CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Don’t recall, that’s why I’m asking, thought there was some January deadline, maybe I’m misremembering.

I think it was Xavier Guttierez who said last summer that there was no deadline, but they hoped to present something to the league by early 2024.

2024 is only 11 days away.

Coyotes are in year 2 of their 3 year lease at Mullett Arena, and they don't even have a publicly announced plan, never mind started construction. While it seems like ASU is happy to have the Coyotes share Mullett and would probably extend the lease, that's obviously not a sustainable long-term home.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think it was Xavier Guttierez who said last summer that there was no deadline, but they hoped to present something to the league by early 2024.

Coyotes are in year 2 of their 3 year lease at Mullett Arena, and they don't even have a publicly announced plan, never mind started construction. While it seems like ASU is happy to have the Coyotes share Mullett and would probably extend the lease, that's obviously not a sustainable long-term home.
Great thanks, that was likely it, early 2024.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I think the writing is on the wall and that unfortunately for the fans (but good for players league-wide), the end is near for the Coyotes franchise.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Make more money with more cap dollars. The cap currently gets depressed by the situation in Arizona.

This is such a silly argument. There are plenty of other teams in other markets that are well below the average. It has been rumored that the team makes more at Mullett than they did in Glendale.

Get me a signed request, or a quote from a player besides Marchand that outright says "We need to get out of Phoenix". Willing to bet 95% of the players don't even understand how the cap works.

Even if they go somewhere and make $32 million more than they did in AZ, that's only $500k per team for cap. Not exactly moving the needle much if you ask me. And if they were to make that $32 million amount, there are 9 teams above them that would be making less than them at that point. The Coyotes are not the drag on the NHL that everyone makes them out to be. Sure they have their problems, but I am willing to bet if you asked a player, they'd prefer to play in Phoenix than a lot of the norther states.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
This is such a silly argument. There are plenty of other teams in other markets that are well below the average. It has been rumored that the team makes more at Mullett than they did in Glendale.

Get me a signed request, or a quote from a player besides Marchand that outright says "We need to get out of Phoenix". Willing to bet 95% of the players don't even understand how the cap works.

Even if they go somewhere and make $32 million more than they did in AZ, that's only $500k per team for cap. Not exactly moving the needle much if you ask me. And if they were to make that $32 million amount, there are 9 teams above them that would be making less than them at that point. The Coyotes are not the drag on the NHL that everyone makes them out to be. Sure they have their problems, but I am willing to bet if you asked a player, they'd prefer to play in Phoenix than a lot of the norther states.

This reads like massive cope.

Yes or no. Do you think the Arizona franchise are the biggest financial loser in the league? If they make more at Mullett doesn't really matter if they're bleeding a little less cash. They can't even sell out 4K for God's sakes and you can only watch the team by buying an antenna (!).

League players shouldn't lose on money because one franchise can't get it right.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

With the Panthers stabilizing, there are really no other troubled franchises. Getting the Coyotes squared away will open the door for expansion and potentially a $3 billion windfall if the league expands by 4 teams and nearly 100 new jobs for players.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
With the Panthers stabilizing, there are really no other troubled franchises. Getting the Coyotes squared away will open the door for expansion and potentially a $3 billion windfall if the league expands by 4 teams and nearly 100 new jobs for players.

Which is exactly what Muerello is trying to do......

Reactions: Summer Rose

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
It has been rumored that the team makes more at Mullett than they did in Glendale.

That's not a rumor. Xavier Gutierrez did confirm in January the gate revenue is higher at Mullett than Gila River Arena.

The problem is, as quoted by a certain Marvel movie, "What did it cost"*. Xavier also confirmed in January that the Coyotes were overall in the hole ~$10,000,000 by losing all the other revenue streams associated with being at Gila River. Going to this season and losing the very lucrative Bally's TV contract means they're probably in the hole $15-20M.

and you can only watch the team by buying an antenna (!).

For clarification Scripps finally did give the Coyotes the same treatment as the Golden Knights a few weeks ago and moved the team to the old CW network in AZ, so they have full transmission coverage (Cable, Dish, DirecTV).

Whether it's actually helping ratings remains to be seen. The Coyotes still have made zero
Updates regarding streaming service as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llama19

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Yes or no. Do you think the Arizona franchise are the biggest financial loser in the league? If they make more at Mullett doesn't really matter if they're bleeding a little less cash. They can't even sell out 4K for God's sakes and you can only watch the team by buying an antenna (!).

League players shouldn't lose on money because one franchise can't get it right.

It's not a cope. It's just reality. I'm not sure why you are so concerned about what hockey players are making. If the PA was so concerned, they should be voicing their opinions to the NHL. My example was just to point out that it's not going to move the needle much in the grand scheme of things.

Regarding Mullet, the NFL did just fine with the Chargers playing in a high school stadium. Good things come to those who wait.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Sure they have their problems, but I am willing to bet if you asked a player, they'd prefer to play in Phoenix than a lot of the norther states.
I'll take that bet provided I pick the player.

In fact, I'll offer to take that bet 10 consecutive times provided I pick the players.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Legend’s lesson in how to diagnose a drive by in three parts…….. :teach2:

Make more money with more cap dollars. The cap currently gets depressed by the situation in Arizona.

(Rando item…..)

Cap is going up, and has been pointed out, the goal is to get it there.

(First try didn’t work so let’s pretend you’re audience is dumb for not buying it and try something else)

Who knows…. The Penguins went through two bankruptcies and managed to figure it out. Chicago was on the brink of folding once. Those were different times so the dollars will be out of context but still remains that the Coyotes aren’t the first, nor will be the last NHL franchise to have a negative impact.

How can anyone have any confidence in that guy?

Can't pay bills and gets outspent by the opposition in a crucial election? He's a joke.

(Ahhhhh……. What it all boiled down to….. the old cliche filled punch line.)

He’s fully paid up to play at Mullett through next season in addition to providing $30 million worth of infrastructure to the arena (also paid up front) for which he’s walking away from once the Coyotes leave.

ASU is scoring income in the seven figures because of the Coyotes playing at Mullet (more than Glendale probably ever did) so they aren’t too worried about the current arrangement.

If he had spent more than the opposition trying to get TED passed you would have spun that too, so for purposes of effect it’s a meaningless thing to even bring up.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Legend’s lesson in how to diagnose a drive by in three parts…….. :teach2:

(Rando item…..)

Cap is going up, and has been pointed out, the goal is to get it there.

(First try didn’t work so let’s pretend you’re audience is dumb for not buying it and try something else)

Who knows…. The Penguins went through two bankruptcies and managed to figure it out. Chicago was on the brink of folding once. Those were different times so the dollars will be out of context but still remains that the Coyotes aren’t the first, nor will be the last NHL franchise to have a negative impact.

(Ahhhhh……. What it all boiled down to….. the old cliche filled punch line.)

He’s fully paid up to play at Mullett through next season in addition to providing $30 million worth of infrastructure to the arena (also paid up front) for which he’s walking away from once the Coyotes leave.

ASU is scoring income in the seven figures because of the Coyotes playing at Mullet (more than Glendale probably ever did) so they aren’t too worried about the current arrangement.

If he had spent more than the opposition trying to get TED passed you would have spun that too, so for purposes of effect it’s a meaningless thing to even bring up.

Even if I go off your conclusion, the conclusion becomes that Meruelo is a moron because he was so careless he didn't bother to muster up the very little cash it would have taken to back his campaign more seriously and not have a massive wrench thrown into his plans.

In what scenario does he come out looking good? He's either cheap or careless. Neither is good.

And please don't pretend I have some sort of inherent gripe with Arizona. I wouldn't wish relocation on even one hardcore fan. But let's call a spade a spade.

Maybe Arizona can bounceback like Chicago or Pittsburgh (I don't think so strictly from a brand point of view, I have nothing against the actual market) but I think the clock has ticked on that one.

By the way, genuine question: Does ASU getting a good financial deal mean anything to the league and its players?

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'll take that bet provided I pick the player.

In fact, I'll offer to take that bet 10 consecutive times provided I pick the players.

C’mon….. you’re trying to stack the odds against the house here. :laugh:

A lot of players like Arizona, period. Many of them retire here after having been here to play games and see what it offers.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Even if I go off your conclusion, the conclusion becomes that Meruelo is a moron because he was so careless he didn't bother to muster up the very little cash it would have taken to back his campaign more seriously and not have a massive wrench thrown into his plans.

In what scenario does he come out looking good? He's either cheap or careless. Neither is good.

And please don't pretend I have some sort of inherent gripe with Arizona. I wouldn't wish relocation on even one hardcore fan. But let's call a spade a spade.

Maybe Arizona can bounceback like Chicago or Pittsburgh (I don't think so strictly from a brand point of view, I have nothing against the actual market) but I think the clock has ticked on that one.

By the way, genuine question: Does ASU getting a good financial deal mean anything to the league and its players?

There’s no guarantee throwing money at a campaign would get you what you want. He spent $1.5 million in all. That’s a pretty hefty sum for a referendum in a city of 320K. The opposition had a side interest come in a dump all sorts of cash to facilitate things and if you were to ask them they were pining about how much more Meruelo spent than they did.

Problem anyway wasn’t the money it was the message. They oversold TED as something only high income people would be interested in to a core citizenship that’s been there for decades and is growing weary of all the vertical growth they’re seeing around them. Right now I don’t think any large scale project is going to be able to go in Tempe because of how that vote turned out.

Genuine answer: It shows the potential that if Meruelo can get something done in a location that will serve to grow the current fan base into something bigger then he should be able to turn things around.

That wasn’t going to happen in Glendale for a multitude of reasons, and being a tenant again downtown wasn’t either. The only drawback is being will a third arena in the Phoenix metro draw enough events outside of hockey to make it worth while.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
BTW…. One last thing.

The subject of where would the Coyotes play if they make the playoffs.

From what I’ve read to date it’ll be at Mullett and the league is apparently okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad