CXLI - UPDATE 1/27 - Coyotes working on deal to play at 5,000-seat arena at ASU

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I suspect that only one will be approved to move forward. And I would expect that said approval will be based in part on the financial integrity and ethics shown by the winning developer.

There’s no competition between developers here. If you’re not familiar with Tempe it’s difficult to convey how massive the redevelopment of land owned by ASU, Tempe and private owners has been the past decade+ since Tempe came up with the Tempe Town Lake/Rio Salado concept. And it will continue to be a high growth/redevelopment area for at least another decade, especially as the ASU Athletic Facilities District is redeveloped.

Reactions: Pandemonia

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Yeah… it’s an annual symposium of sports business leaders put on by Sports Business Journal. Gave a presentation of the Tempe proposal while he was there.

2021 Dealmakers in Sports

He was on a plane home from it when all the unpaid taxes story broke and had to field questions about it in flight.

Other than that… it’s nothing.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Tempe 11 | City of Tempe, AZ

Meeting is going on right now tonight to discuss the Tempe arena, and based on reports, it seems that the deal is likely going to die by a 4-3 "No" vote.

They won’t put it in front of the council if they don’t have a yes in place. They don’t.

The city hired people to do a due diligence on ownership, guessing that didn’t work out well.

My understanding is that ownership is now pursuing a deal with Salt River tribe on a deal. A lot less due diligence, a lot less focus on residential.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
They won’t put it in front of the council if they don’t have a yes in place. They don’t.

The city hired people to do a due diligence on ownership, guessing that didn’t work out well.

My understanding is that ownership is now pursuing a deal with Salt River tribe on a deal. A lot less due diligence, a lot less focus on residential.
That discussion was on a different development.

Yotes project won't come up until next month

Reactions: TheLegend

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Your ear to the ground is a 1,000 miles away.

He just paid attention to what I posted. ;)

Two things happened last week.

There was a symposium of candidates running for 3 open spots on the city council in March.

There was $1.8 billion mixed use project for a site on Tempe Town Lake 2-3 miles east of where Meruelo plans to build the arena. It was initially planned back in 2006 but got shelved due to the recession and was resurrected in 2018. It finally reached the city council for approval to purchase the land and a lot of people misinterpreted it as the Meruelo proposal. A second (and final) hearing for that land purchase was scheduled for February 10th.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Tempe 11 | City of Tempe, AZ

Meeting is going on right now tonight to discuss the Tempe arena, and based on reports, it seems that the deal is likely going to die by a 4-3 "No" vote.

That discussion was on a different development.

Yotes project won't come up until next month

Your ear to the ground is a 1,000 miles away.

He just paid attention to what I posted. ;)

Two things happened last week.

There was a symposium of candidates running for 3 open spots on the city council in March.

There was $1.8 billion mixed use project for a site on Tempe Town Lake 2-3 miles east of where Meruelo plans to build the arena. It was initially planned back in 2006 but got shelved due to the recession and was resurrected in 2018. It finally reached the city council for approval to purchase the land and a lot of people misinterpreted it as the Meruelo proposal. A second (and final) hearing for that land purchase was scheduled for February 10th.

And, as far as my ear to the ground is hearing anything.....right now Tempe City Council has 3 members in favor, 2 against, and 2 leaning against. All, while waiting the consultant's report next month.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Can someone either give me a high-level overview or point me to a high-level overview about the Salt River tribe stuff?

I was under the impression that wasn't an option but I could have been mistaken.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Can someone either give me a high-level overview or point me to a high-level overview about the Salt River tribe stuff?

I was under the impression that wasn't an option but I could have been mistaken.

There’s only been speculation that they were the other option Meruelo referred to months ago.

The tribe currently has an MLB spring training site on their reservation for the Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.

Salt River Fields | #1 Spring Training Facility

Since they’re already working with two pro teams it just seems logical they could entertain having an NHL team take up residence. But like everything else there’s caveats to it.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
There’s only been speculation that they were the other option Meruelo referred to months ago.

The tribe currently has an MLB spring training site on their reservation for the Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.

Salt River Fields | #1 Spring Training Facility

Since they’re already working with two pro teams it just seems logical they could entertain having an NHL team take up residence. But like everything else there’s caveats to it.

Thanks, much appreciated. If I've learned anything from this saga it's that I'd rather plead ignorance than feign knowledge. :laugh:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
And, as far as my ear to the ground is hearing anything.....right now Tempe City Council has 3 members in favor, 2 against, and 2 leaning against. All, while waiting the consultant's report next month.

Has anyone looked at Tempe City Council? I really hope it doesn't get to the point like it did in 2011/2012 where we all knew every member of Glendale City Council. I still remember Alverez, Clarke, Liberman, Kancak, Scruggs as mayor.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Has anyone looked at Tempe City Council? I really hope it doesn't get to the point like it did in 2011/2012 where we all knew every member of Glendale City Council. I still remember Alverez, Clarke, Liberman, Kancak, Scruggs as mayor.

Does it matter? If this goes into March there will be at least two new council members. Only one of the three open seats has an incumbent running.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Does it matter? If this goes into March there will be at least two new council members. Only one of the three open seats has an incumbent running.

What are the chances it DOESN'T go into March? It would seem like that wouldn't be able to make a final decision in one meeting in February.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What are the chances it DOESN'T go into March? It would seem like that wouldn't be able to make a final decision in one meeting in February.

If I’ve been interpreting Tempe’s procedures correctly there will be two public hearings. So it’s very feasible that Meruelo’s proposal would go into March.

The election is also in March but I haven’t looked into when those candidates would actually take office.

Cutting things tight? Definitely.

Edit: Did a little digging. New council members wouldn't be sworn in until July.

The Arizona Republic
The primary election will be held March 8 and the general election is scheduled for May 17, if needed.

New councilmembers will be sworn in at the first regular council meeting in July.

The election will be held by mail.

Ballots will be sent to registered voters beginning Feb. 10 for the primary election. Voters can request replacement ballots or drop off their ballots at voting centers on Election Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pandemonia

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

So are the 3 seats that are up in March occupied by pro-arena or anti-arena people?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Also depends on how late council decides. If it goes too late, it's possible the final agreement gets dealt with by the next council. If the undecideds remain so, it may get punted anyways.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Also depends on how late council decides. If it goes too late, it's possible the final agreement gets dealt with by the next council. If the undecideds remain so, it may get punted anyways.

If the next council has to decide it its not getting decided until August at the earliest. I cant see the NHL waiting until August to do anything. It would be one thing if the Yotes had somewhere to play next year but they dont. A temp facility is fine if the perm facility is being built. The team is not going to move into a temp facility indefinitely.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
If the next council has to decide it its not getting decided until August at the earliest. I cant see the NHL waiting until August to do anything. It would be one thing if the Yotes had somewhere to play next year but they dont. A temp facility is fine if the perm facility is being built. The team is not going to move into a temp facility indefinitely.

Yeah I can't see them waiting until August. The logistics would just be impossible.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Delaying a final decision would be the perfect way for Tempe council to back out of the deal.

Easy to claim that the Coyotes withdrew on their own, left the proposal too late, got kicked out of Glendale on their own accord, wouldn't allow time for proper consultation.

And, in a rarity for politics, these claims would all be true!

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I love all the wishful thinking this thread seems to perpetually generate.

Particularly among those who have absolutely no dog (pun intended) in this fight.

If the business world was actually grounded on it we’d all be laying around on our private islands counting our “Astro bucks.” :laugh:

This has been a two year process so far and an extra month or two at this point really isn’t going to matter.

Reactions: Jagged Ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad