CXLVI - Future of Coyotes up in air after Tempe rejects arena deal - will remain at Mullet Arena for 2023-24, looking at Fiesta Mall site in Mesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I would expect this. Could the new lease take power away from the Suns about bringing in another tenant? Is Ishbia more willing to partner than Sarver? Now if the recent renovation made moving the Coyotes downtown more difficult, it still doesn't hurt politicians to float the idea. There's no harm in "hey, we're willing to work here". If they are truly interested, it will cost a lot of money to do another renovation.

The only way this appeals to Ishbia is if the team is sold to him at a very favourable price.

This is the option that Coyotes fans should be pushing for.

Reactions: RogerRoger

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

I hope this isn't the "plan b" they've talked about. Even as a "plan c", it's not good. They would be years away from anything happening and they've just opened the door.

Edit to add:
Maybe Meruelo's tolerance for losses is greater than most think and he's willing to fund losses until he gets his development.

Last edited:

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
A smart American businessman always donates to both parties. I'm surprised that only his Republican donations would be parroted by the proletariat.
Boomer Republican voters in South Tempe just really needed to be told about the GPLET to get their "Nimby" motors going to vote.

It was the younger (comparative) Democrat/Independent voters that had to take some finessing to make sure they came out. Seemed to work out.

FwRlx4kacAAXwJc.png

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Do people really think it was Democrats that scuttled this?

Tempe may be Democratic leaning for state and federal elections but people who vote municipally tend to be older and whiter and lean Republican. That lines up with the reporting on turnout for the referendum as well.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
How long would a process take with Mesa to get anything to council never mind a public vote if needed?

Even if they're not starting from scratch.... depends on the political appetite of course

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Google map of Fiesta Mall in Mesa...
(purple area in lower right, upper left STAR is approximate location of TED site)...

Note: Distance between locations is approximately eight (8) miles.

1684430492140.png

Last edited:
Reactions: zeeto and TheLegend

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
How long would a process take with Mesa to get anything to council never mind a public vote if needed?

Even if they're not starting from scratch.... depends on the political appetite of course

After seeing how this turned against Tempe council, political appetite has to be near zero to contribute any public funds, especially with Meruelo involved.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Do people really think it was Democrats that scuttled this?

Tempe may be Democratic leaning for state and federal elections but people who vote municipally tend to be older and whiter and lean Republican. That lines up with the reporting on turnout for the referendum as well.

I just posted the turnout numbers:

12,700 Democrats
7,200 Independent
8,200 Republicans

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Latest article...from the Phoenix Business Journal...on Fiesta Mall...

Developer files initial plans to redevelop shuttered Fiesta Mall in Mesa

To quote:

"Steps are now being taken to redevelop the shuttered Fiesta Mall in Mesa.

Developer Verde Investments filed pre-submittal documents to the city of Mesa earlier this month to redevelop the site into new retail, up to 4,000 multifamily units, flex office and open green space. Plans submitted so far don't include exact square footages of the new development.

Bill Jabjiniak, Mesa's director of economic development, said there's a long road ahead before anything happens in redeveloping the 80-acre site at the southeast corner of Alma School Road and Southern Avenue."

Source: www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/03/17/verde-investments-fiesta-mall-redevelopment-plans.html

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I just posted the turnout numbers:

12,700 Democrats
7,200 Independent
8,200 Republicans

Do you know where to find the turnout numbers for the last Tempe election?

To quote:

Developer Verde Investments filed pre-submittal documents to the city of Mesa earlier this month to redevelop the site into new retail, up to 4,000 multifamily units, flex office and open green space. Plans submitted so far don't include exact square footages of the new development.

Bill Jabjiniak, Mesa's director of economic development, said there's a long road ahead before anything happens in redeveloping the 80-acre site at the southeast corner of Alma School Road and Southern Avenue."

Source: www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/03/17/verde-investments-fiesta-mall-redevelopment-plans.html

So the land is already owned by another developer, who has a development proposal already.

This is going nowhere.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Why did they ever move out of Phoenix in the first place - was it because of the Suns arena? (Was listening to TSNs Overdrive yesterday when Jaime McClennan mentioned this)

I don’t know how you can put an arena outside of a major metropolis. I’m surprised Anaheim ‘gets away’ with it TBH

In the end, I feel for the Arizona fans. It sucks watching everyone on the outside dumping on them

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would expect this. Could the new lease take power away from the Suns about bringing in another tenant? Is Ishbia more willing to partner than Sarver? Now if the recent renovation made moving the Coyotes downtown more difficult, it still doesn't hurt politicians to float the idea. There's no harm in "hey, we're willing to work here". If they are truly interested, it will cost a lot of money to do another renovation.
Article says it would be private funds thus falls on the coyotes to pay as the Suns won’t and have no reason to. But what is the payoff for the coyotes to spend $200 mill on it? Do they get a cut of the non hockey/basketball revenues afterwards? For other nhl teams that share with an nba team it’s either an even split, they have the same owner, or the nhl team operates the arena. Don’t have one where the nba team operates the arena while the nhl team is the tenant.

Why would the suns give that up when they currently have it to themselves? Only if they have skin in the game of the coyotes from an ownership pov.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Do you know where to find the turnout numbers for the last Tempe election?

The Maricopa results page shows the March 2022 Council election in Tempe with a turnout of 21,338 people. Not sure if there's a party breakdown in the txt file though. Probably would be easier if you searched @sfalmy on Twitter around March 2022. If it exists he most likely did the work and mocked it up.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Why did they ever move out of Phoenix in the first place - was it because of the Suns arena? (Was listening to TSNs Overdrive yesterday when Jaime McClennan mentioned this)

I don’t know how you can put an arena outside of a major metropolis. I’m surprised Anaheim ‘gets away’ with it TBH

In the end, I feel for the Arizona fans. It sucks watching everyone on the outside dumping on them

This comes from Richard Burke, one of the original owners of the Coyotes when they moved to Phoenix.

When the Coyotes first moved to Phoenix the average team payroll was $17 million. The break even point for them was $29 million and by year three they had exceeded it. When Burke sold the team to the Ellman/Gretzky/Moyes group the average was $44 million.

You hear that Mr Meruelo?...That is the sound of inevitability...It is the sound of your death...Goodbye, Mr Meruelo...

I hear a lot of blustering and crowing from the cheap seats.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I hope this isn't the "plan b" they've talked about. Even as a "plan c", it's not good. They would be years away from anything happening and they've just opened the door.

Edit to add:
Maybe Meruelo's tolerance for losses is greater than most think and he's willing to fund losses until he gets his development.
It's easy when you're not the one covering the losses and haven't paid a dime for this organization to begin with. At least that's been my theory on his "ownership" all along.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

To quote:

Uh huh..... Verde Investments. same group that have sat on a chunk of the TED site for over ten years.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The Maricopa results page shows the March 2022 Council election in Tempe with a turnout of 21,338 people. Not sure if there's a party breakdown in the txt file though. Probably would be easier if you searched @sfalmy on Twitter around March 2022. If it exists he most likely did the work and mocked it up.

Had a look but don't see any mention of party registration. Thanks for the tips tho.

Reactions: Shwan

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So that is more along the lines of covering expenses rather than revenue though. In any case its ASM's call now not Glendale's.

There would also be any sales taxes Glendale collected in and around the arena as a result of the games.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
After seeing how this turned against Tempe council, political appetite has to be near zero to contribute any public funds, especially with Meruelo involved.

Any project on that site is going to require some public funds.

What Tempe and the Coyotes tried to was cover those costs using a method that protected the current Tempe residents from.

The land fill has to be cleaned up and the clock on it is ticking. The water table is slowly encroaching into that land fill and there is no guarantee there isn't something buried there that could pose a health hazard.

So unless the city can find another developer willing to take that risk on like the Coyotes were willing to.... all those voters who thought they were voting to "stop giving tax dollars to corrupt billionaires" are going to get the bill. Somewhere between $60-200 million depending on how the cleanup is financed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad