CXLVIII - Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo had 'productive' meeting with Phoenix mayor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
I mean... yeah, probably. That's what I get for watching Futurama while typing a post, I suppose. lol

giphy.gif

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
So, is this truly and really the end? after all these years and forum topics? This is a day I thought I would never see........

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Works for me and I’m not a subscriber.

Nutshell…. it’s an opinion piece calling into question Ryan Smith asking the city for a billion dollars via a sales tax increase just so he can build and take over three downtown city blocks of Salt Lake City for his sole benefit. Or he’ll threaten to take his teams to another location in the state.

Your typical “billionaire wants the public to make him richer” article.

Reactions: Stumbledore

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Latest on the Roadrunners front. Summarizing a few tweets from Craig Morgan a while ago.

Meruelo proposed to play 14-games at Mullett next season. His lease with Tucson allows him five games already.

Rio Nuevo (controllers of the TCC) have unanimously agreed on 6-games.

OVG (ASU) shouldn’t have any problem with scheduling.

None of this would require AHL approval.

Meruelo offered to extend the lease at TCC another year if more the five games were allowed ( this isn’t confirmed yet but I’m presuming it will)

Utah played a part in this. They didn’t like the original 14-game proposal.

UPDATE: official announcement from the Roadrunners.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Works for me and I’m not a subscriber.

Nutshell…. it’s an opinion piece calling into question Ryan Smith asking the city for a billion dollars via a sales tax increase just so he can build and take over three downtown city blocks of Salt Lake City for his sole benefit. Or he’ll threaten to take his teams to another location in the state.

Your typical “billionaire wants the public to make him richer” article.
I'm shocked.

Shocked, I tell you.

Reactions: many76

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Reactions: Stumbledore

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
And Glendale some 21 years later is still trying to recover from her ‘vision’ of a west valley metro center.
So what is Westgate like now? I remember in 09-13 before it was foreclosed and got new owners it wasn't close to being built out.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I’d be legitimately surprised if he’s the biggest bidder even recognizing that he was basically given a billion dollar interest-free loan by the NHL if he actually wants back in.
First off, I L L!

I wouldn't be, but only because Meruelo needs to prove himself to a lot of people (including other stakeholders in this venture). Winning the auction is the best way to -start to- do that.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he loses because that's the expectation. The people in this community don't have any faith in him. I think we have seen his true colors, and they suck. But it's never too late to start to do the right thing, pursue forgiveness, and redeem one's self.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Meurelo made his intentions to bid public. Why can’t other bidders do the same?

Meruelo himself did not, he just had to apply for the land, which became a public issue when a reporter for the Arizona Republic (who follows the activities of state departments) discovered the connection some seven months after the application was submitted and wrote an article on it. It was a month or so after when Meruelo (through Xavier Gutierrez) acknowledged they had submitted the application.

There was an issue with all this when Craig Morgan reported how someone close to the proceedings reached out and told him the application was going to be approved BEFORE it was. That sparked a reaction from a couple of local politicos that a state law regarding disclosure was breached.

Arizona has some pretty tight laws when it comes to these things. If a bidder wants to come out publicly they can. But Rodier obviously got this info from someone else, possibly from inside and if that’s the case then they’re potentially risking jail time if caught.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Meruelo himself did not, he just had to apply for the land, which became a public issue when a reporter for the Arizona Republic (who follows the activities of state departments) discovered the connection some seven months after the application was submitted and wrote an article on it. It was a month or so after when Meruelo (through Xavier Gutierrez) acknowledged they had submitted the application.

There was an issue with all this when Craig Morgan reported how someone close to the proceedings reached out and told him the application was going to be approved BEFORE it was. That sparked a reaction from a couple of local politicos that a state law regarding disclosure was breached.

Arizona has some pretty tight laws when it comes to these things. If a bidder wants to come out publicly they can. But Rodier obviously got this info from someone else, possibly from inside and if that’s the case then they’re potentially risking jail time if caught.
Or the bidders contacted him and said he could make it known?
Regardless if Meurelo loses this bid I wonder if that puts him out on having dibs on expansion?

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
It’s been growing out but it’s never coming close to what Steve Ellman originally planned. Maybe 50-60% of the original concept.
Is it trending towards what was originally envisioned? I remember someone posted a picture of the 3D model of the Westgate plan. It also had a bunch of high-end condos. I haven't followed Glendale since the Coyotes left. I remember Top Golf, Tanger, Matel, and the resort coming in.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Or the bidders contacted him and said he could make it known?
Regardless if Meurelo loses this bid I wonder if that puts him out on having dibs on expansion?
He loses this and it's realistically over for him because there's absolutely no way he can meet that 5-year deadline otherwise IMO.

I expect him to win it, because that would probably torture Coyotes fans even more in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad