many times does this have to be mentioned....He is NOT walking away with a billion dollars.

As for the latest news, can anyone really be surprised anymore? If you want to look at it like some have looked at the whole Coyotes situation over the last 15 years, that's fine. I get the comments about this happening "a lot" all over and that it really just delays things a few months and all that. If you want to hang your hat on that, it's the same way of looking at Ice Arizona and ASU ticket sales/revenue, and Muruelo's ownership as a whole. That's cool.

But for the rest of us, it's just another example to go along with the hundreds over the years, and dozens during Muruelo's tenure as owner, of ineptitude, idiocy, and god knows what else that displays disfunction and a lack of ability to make it work in this area.

The choice is yours. Pain, or, acknowledgement.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
It’s getting better

Some other interesting quotes from this article

"You morons have never worked in good faith - nobody trusts you and nobody wants to work with you,” Jack Keeney wrote. “Years of being bad actors means you have to jump through some hoops to earn trust back, and instead you turn to complaining on Twitter.”

"Mr. Meruelo's fantasy hockey proposal was just a smokescreen as he exited after running the franchise under," Ortega said in a text message. Ortega also criticized

Reactions: Voight and Fatass

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd love to give the Yotes the benefit of the doubt as to their side of the story, but if Meruelo told me that the was blue I'd assume it was stormy out.
I’ve actually read before about a belief that the sky is actually green, but the reflections off the earth, and water presumably, makes it look blue.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
That 12/31/2028 date is hard as the league needs 18 months for teams to make preparation for expansion-like draft, and other expansion-like milestones.

It would have to jump out another year if extended.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011

They could build Mullet 2 though.

Craig's podcast co-host brilliantly brought up: just imagine if the league hadn't engineered the sale and this happened with the actual team still being in Merulo 's hands

They were waiting for HFBoards to get our bid together

Thinking a little more while this of course is meant as a playful jab at ourselves HFBoards would do an infinitely better job even if the management consisted of all posters that fight each other all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad