Current state of Sens roster formation

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think I would try:

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Perron - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Amadio
Gregor - Ostapchuk - MacEwen

See if the first line clicks again. Norris and Batherson have great chemistry and I think they need a guy on their line that’s good down low and at maintaining possession, so at least on paper I think Perron could be great with them. Third line would be a fun match-up line.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD

Give Sanderson the better partner as they can take on the tough matchups and leave Chabot free to feast on lower competition.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Just wanted to raise awareness and show some aapreciation for Travis Green’s mullet

It’s party on the top AND party in the back. This guy means business

Not that a haircut sets a culture, but if you went into a corner with a dude who has hair like this you’d be worried for your teeth and Ottawa needs way more of that
View attachment 893035
I give it a 10 for Mulletude but only a 5 for aggressiveness.

Reactions: milkbag

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have an identical top 9 slotted.

To start the year, Tkachuk - Stutzle - Perron needs to happen. Perron can be that mentor who teaches Timmy how to be sneaky dirty and create space for himself. Can help him regulate his emotions in a productive way. And Brady and Perron with their history would go through brick walls for each other out there.

Giroux as a third liner will be deadly, and I bet Amadio will be a pleasant surprise. Need Norris to get around the ice properly, though, for that line to work.

Good point, Timmy is fiery and he gets off his game when his ego takes over and he needs help more then Brady does controlling himself - Perron gunna help all that

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would keep Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson together personally. Batherson played his best hockey on that line and they were tough to contain. I think I'd have that as a top/matchup and energy line. I would try to maximize the output from Batherson I think he's an X-factor in this lineup. When he's on his game he's a force and we need him to play at that level. These 3 compliment each other well.

Shelter Stutzle and give him favourable matchups with Perron and Giroux. I'm thinking this could help him slow the game down and both Perron and Giroux can make plays and shoot the puck. It would be an unpredictable line that plays with passion. This should also incentivize Stutzle to put more focus on the defensive side of the play with two vets. I also think it could help Stutzle simplify his game.

Ease Norris in with a lesser role with less expectations. Amadio and Greig should make for a great checking line and that line has good speed and reliability on both sides of the ice. If Norris can't take faceoffs put Greig at center and Norris on LW.

I'm guessing they will re-sign Katchouk. If/when they add another solid guy on that 4th line with Gregor it will be a pretty drastic change from previous years. Gregor creates with his speed and Katchouk can skate, forecheck and play a 7-8 good minutes a night. Having a 4th line that can actually put the other team on their heels will be massive for this team for generating momentum.

Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Perron - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Amadio
Katchouk - Gregor - *Addition
MacEwen

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - *Addition
JBD
Hamonic

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Crookshank gets no love. I’d give him a shot on the fourth line

He could surprise in camp and earn a spot but ideally you don't want to hand him a roster spot. He hasn't done anything to warrant a roster spot over other guys IMO.

There will be battles for those last spots.

Katchouk, Ostapchuk, Crookshank, Halliday. Hopefully add in 1 or 2 other guys to fight for a spot and give an opportunity to the player that shows the most.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Who ends up on that 4th line will be interesting, while most know who the top 9 should be regardless of who plays with who that 4th line will be interesting who Green decides to go with. I like both Ostapchuk & Halliday to make this team out of camp, but it could end up being just one of them & Halliday is a yr older. With this lineup Ottawa has players on three lines who can take a left side draw & a right side draw, winning faceoffs increases possession time.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux - Giroux is a better playmaker than Perron
Norris - Pinto - Batherson - 3 guys with 50 pt plus potential
Perron - Greig - Amadio - Perron should help mentor Greig & he'll also add scoring here
Ostapchuk - Halliday - MacEwan/Gregor - Halliday could create more scoring from the 4th line

Chabot - Zub - Zub should be able to help Chabot be better
Sandersen - Jensen - I think we want a decent mentor for Sandy
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD - Hamonic mentors Kleven & JBD

Ullmark - Forsberg - finally get a decent goalie in Ott
Except for you balls right D slot on the the third pairing, this is where it should be

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You can move the pieces around all you want but unless we get another top-9 winger and a good #5 dman, this roster is not very good.

Reactions: Cosmix

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
You can move the pieces around all you want but unless we get another top-9 winger and a good #5 dman, this roster is not very good.
I don’t see anything wrong with our top 9 honestly.

Our defence is where most of the question marks lie, but I’d argue the biggest factor is what we get out of Chabot and Jensen vs a # 5 dman. Our bottom pairing is likely not going to be great, but you can live with that for now if the top 4 is solid.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Yep.
If Chabot finds his groove, and we stay healthy our top 4 will be great.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The bottom pairing guy and 4th liner will play out, but they aren’t going to make or break this team at all.

We have a good team with an excellent young core. I find it strange that some fans think we don’t have a good team.
Is it really that strange after so many years of missing the playoffs? People will come around when the team starts winning games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, new coach and some new faces, do we mix up the lines or see the same as last year give or take? I've always like the idea of making duos and having a third guy shift around

Some potential duo options

xxx-Norris-Batherson
xxx-Stu-Giroux
Tkachuk-Norris-xxx (Classic Chuck Norris duo)
Greig-Pinto-xxx (shift between skilled guys or make more of a shutdown/grind line depending on the RW)
Tkachuk-Stu-xxx (Either Giroux and Bath would work well here, but Perron might make sense against some teams)
Tkachuk-xxx-Batherson
Greig-xxx-Perron (with either Norris or Pinto as a grindy third)

I'd like to see them quickly lock down on who plays with who on D, I could see Jensen with either of Chabot or Sanderson,

Reactions: Duncstar

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The bottom pairing guy and 4th liner will play out, but they aren’t going to make or break this team at all.

We have a good team with an excellent young core. I find it strange that some fans think we don’t have a good team.
We need one more capable RD. Depth is pretty important and being one injury away from having JBD and Hamonic both in the lineup is not an improvement

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We need one more capable RD. Depth is pretty important and being one injury away from having JBD and Hamonic both in the lineup is not an improvement
Those depth pieces will need to be very cheap and get through waivers.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
So, new coach and some new faces, do we mix up the lines or see the same as last year give or take? I've always like the idea of making duos and having a third guy shift around

Some potential duo options

xxx-Norris-Batherson
xxx-Stu-Giroux
Tkachuk-Norris-xxx (Classic Chuck Norris duo)
Greig-Pinto-xxx (shift between skilled guys or make more of a shutdown/grind line depending on the RW)
Tkachuk-Stu-xxx (Either Giroux and Bath would work well here, but Perron might make sense against some teams)
Tkachuk-xxx-Batherson
Greig-xxx-Perron (with either Norris or Pinto as a grindy third)

I'd like to see them quickly lock down on who plays with who on D, I could see Jensen with either of Chabot or Sanderson,
I like the duo options and the nhl has moved towards duos and balanced lines (typically 3 and a grinder).

I think we try to make 3 balanced lines attack. It's critical that Norris is paired with players that can get him going.

Pairs:
Stutzle Giroux
Tkachuk Norris
Pinto Batherson

Lines
Tkachuk Norris Perron
Grieg Stutzle Giroux
Crookshank Pinto Batherson

3 balanced line of attack. Pesky players on every line. Everyone playing strong sides.

I think this is the look tbh. Leaving

Gregor, Amadio and a camp battle spot or MacEwen. Amadio has done C tho has a slight RW preference; Ostapchuk can compete and hopefully MacEwen is the 13F.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like the duo options and the nhl has moved towards duos and balanced lines (typically 3 and a grinder).

I think we try to make 3 balanced lines attack. It's critical that Norris is paired with players that can get him going.

Pairs:
Stutzle Giroux
Tkachuk Norris
Pinto Batherson

Lines
Tkachuk Norris Perron
Grieg Stutzle Giroux
Crookshank Pinto Batherson

3 balanced line of attack. Pesky players on every line. Everyone playing strong sides.

I think this is the look tbh. Leaving

Gregor, Amadio and a camp battle spot or MacEwen. Amadio has done C tho has a slight RW preference; Ostapchuk can compete and hopefully MacEwen is the 13F.
I really don't see Amadio being pushed out of the top 9, he was productive on a contender in VGK. Certainly not right out of the gateanyways. At minimum, he's going to get a look on that third line and Crookshank is the one that will need to battle for a spot

Reactions: Dionysus and DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would keep Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson together personally. Batherson played his best hockey on that line and they were tough to contain. I think I'd have that as a top/matchup and energy line. I would try to maximize the output from Batherson I think he's an X-factor in this lineup. When he's on his game he's a force and we need him to play at that level. These 3 compliment each other well.

Shelter Stutzle and give him favourable matchups with Perron and Giroux. I'm thinking this could help him slow the game down and both Perron and Giroux can make plays and shoot the puck. It would be an unpredictable line that plays with passion. This should also incentivize Stutzle to put more focus on the defensive side of the play with two vets. I also think it could help Stutzle simplify his game.

Ease Norris in with a lesser role with less expectations. Amadio and Greig should make for a great checking line and that line has good speed and reliability on both sides of the ice. If Norris can't take faceoffs put Greig at center and Norris on LW.

I'm guessing they will re-sign Katchouk. If/when they add another solid guy on that 4th line with Gregor it will be a pretty drastic change from previous years. Gregor creates with his speed and Katchouk can skate, forecheck and play a 7-8 good minutes a night. Having a 4th line that can actually put the other team on their heels will be massive for this team for generating momentum.

Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Perron - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Norris - Amadio
Katchouk - Gregor - *Addition
MacEwen

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Jensen
Kleven - *Addition
JBD
Hamonic
I suspect Kleven will need to play with a vet during his first season, so Jensen might wind up at 3RD with Kleven. Jensen would also get PK minutes but no PP minutes.

JBD could play RD with Chabot if we cannot get someone better. Maybe we can trade JBD with a pick or prospect to get another RD vet (hopefully under age 30).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I really don't see Amadio being pushed out of the top 9, he was productive on a contender in VGK. Certainly not right out of the gateanyways. At minimum, he's going to get a look on that third line and Crookshank is the one that will need to battle for a spot
100%. Crookshank would really have to show out to take that spot and they aren't paying Amadio what he makes to occupy the 4th line. Amadio's averaged 17+ goals per 82 over the last 3 seasons. He definitely belongs in the top 9.

I suspect Kleven will need to play with a vet during his first season, so Jensen might wind up at 3RD with Kleven. Jensen would also get PK minutes but no PP minutes.

JBD could play RD with Chabot if we cannot get someone better. Maybe we can trade JBD with a pick or prospect to get another RD vet (hopefully under age 30).
I think they'll be more concerned with giving Chabot a steady partner he needs that is used to playing similar minutes. Jensen is a proven 20 minute NHL defender while JBD should not be playing those kinds of minutes imo. It's a tricky situation. Would be nice if they could upgrade on JBD, but that also likely means he's gone entirely.

Reactions: Cosmix

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If Norris has a good enough shoulder to take draws:

Chuck - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Stu - Giroux
Amadio - Pinto - Perron
leftovers

If he doesn't, move Norris to the wing, Pinto up a line, and Greig to center the third line.

Reactions: Duncstar

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
He's a versatile roamer but you want experience on every line and he does that for the 4th. Amadios contract, they need 20-30 points from him and that would be a steal. He will play up and down as injuries happen but I do think he starts on the 4th line for that vet experience and playing the right way attitude.

On Crooker He's going to have to battle hard but you can tell the org is going to give him a chance and tbh he is wasted on the 4th. I like him on the 3rd and he was a top player in Bellville last year. Better tools for 3LW imo.
If Norris has a good enough shoulder to take draws:

Chuck - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Stu - Giroux
Amadio - Pinto - Perron
leftovers

If he doesn't, move Norris to the wing, Pinto up a line, and Greig to center the third line.
Very weak 4th line, need an experienced vet there. Telling ya it's Amadio to start.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I wonder how it's going to work when two of the top nine and one of the top four on D are out hurt, which should be the case on average for most of the year. Everyone has injuries, but not everyone completely falls apart like this team did the last two years when they hit. Is that because the other guys had better depth or because their systems and heads could handle it? That'll be the test of the attempt to mature this team, both by the coaching choice and the FA signings.

Reactions: DrEasy and Duncstar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad