Current state of Sens roster formation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Yo Gudas will be so perfect for this team just get that hard worker stud pay them whatever they want. Just adding him make this team playoff bound and so hard to play against 👍🏼
I think he has 2 yrs left at 4 mil, don't know how that will work. Would love him on the team though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have a hard time buying that Staios spent 2.6 mil to go out and grab a 4th liner or that Amadio chose to sign here to get 10 mins a night toiling away on a 4th line.

We shall see I suppose, but if the org does feel they need more experience on the fourth line, I'd expect them to pick up a UFA from what's left, someone like Nick Cousins or Matt Martin.
Chuckles!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There are approximately 60 faceoffs per game, if Ottawa can get over 50% in faceoffs they will control possession more, simple as that & more possession means more opportunities for & less opportunities against. The guys in bold are all good at faceoffs & all of them need to be over 50% for Ott to be better at possession, Tkachuk, Giroux & Cousins were all over 50% last yr.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux
Greig - Cousins - Perron
Gregor - Ostapchuk - Amadio/McEwan

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic

Ullmark - Forsberg
I doubt Stutzle plays 2LW; I would put him at 1C.

If Norris is not fully recovered, which I expect will be the case, Norris will play 2 or 3LW until he is ready. Pinto moves up to 2C until Norris is ready.

Perron is listed as a LW on Hockeydb although he shoots R; so I expect him to play 2 or 3LW depending on Norris' health.

Cousins ia a 4th liner; not a third liner. He is listed as a C that shoot L on Hocketdb so I expect to see him at either 4C or 4LW.

I think Amadio will play 3RW as RW is where he is listed and shoots R on Hockeydb. He is also paid to be more than a 4th liner.

MacEwen is our 4RW unless displaced by someone at training Camp; could be Ostapchuk but might be Crookshank, Gaudette, or whoever else steps forward to claim the position.

Reactions: Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This team is honestly so good to go. Natural positions and roles for every player on the team (hear me out), and easy to mix and match the forwards on the fly if need be.

Norris-Stu-Giroux
Brady-Pinto-Batherson
Perron-Greig-Amadio
Cousins
-(XXXX) - McEwen
Gregor/Crookshank

Ostapchuk/Highmore/Halliday fight it out for the 4C role. The 4th line wingers are going to bang hard and piss people off, and the centerman just needs to be the responsible one up high and up and down the middle. But the roles are finally going to be crystal clear on the 4th line - and that is to provide the most energy possible for team without hurting us. No illusions of offensive grandeur.

Chabby-Jensen
Sandy-Zub
Kleven-JBD
Hamonic/Guenette

ULMARK
Forsberg

Adding three effective cup winning grinders (each with a very different skillset) to the bottom 6 is huge. Our 3rd line could change some games with their "emotion invoking abilities" hehe, and bite, and also give the top 6 some legitimate support and take some pressure off them every once and while offensively. And between those 3rd and 4th lines of ours, some nasty folk might I say (in the best of ways), other teams are going to know they were in a battle if Brady and the gang up front didn't make it abundantly clear already.

Give Norris a chance on the wing with Stu imo. He has all the attributes of a top line caliber, athletically gifted two-way winger that can shoot and score while being in good spots at both ends of the ice. A powerful skater with stamina that can handle a lot of starts and stops, and gifted enough to carry the puck in on his stick when attacking with speed. But His vision and playmaking just aren't good enough for a $$ center imo. Not when he could be better used a workhorse kind of top line two-way winger with cannon of a shot, and not while we have Pinto and Greig in the lineup behind Stu.

The bottom 6-8 Dmen isnt perfect, but very few great teams have great 3rd pairings in reality if you look around the NHL. Kleven could be a beast, JBD is fine for a 3rd line RHD and has legitimate room left to grow into a reliable NHLer - so at least there is potential. And we have a well balanced high end top 4 d corps that devour hard minutes now (in theory), so the 3rd pairing can be spoon fed minutes if need be.

But Ulmark is an absurdly huge upgrade in our weakest area. And by far the biggest reason why I think this team is going to smash all expectations next season. We got a f***ing goalie and I pray to god we can keep him.
"And we have a well balanced high end top 4 d corps" - No we do not have a high end D core!

Jensen is in decline and I expect to see a 3rd pairing D'man.
Zub is a 2nd pair D'man.
Chabot is a poor man's 1st pair D'man.
Sanderson is showing great promise but is not a #1 D'man yet but I expect him to become one during the next 2 years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

If Norris is not fully recovered, which I expect will be the case, Norris will play 2 or 3LW until he is ready. Pinto moves up to 2C until Norris is ready.

Perron is listed as a LW on Hockeydb although he shoots R; so I expect him to play 2 or 3LW depending on Norris' health.

Cousins ia a 4th liner; not a third liner. He is listed as a C that shoot L on Hocketdb so I expect to see him at either 4C or 4LW.

I think Amadio will play 3RW as RW is where he is listed and shoots R on Hockeydb. He is also paid to be more than a 4th liner.

MacEwen is our 4RW unless displaced by someone at training Camp; could be Ostapchuk but might be Crookshank, Gaudette, or whoever else steps forward to claim the position.
Ya Stutzle will be #1C and I'd put bets down on that. This is my best guess to opening night and I think Perron ends up playing off wing over Norris on the wing, but they ease Norris in on a 3rd line. I also doubt they want MacEwan as a regular, so I'm in the camp of Cousins on the wing and a guy like Ostapchuk taking 4C.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Giroux
Perron - Norris - Amadio
Gregor - Ostapchuk - Cousins
MacEwan

Reactions: Bileur

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
"And we have a well balanced high end top 4 d corps" - No we do not have a high end D core!

Zub is a 2nd pair D'man.
Sanderson is showing great promise but is not a #1 D'man yet but I expect him to become one during the next 2 years.
I think it's fair to have doubt, but I think this is a pessimistic view that just as easily could turn out to be wrong.

Jensen is just turning 34 this month and may have just had a slightly down year by his standards, he's not a corpse.

Chabot needs to stay healthy as his biggest question mark. Andlauer said they invested heavily in this during the offseason renos and made it sound like the previous regime was a bit of a joke in that regard with their facilities.

Sanderson may be ready to be #1 now.

If we have 2 solid top pairings, it doesn't really matter which one Zub slots on. Hopefully he can stay healthyish.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Greig & Cousins could easily switch places, you may be right about Stutzle, but I don't trust him at centre, he is too erratic with the puck & takes too many risks & doesn't seem to know how to manage it properly, hopefully Green will correct that.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Greig & Cousins could easily switch places, you may be right about Stutzle, but I don't trust him at centre, he is too erratic with the puck & takes too many risks & doesn't seem to know how to manage it properly, hopefully Green will correct that.
I agree; however, I expect Stutzle to mature his game as he gains more experience and has a coach who clearly identifies the C role, responsibilities and requirements, and then holds him accountable. I hope Green is that coach. Stu is still very young.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Zub is a 2nd pair D'man.
Brock Faber has played a full season less than Sando yet if you were to poll Minny fans he would be stapled to their top pair, and for good reason. Sanderson is as much a top pairing D as Faber so why can't we as SENS fans pencil him into our top pair at the same age?

That puts your 1B dman in Chabot down to the second pair which is a cup contending calibre 1-2 punch on the left side, assuming reduced deployment leads to a return to form for Chabot.

Zub is a top pairing D on all but the most elite top pairings like COL and VAN. The support guy on the top pair does not need to be a shiny toy. He needs to be responsible, read off and find chemistry with the #1 guy, Sando in this case. Nobody expected Hronek to push his ceiling as high as he has yet paired with Hughes he looks like a prototypical #2 guy. I'm not saying Zub is Hronek or the pairing is as good but the right chemistry is a huge piece to how effective that #2 guy can be and I Zub has all the makings to be a perfectly suitable top pairing support guy.

Florida just won the cup with a defence that did not look great on paper entering the season. On top of that Ekblad missed half the season and Montour regressed yet somehow that D helped them win a cup. Chemistry and coaching has so much to do with it.

Jensen you likely have a point on. On a deep team in a non salary cap world he is probably relegated to the third pair. But again, chemistry and coaching can do wonders for defensive pairings.

Reactions: Masked

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Nice writeup in the Athletic on ranking the U23 talent in the NHL. Sens have three players in the top 13 league wide, Stutzle, Yakemchuk, Sanderson. Writeup is by Pronman, who is very high on Yak.

The high-end young talent on the roster is still developing. How Stutzle and Sanderson grow this season will be the most important factor in if the team breaks through.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
We need a solid vet D to play top 4 just in case any of Chabot/sandy/zub go out.

Shattenkirk signed with BOS last year for 1mil. Hess a year older, but could still give service 3rd pairing minutes and can go up the line up in case of injuries. He’d be a good mentor to Kleven, JBD

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - Shattenkirk
JBD - Hamonic

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
What are "building processes and a framework for decision making" for those of us not equiped with corporate gobbledygook comprehension?

Reactions: SENStastic

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'm still surprised that crookshank hasn't been able to break onto the roster permanently. I guess a few injuries really pushed him down tge depth chart.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Perron - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Amadio
Gregor - Cousins - Gaudette
MacEwan

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - ?

LW looks a little light. Perron prefers RW, but not sure if Giroux would be a better fit on the left side. Batherson is the team's best passer, so I like him with two shooters in Norris and Tkachuk. Third line has sandpaper and the fourth can fly. Wish we could upgrade the 3rd pairing on D.

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Perron said in interviews he prefers to play his strong side (right).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Jason York has said 2-3 times in the last few weeks the Sens are going to bring in another Dman during pre season who will be an upgrade on what they have. Tempting even if it’s a bottom pairing guy who can just give you something more reliable then JBD/Hammer. Would go a long way as well to find a vet Kleven can play and learn with who’s just steady and knows the NHL

Reactions: BigRig4

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Jason York has said 2-3 times in the last few weeks the Sens are going to bring in another Dman during pre season who will be an upgrade on what they have. Tempting even if it’s a bottom pairing guy who can just give you something more reliable then JBD/Hammer. Would go a long way as well to find a vet Kleven can play and learn with who’s just steady and knows the NHL
Via waiver wire or trade?

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
If he plays top 6, and gets his wish, Batherson slides to the left side, I’d assume.
If Amadio is in our top 6, then we've already resigned ourselves to tanking at that point, we're not competing for anything but a top draft pick if that's where he's slotted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad